Old January 22, 2001, 20:48   #121
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good idea. I'd get a well-rounded AI first before trying anything with diplomacy.

I've got a history file in my mod that tracks changes and what they do. Does this cover it? If not I should be able to come up with something more detailed. Though a lot of my experimentations have ended in CTP2 crashing severely or hardware locking. Don't ask me how, but it can hardware lock on ya.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 22, 2001, 20:48   #122
Dale
Emperor

Good idea. I'd get a well-rounded AI first before trying anything with diplomacy.

I've got a history file in my mod that tracks changes and what they do. Does this cover it? If not I should be able to come up with something more detailed. Though a lot of my experimentations have ended in CTP2 crashing severely or hardware locking. Don't ask me how, but it can hardware lock on ya.

------------------

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old January 23, 2001, 17:06   #123
thanatos.tod
Settler

Local Time: 09:53
as i said in the sec/mod forum, u made the AI somewhat too diplomatic
Old January 23, 2001, 17:06   #124
thanatos.tod
Settler

as i said in the sec/mod forum, u made the AI somewhat too diplomatic
Old January 23, 2001, 19:22   #125
Dale
Emperor

I've found the cause of all my crashes in the patched CTP2. It was occuring within the exchange advance for gold section. It appears that the bug within the diplomacy causes a program crash with my mod. I had to disable it and got no crashes after testing for over an hour (used to get a crash on average every five minutes of gameplay). I'll try to find a workaround, but I doubt I'll get anything to work properly. In the meantine, I'll have a beta of V3.0 ready tomorrow, and will email to the couple of replys I've had. If you want to help me test the diplomacy, let me know.

BTW, I've toned down (read that as refined ) the acceptance levels so that you can't just get everything from the AI. I'll try to get a proper withdraw troops going so the AI actually does retreat instead of fortifying in your territory. This (I hope) should also help the AI's in reaching their limitation of a turn-limit without troops in another AI's territory before requesting/accepting agreements.

------------------

Old January 23, 2001, 19:22   #126
Dale
Emperor

I've found the cause of all my crashes in the patched CTP2. It was occuring within the exchange advance for gold section. It appears that the bug within the diplomacy causes a program crash with my mod. I had to disable it and got no crashes after testing for over an hour (used to get a crash on average every five minutes of gameplay). I'll try to find a workaround, but I doubt I'll get anything to work properly. In the meantine, I'll have a beta of V3.0 ready tomorrow, and will email to the couple of replys I've had. If you want to help me test the diplomacy, let me know.

BTW, I've toned down (read that as refined ) the acceptance levels so that you can't just get everything from the AI. I'll try to get a proper withdraw troops going so the AI actually does retreat instead of fortifying in your territory. This (I hope) should also help the AI's in reaching their limitation of a turn-limit without troops in another AI's territory before requesting/accepting agreements.

------------------

Old January 23, 2001, 23:01   #127
kormer
Chieftain

Dale, I had to take your mod out of my scenario for it to work. I kept getting an error, diplomod:39 array index 1 out of bounds. Might want to check that one out, I think that was the variable for # of players in a game, and since I have more than 8 it might create a problem somewhere.
Old January 23, 2001, 23:01   #128
kormer
Chieftain

Dale, I had to take your mod out of my scenario for it to work. I kept getting an error, diplomod:39 array index 1 out of bounds. Might want to check that one out, I think that was the variable for # of players in a game, and since I have more than 8 it might create a problem somewhere.
Old January 23, 2001, 23:25   #129
Dale
Emperor

Kormer, yeah I know of that one. V3.0 covers that bug.

------------------

Old January 23, 2001, 23:25   #130
Dale
Emperor

Kormer, yeah I know of that one. V3.0 covers that bug.

------------------

Old January 24, 2001, 00:35   #131
kormer
Chieftain

Odd, I wonder why it was working for me before. Oh well, guess it had to do with my other problems of the slic coding not working at all. Make sure to include my name on the list getting version 3.0 tomorrow.
Old January 24, 2001, 00:35   #132
kormer
Chieftain

Odd, I wonder why it was working for me before. Oh well, guess it had to do with my other problems of the slic coding not working at all. Make sure to include my name on the list getting version 3.0 tomorrow.
Old January 24, 2001, 01:51   #133
blinder2451
Settler

This ain't Tomb Raider!
Ok, I remember my sister and my girlfriend said they hated some video games cuz they were always getting killed.

Meanwhile I would keep playing, dying a lot but progressing through the levels. Killing the boss meant dying a few times until you found their vulnerable spot. For some reason, my female friends could take this with Mario Bros, any other game made it too intense. (There were a lot of 'Fighters' but only the Simpsons brought both sexes, and you die a lot in that game!)

My point is, some of us want to play a peaceful game of Civilization or Call to Power. Others want to die and deal death and convert the planet to a wasteland.

Thanks for all the help getting the AI to kill me! I can't wait to see what's next.
Old January 24, 2001, 01:51   #134
blinder2451
Settler

Ok, I remember my sister and my girlfriend said they hated some video games cuz they were always getting killed.

Meanwhile I would keep playing, dying a lot but progressing through the levels. Killing the boss meant dying a few times until you found their vulnerable spot. For some reason, my female friends could take this with Mario Bros, any other game made it too intense. (There were a lot of 'Fighters' but only the Simpsons brought both sexes, and you die a lot in that game!)

My point is, some of us want to play a peaceful game of Civilization or Call to Power. Others want to die and deal death and convert the planet to a wasteland.

Thanks for all the help getting the AI to kill me! I can't wait to see what's next.
Old January 24, 2001, 01:51   #135
blinder2451
Settler

Old January 26, 2001, 03:44   #136
magma12
Chieftain

I have download the BlueO frenzy, first I install the
complete diplomat and strategy. I also add new unit and advance to the game. I notice that I can exchange tech with out first install Embassy and the AI are very friendly to me but that is not the problem. The problem is around 13-1500 AD one of the AI develope Gaia Control wonder! I use the cheat mode to see if it has the advance to do it and it does! and the shocking part is it doesn't have all the advance require to reach it. I havn't change anything in the advance.txt relate to gain control tech.

So I reinstall the game and this time use my new unit, advance and use only strategy from Frenzy. Same thing
happen. Anyone has experience this problem?
Old January 26, 2001, 03:44   #137
magma12
Chieftain

I have download the BlueO frenzy, first I install the
complete diplomat and strategy. I also add new unit and advance to the game. I notice that I can exchange tech with out first install Embassy and the AI are very friendly to me but that is not the problem. The problem is around 13-1500 AD one of the AI develope Gaia Control wonder! I use the cheat mode to see if it has the advance to do it and it does! and the shocking part is it doesn't have all the advance require to reach it. I havn't change anything in the advance.txt relate to gain control tech.

So I reinstall the game and this time use my new unit, advance and use only strategy from Frenzy. Same thing
happen. Anyone has experience this problem?
Old January 26, 2001, 09:50   #138
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 04:53
YES! I have had this problem also, but I have only used my own modifications. I have added advances, units, and a couple of wonders/improvements. I am very puzzled by this also. I don't know why it happens.

Although it's very odd, it does not really affect gameplay because there is no way for the AI to build enough obelisks to make the wonder. So I just continue playing. The only problem is the AI devoting resources to the Gaia Controller instead of other things. Oh well.

If anyone knows why this would happen, please let me know. As magma12 says, the computer obtains the pre-req advance for Gaia but does not have ANY of the pre-req's for THAT advance. Very strange.

[This message has been edited by Colonel Kraken (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old January 26, 2001, 09:50   #139
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 04:53
YES! I have had this problem also, but I have only used my own modifications. I have added advances, units, and a couple of wonders/improvements. I am very puzzled by this also. I don't know why it happens.

Although it's very odd, it does not really affect gameplay because there is no way for the AI to build enough obelisks to make the wonder. So I just continue playing. The only problem is the AI devoting resources to the Gaia Controller instead of other things. Oh well.

If anyone knows why this would happen, please let me know. As magma12 says, the computer obtains the pre-req advance for Gaia but does not have ANY of the pre-req's for THAT advance. Very strange.

[This message has been edited by Colonel Kraken (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old January 26, 2001, 11:57   #140
magma12
Chieftain

Well, I have remove the Frenzy and try again. It still
happen it is not date that trigger it, it is just a few turn
after I aquire explosive. I double check advance.txt and wonder.txt there is no change to the gain control tech.

Odd, isn't it?
Old January 26, 2001, 11:57   #141
magma12
Chieftain

Well, I have remove the Frenzy and try again. It still
happen it is not date that trigger it, it is just a few turn
after I aquire explosive. I double check advance.txt and wonder.txt there is no change to the gain control tech.

Odd, isn't it?
Old January 28, 2001, 20:41   #142
Dale
Emperor

The one that annoys me is the message I get when I discover the tech for the solaris project (don't know what it is) and it then tells me I've built the solaris project. Funny, I don't remember turning a city onto that. Hey look, it's still in my building options. Hmmmmm.............

------------------

Old January 28, 2001, 20:41   #143
Dale
Emperor

The one that annoys me is the message I get when I discover the tech for the solaris project (don't know what it is) and it then tells me I've built the solaris project. Funny, I don't remember turning a city onto that. Hey look, it's still in my building options. Hmmmmm.............

------------------

Old January 29, 2001, 19:22   #144
MR. SADDAM

THe AI are trespassers Regardless.What you do is reverse thinking.Be like the AI. Go into there border ,fortify near there capitol, and use there roads. More often then not they will ask you to leave.tell them no

Old January 29, 2001, 19:22   #145
MR. SADDAM

THe AI are trespassers Regardless.What you do is reverse thinking.Be like the AI. Go into there border ,fortify near there capitol, and use there roads. More often then not they will ask you to leave.tell them no

Old January 29, 2001, 22:52   #146
Dale
Emperor

Or download 'withdraw' from the files db and have them automatically expelled for you when they agree.

------------------

Old January 29, 2001, 22:52   #147
Dale
Emperor

Or download 'withdraw' from the files db and have them automatically expelled for you when they agree.

------------------

Old January 30, 2001, 14:22   #148
John Barbarossa
Warlord

Huge pat on the back to you Dale. I always admired those mod designers for the old Civ 2, but their work was as nothing compared to the challenge of getting CTP2 to behave more realistically. You are to be praised for the mere attempt, but the fact you have pulled it off to such wide aclaim is to your great credit. Thanks.

On to my (probably silly) question. If you make the science pact a part of the peace treaty (great idea btw, much more realistic) will it not mean that the science bug that gives the AI a new advance every turn or two be exaserbated?
Old January 30, 2001, 14:22   #149
John Barbarossa
Warlord

Huge pat on the back to you Dale. I always admired those mod designers for the old Civ 2, but their work was as nothing compared to the challenge of getting CTP2 to behave more realistically. You are to be praised for the mere attempt, but the fact you have pulled it off to such wide aclaim is to your great credit. Thanks.

On to my (probably silly) question. If you make the science pact a part of the peace treaty (great idea btw, much more realistic) will it not mean that the science bug that gives the AI a new advance every turn or two be exaserbated?
Old January 30, 2001, 19:04   #150
Dale
Emperor

John, thanks. You got me all embarrased now.

As to your research question:
The research bug is unfortunately inherited into the diplo script due to the fact it's internal to CTP2.EXE. This is the same for the advance-for-gold bug. Sorry folks.

------------------