Old February 5, 2001, 16:55   #61
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Settler

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Huysmans_666 on 02-05-2001 04:14 AM
Dale,

Great work man, the AI is crazy about each other !

But like always I have some problems and I think they are Diplomod related.
I never have any crashes or errors in an ordinary game, I do have em in Mods but that's life
Now, I installed your mod to be run with any normal game en thus I should have no errors, wrong, I've had 2 crashes to the desktop with no message and on 2 occasions the program returned to the desktop gave a weird message and returned to the game and I could continue.

The messages I got were really wierdand seemed to come from inside the game, not a text file or script, because it states the line with the error, It didn't know !
I wish I wrote down the error message but I didn't !!!
Is this diplomod related or what ?

Keep up the good work DALE !

I get the same crashes to desktop. No script error. Just crashes with windows illigal operation error. Happens every game eventually, though not for a couple hundred turns. Does not seem happen when pollution is off.
Old February 5, 2001, 19:22   #62
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
thanatos:
I'd say you're running without the CTP2 patch installed. That command is a patch-required command.

Others:
As to the desktop crash, I have no ideas. I've never had a crash (ran all the way through games a few times now). Tell me the actual specifics of what's transpired recently. Eg. "I made a withdraw agreement 5 turns ago and it crashed on the 5th turn for that civ." Things like that. That'll make it easier to find in the code. Also, if any line-numbers are mentioned, definitely get the line-number and error.

Thanks

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 6, 2001, 21:10   #63
Hydaspont
Settler

Local Time: 09:54
Some words about the crashes:

Hi Dale!

I think, the bug is in your Whithdraw mod. I usually play medium/small games so there's been some situations when my coutry is full of the other civ's settlers. I think when the mod want one unit to withdraw, there's no problem. But when 2 or 3 "notorius" unit -the same time- violate the borders again, (! they always wants back into my territory !) then the program crash to the desktop.

The non plus ultra is when i try to attack some of them: The program crash!

So the only solution is to declare war everyone which I made agreement? Brrr... So i please try to fix it, because it's Great mod anyway!

Thx Hydaspont

Opps. I also forget: I playing with the 1.1 patch, and using diplomod V3.2 and the Withdraw mod.
Old February 7, 2001, 06:41   #64
BlueO
Warlord

Local Time: 01:54
quote:

Originally posted by Hydaspont on 02-06-2001 08:10 PM
Some words about the crashes:

Hi Dale!

I think, the bug is in your Whithdraw mod. I usually play medium/small games so there's been some situations when my coutry is full of the other civ's settlers. I think when the mod want one unit to withdraw, there's no problem. But when 2 or 3 "notorius" unit -the same time- violate the borders again, (! they always wants back into my territory !) then the program crash to the desktop.

The non plus ultra is when i try to attack some of them: The program crash!

So the only solution is to declare war everyone which I made agreement? Brrr... So i please try to fix it, because it's Great mod anyway!

Thx Hydaspont

Opps. I also forget: I playing with the 1.1 patch, and using diplomod V3.2 and the Withdraw mod.

Hmm, if the problem is indeed with withdraw mod, I think the problem might be Event: Teleport. I haven't played ctp2 since I finished making the mod (got a bored with the game...), but I remember using teleport event awhile back, and got very very weird results. Might be safer to use the MoveUnit event. Then again, I wouldn't know since I haven't been playing the game lately...
Old February 7, 2001, 17:26   #65
Dale
Emperor

Actually, I found the problem. It was a typo causing a logic error. See the post "Withdraw mod updated" for more info.

------------------
Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 9, 2001, 04:12   #66
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

DALE :

Ok here goes, I've played till 2145 now and this are my findings.
- Diplomacy is good, but I don't hear from any of the civs in a decade but the 11th turn they all come banging at my door for advances. All at once, once this is over I don't hear from them for another 10 turns ! This strikes me as odd !

- Crash to desktop with error message ! I installed diplomod 3.2 loaded a savegame and reloaded the SLIC, normally this should work fine, but I pressed end turn and this is what I got : IN OBJECT : DIP_MAINROUTINE value out of bounds ! ???
Also the scots asked me for an advance that turns wich I countered with a advance request !
Does this help you ?

- Maybe not your mods fault, but I have one unit constantly walking in and out of my city, just one, but fortifying doesn't help it just walks !

-And last but not least, England calles me for an advance and at the same time an alliance but first I must break all ties with.......ENGLAND uhmm

Well thats it..I didn't update to the new withdraw script yet but I still had no crashes...THank god !

Hope I will be able to play a full game for the 1st time

Bye now !
Old February 10, 2001, 18:38   #67
preacherman
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:54
Dale, Got a problem loaded the dipmod and when started to play gave me error (ctp2_data/default/gamedata/scrip.slc 116:array index 0 out of bounds.) any idea what I did wrong? Also sense you are good with the diplomat part of this program, any chanch you could work on getting it to work in hotseat?
Old February 11, 2001, 23:58   #68
Dale
Emperor

Preacherman:
The file script.slc has nothing to do with the diplomacy mod. Open the file in word, goto line 116 and there's your culprit line. As for hotseat diplomacy, I don't think so.

Huys:
The 10 turn diplomacy must be just how the game's going. There's nothing random/forced about a ten turn thing. If anything, the forcing would make it every turn that I put in, but it only 'considers' each turn, not 'makes'. I've had CTP2 crash on me when I've made a change to the script and done /reloadslic. Unfortunately it's just one of those things. That's a new game thing. It's like Activision says: "No support for save games under the previous version." Is the wandering unit yours or an AI's? How'd you lose control of him? With break agreements, you must remember I re-enabled this. The fact that a civ can request breaking it's own ties may be why Activision disabled it. Just out of curiosity, did they request the alliance or you? Also, did you have any other agreements like trade or mil or science? My thoughts are that the AI didn't want the sci/mil/trade agreement (hence break agreement) but still wanted the alliance.

------------------
Old February 14, 2001, 21:23   #69
Damodred
Settler

Hey Dale,

New user here, just got CTP2 and after playing for quite a while noticed that something's not quite kosher - er, that is the AI seems to be nonexistent. Not only does it (still) want me to leave its borders, it continuously invades mine, never agrees to any proposals (I particularly like the map exchanging one where, one turn later it comes back at me with the exact same proposal), etc etc.

Since I'm a bit scared of the Frenzy mod , I figured I'd try out the Diplomod first, found your page and got ver 3.2.

Works very well! I'm quite impressed with some of your tweaks and whatnot, and disgusted at Activision for not putting in the effort to even make some patches to fix these obviously glaring problems...hooray for the mod community!

However. My "Messages" window has ceased to function. All the messages in there are now of this variety:

: {Player[0].sir}, we cannot support this many units!
! Warrior
: Citizen unrest
: This needs to be hooked up to the Great Library

All of them coming from I'm not sure where, since they don't seem to apply to anything (for example, I don't think I have any warriors in 2050 AD ...some sort of debugging statements? And some of those game messages were useful (mainly by telling me where the building Queue ran out)...is there a way to put them back, and *hide* the debugging stuff?

Cheers,

Damodred
Old February 14, 2001, 23:53   #70
Dale
Emperor

Damodred:
This is a common fault with people who install a mod but don't do the final step.

After loading a saved game for the first time after a mod install, follow this:

1 - press ' (apostraphy)
2 - type /reloadslic
3 - press Enter twice

This causes the scripts to refresh/reload. This may corrupt your game meaning you'll have to start a new game, but it's the only way to fix your problem.

------------------
Old February 15, 2001, 08:32   #71
Damodred
Settler

This is a direct cut'n'paste from the readme:

1 - Unzip files to Call to Power 2 install directory.
2 - Open: ctp2_data\default\gamedata\script.slc in notepad.
3 - Delete from bottom of file:
#include "diplomacy.slc"
4 - Add the following lines to bottom of file:
#include "withdraw.slc"
#include "diplomod.slc"
5 - Open: ctp2_data\english\gamedata\strings.txt
6 - Add the following line to bottom of file:
import "diplomod_str.txt"
7 - PLAY!

Might want to include that step you've mentioned... :P

I also changed the SpecialUnitsCount like you suggest in the readme - looking forward to try it out.

Do I have to do this final step every time I start a new game?

Thanks again!

Damodred
Old February 15, 2001, 17:30   #72
Dale
Emperor

Damodred:
The final step above that I mentioned is only required if you load a saved game from before the mod. If you install any mod at all or make any changes at all you must do the above step if you load from a saved game. If you start a new game then no need to do it as the new game loads the new/modified scripts.

------------------
Old February 15, 2001, 18:22   #73
Ganja
Chieftain

Dale - So let me get this straight. I start a new game using your diplomod 3.2 and I dont have to do anything. Now if I want to carry on the game at a later date, I save it and when the time comes to play it once more I load it up and have to use the "'" and type in those commands?
Old February 15, 2001, 19:36   #74
Dale
Emperor

You only need to do it if you use a saved game from before the diplomacy mod.

EG. Game 1 started before you install the diplomacy mod. After installing the mod you want to continue that game. You load the game then do the /reloadslic steps from above. You save the game again after playing for a while. You want to continue the next session a few days later. You load the game and do nothing.

EG. Game 2 started after installing the diplomacy mod. You save the game. A few days later you want to continue game 2. You load the game and do nothing.

There's quite a few threads that have gone through discussing this. Do a search on "reloadslic" to find them for more info.

------------------
Old February 15, 2001, 20:15   #75
Ganja
Chieftain

thanks Dale, you cleared it up for me
Old February 16, 2001, 14:07   #76
Damodred
Settler

Thanks, I dig it now. Worked like a charm, except it 'did' corrupt the pre-diplomod game. Ah well, it was time to restart anyway :P

Damodred