Old March 15, 2001, 21:24   #1
Azmel2
Settler

Local Time: 09:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mayors not managing happiness (fixed)

A friend of mine found a pretty obvious and obnoxious AI bug and I spent the day hunting it down. It turns out that a simple text file change will fix your mayors so they keep your cities happy. To fix the bug, just overwrite the file pop.txt in your ctp2_data/default/gamedata directory with a new pop.txt that has the following first record (before POP_ENTERTAINER) :

## Mayors ignore the first pop record, this fixes the problem
## with low happiness not being handled correctly by mayors.
## (REM031501)

POP_ZERO_IGNORED {
EnableAdvance ADVANCE_CLASSICAL_EDUCATION
Food 0
}

Actually, you should probably do this in a scenario and not overwrite the default pop.txt, but do what ever you think is best.

If you want to try it with a game in progress, the easiest way to get it to re-read the pop values is to quit and reload the game and then to bring up the cheat menu and remove the "drama" advance. Then add the drama advance back in. I tried it using a game I was sent and it immediately brought most of the unhappy mayor controlled cities to a non-rioting level. There are a few cities that are still under the magic 73 happiness, but I think this has to do with the mayor not adequetly adjusting for unhappiness caused by pollution. There's nothing I can do about that from text file changes.

I haven't played an entire game with this change, but you should notice the AI plays better too since all AI cities are effectively under mayoral control.

My apologies to the CTP2 community for not finding and fixing this stupid bug before we shipped.

-- Richard
Old March 15, 2001, 21:33   #2
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:56
quote:

Originally posted by Azmel2 on 03-15-2001 08:24 PM

A friend of mine found a pretty obvious and obnoxious AI bug and I spent the day hunting it down. It turns out that a simple text file change will fix your mayors so they keep your cities happy. To fix the bug, just overwrite the file pop.txt in your ctp2_data/default/gamedata directory with a new pop.txt that has the following first record (before POP_ENTERTAINER) :

## Mayors ignore the first pop record, this fixes the problem
## with low happiness not being handled correctly by mayors.
## (REM031501)

POP_ZERO_IGNORED {
EnableAdvance ADVANCE_CLASSICAL_EDUCATION
Food 0
}

Actually, you should probably do this in a scenario and not overwrite the default pop.txt, but do what ever you think is best.

If you want to try it with a game in progress, the easiest way to get it to re-read the pop values is to quit and reload the game and then to bring up the cheat menu and remove the "drama" advance. Then add the drama advance back in. I tried it using a game I was sent and it immediately brought most of the unhappy mayor controlled cities to a non-rioting level. There are a few cities that are still under the magic 73 happiness, but I think this has to do with the mayor not adequetly adjusting for unhappiness caused by pollution. There's nothing I can do about that from text file changes.

I haven't played an entire game with this change, but you should notice the AI plays better too since all AI cities are effectively under mayoral control.

My apologies to the CTP2 community for not finding and fixing this stupid bug before we shipped.

-- Richard

Well Azmel2 Thats 1 MORE BUG FIXED>>Thanks and ifin you or your buddies have anymore time..READ FORUMS..We got plenty more where that came from!

But still Thanks for that ONE FIX!!

Troll

------------------
Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for and things unseen
Old March 15, 2001, 21:39   #3
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:56
Im sorry...but I kept reading this post of yours..OVER & OVER & OVER Again..

You said "STUPID BUG"

Now I'm not an English Major..but in order for you to annotate "Stupid"..then since there so many "OTHER BUGS"..perhaps they may be of a higher Intelligence?

Work with me Babe....

I'm thinking "OUTSIDE-THE-LINES" Here....but perhaps maybe you could make those "Smart Bugs"..change there name to say..."AI"..because the AI you all shipped sucks the big one..and well..it would save you from any further harrasment?

LOL..just a thought?

Troll

------------------
Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for and things unseen