Old March 12, 2001, 09:53   #1
alley_cat
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Suggestions for improvements in the Medival mod
I have some ideas for improvments in this great mod. Maybe I'll add more later. Everybody, please add as many suggestions as you can so we can add ideas for improvements.
* What the hell is the connection between Stonehenge and a granary in each city?? The Stonehenge is a nice idea but should do something else...
* You should work a lot on what happend to the great library because all the things are messed up in there.

Hope you consider my notes...
Old March 12, 2001, 12:31   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:57
Having gone through making additions to my own Great Library for my mod, and realizing all the work involved just to get everything to link up properly in that file, I can safely say that Wes is a little more concerned about the playability of his mod as opposed to the reference aspects.

Besides its a beta version...and knowing Wes, once the mod is completed, it will be a 'finished' product.
[This message has been edited by hexagonian (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old March 13, 2001, 01:54   #3
alley_cat
Chieftain

I would just want to remind that this thread was mainly created for all of us to state our opinions and ideas for improvments in this great mod so Wes could stop by and get some ideas of what we think...
Old March 16, 2001, 14:49   #4
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

hex,

how much do you know about changing all the links and stuff in the Great Library files? I have time and would be more than glad to help out on the kind of things for the med mod, but I wouldn't have any idea where to start!
Old March 16, 2001, 15:59   #5
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Basically, it involves A LOT of cutting and pasting and data entry...

Below is a typical sample. What I did was pick out similar entries to the one I needed to create. (For example the sample 'Work Camp' below is a production-enhancing city improvement, so I cut and pasted the entry for the Mill.

[IMPROVE_WORK_CAMP_PREREQ]
Requires:
ATABASE_ADVANCES,ADVANCE_ARCHITECTURE>Architecture

Cost: {BuildingDB(Building[0]).ProductionCost} ATABASE_CONCEPTS,CONCEPT_PRODUCTION>Production
Upkeep: {BuildingDB(Building[0]).Upkeep} ATABASE_CONCEPTS,CONCEPT_GOLD>Gold
[END]

[IMPROVE_WORK_CAMP_STATISTICS]
[END]

[IMPROVE_WORK_CAMP_GAMEPLAY]
Gives:
+{BuildingDB(Building[0]).ProductionPercent}% ATABASE_CONCEPTS,CONCEPT_PRODUCTION>Production

As rulers desired to build large monuments to their own glory, they would often require people to take part in the construction of these monuments when food could not be grown because of the seasons.
[END]

[IMPROVE_WORK_CAMP_HISTORICAL]
[END]

Then I changed all the info, wherever it appears (prereq, to Architecture - all references MILL to WORK_CAMP. I generally combined the historical and the gameplay info under the [IMPROVE_WORK_CAMP_GAMEPLAY] entry. I did not spend too much time on historical fluff - I was more concerned to get the gamplay info to be correct, so players could use it as an accurate reference as they play. I actually ended up deleting a lot of the historical fluff to make the file more manageable, but I do not know how much info Wes wants to include either.

In Word, the file is over 300 pages long.

Theres a whole lot of cross referencing that has to be done - especially with the prereq info.

You have to be careful to type the links correctly too.

Wes would welcome it...
[This message has been edited by hexagonian (edited March 16, 2001).]
Old March 16, 2001, 20:31   #6
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:57
I was about to post a "Help Wanted" plea in the beta thread for the Great Library file. This is something that would take hours to do. I have a couple of files generated by the chop sheet that are generally correct for specific parts of the file. I also have the code Charles sent me on the historical files for the new advances. Someone would have to take these files, and use them to update the current MM2_Great_Library.txt.
This is the one area left where I need someone to step up and offer their time. If you do volunteer, make sure you will have a few hours a week to work on it until it gets done, because I would have to have it ready before I can release it publicly.
If you want to help me out, please let me know, and I will give you the files and how to use them. Most of the work is copy-n-paste, like David said, and once you fool with the file a while, you should see how to update the things that are not included in the files I send you. I wouldn't require anyone to write up new historical files for anything. I just need the required advances and what the item does to be correct, and for you to paste in Charles' historical texts when he send them in.
Old March 17, 2001, 05:05   #7
alley_cat
Chieftain

I would be really happy to help, considering that you give me all the required info on how to do this (I did have a glance at MM2_Great_Library.txt to see what was going on
Just contact me if you need help.