Old February 20, 2001, 19:12   #1
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy mod
Opened a new thread so we can consolidate all ideas, bugs, comments on the diplomacy mod. Yes, that's right I'm back in action. Why? My nephew was playing Baldur's Gate II yesterday and saved over my file. NOT HAPPY JAN! So I'll go back to CTP2.

So, here's the current bug list from V3.2 that I've been notified of:

1. Boats carrying units lose their cargo when expelled.
2. Request break agreements with itself from an AI.
3. Can swap science without an embassy.
4. AI's still swapping maps too quickly at the start.
5. Sometimes causes a GPF in CTP2.EXE late in the game.
6. Units lose their veteren status when expelled.

Here's the fixes I'll put in for them:

1. Check if boats have cargo, if yes then move cargo with boat.
2. Check the Civ passed with this proposal. If itself stop request.
3. Enable embassy for science swaps.
4. Change value to 500 turns for 'increasing-odds-formula'.
5. Find it.
6. See below.

This should take care of the bugs I know about. If anyone has bugs, comments or suggestions then post them here.

About point 6, after discussions in the CTP2-Creation forum I think I've worked out a way to actually have the AI "move" it's units out of your borders back towards it's cities, instead of the current "expell" that it's using. I'll have a go at putting this one in.

So, make your comments now and make a difference to the AI's diplomacy.

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 21, 2001, 04:36   #2
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:57
YESSSSSS !!!!!
Old February 21, 2001, 04:42   #3
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Please disregard that last remark, I apparently pussed enter one to many times to soon !

But, what I wanted to say, I think it's great you commiting back to diplomod, altough the loss of you savegame is a b$$%#h but hey, look on the bright side you can play it all over again !
Yeah Yeah I know....not funny, I'm sorry !

Since you seem to know everything there is to know about SLIC and well me.......nuf said !
Please check out my thread about pirates in the creation forum !

Well I'd LOVE to be your beta tester again, so if your looking for one, I'm still dedicated to CTP2, but I must say if the pirates mod takes of I don't know if it will consume lots of my time ?? depends I think !

See Ya ! Keep up the good work !
Old February 21, 2001, 04:45   #4
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Oh one last thing, maybe it can't be fixed but early in the game with most of the map still covered in shrouds, when your wondering where the AI is, then all of a sudden you hear the embassy sound and the cursor goes to the place of that sound.
So you know immediatly where two AI's are.

This takes away the fun of exploring ! Is this a bug or what ?

See Ya !
Old February 21, 2001, 20:48   #5
Dale
Emperor

I thought no one would notice. I've already taken out the auto-centre. It was annoying the hell out of me too. Now all I get is the trumpet noise and no auto-centre. I take it this is what you mean?

------------------
Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."
Old February 22, 2001, 01:07   #6
AllenJ
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Huysmans_666 on 02-21-2001 03:45 AM
Oh one last thing, maybe it can't be fixed but early in the game with most of the map still covered in shrouds, when your wondering where the AI is, then all of a sudden you hear the embassy sound and the cursor goes to the place of that sound.
So you know immediatly where two AI's are.

This takes away the fun of exploring ! Is this a bug or what ?

See Ya !

Hey...just take it as a rumor on your court or from some lonely passengers(I hope I spelled it correctly)

Old February 22, 2001, 12:06   #7
Cedronian
Prince

Local Time: 10:57
I just started playing the game with the Diplomod and I must say that you did great work with it Dale. I especially like the "withdraw"-routine.

Now for the problem. Everytime I load CTP2 I get 2 errors stating:
"pathname\withdraw.slc:51 : No function named GetAgreementDuration" and "pathname\diplomod.slc:109 : No function named GetStopResearchingAdvance"

Pathname is the path to my game directory but Iīm too lazy to write it out ;-).

Donīt know if this is a known thing with Diplomod, but as I said, I just started playing with it.

I should say that the game plays fine despite this and that everything with Diplomod seems to work too.

Ced.
Old February 23, 2001, 01:26   #8
AllenJ
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Cedronian on 02-22-2001 11:06 AM

Now for the problem. Everytime I load CTP2 I get 2 errors stating:
"pathname\withdraw.slc:51 : No function named GetAgreementDuration" and "pathname\diplomod.slc:109 : No function named GetStopResearchingAdvance"

Pathname is the path to my game directory but Iīm too lazy to write it out ;-).

Donīt know if this is a known thing with Diplomod, but as I said, I just started playing with it.

Ced.

Install the patch for CTP2 V 1.11.
AJ

Old February 23, 2001, 05:12   #9
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 10:57
Hey... isn't withdraw included in the diplomod? Cos' when I told one AI player to pack its bags and get out it agreed, but just stayed on.. as usual.

The frenzything isn't too effective either.. the AI are not aggressive at all. But I notice differences, so I know the mod is active.

Fred
Old February 23, 2001, 06:02   #10
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Hi Dale, Hows the diplomod coming along ?

I'm sweating my ass of at learning SLIC, basic commands are simple but you think of new rules every time and that is a lot harder to program !

With all my programming experience it doens't make it easier !
Does SLIC have some sort of repeat loop, would come in handy !

Oh well, I'll have plenty of time later, but it is frustrating to every time hear that poing sound of the SLIC error !
I don't know how many times you heard it but they must be numerous !

Oh, if I could program like you can !
Maybe one day .........

Well going back to SLIC know, happy programming, hope to see a new diplomd soon !

See YA !
Old February 25, 2001, 18:00   #11
Krakatoa
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:57
Hei Dale

Why my messages freak out?? After installing your mod, no messages like 'new unit read on XXX city' or 'new construction on XX city' :-(

On other hand, insane messages shows up in each turn, like
Airlift
San juan del Sur
Positive Points For:

(each line are diferent msg, containing only those words)

Any idea of what's hell is that?? :-)

thanks

oh! if I have to remove your mod, I have to reinstall CTP2?

------------------
regards
Krakatoa
Old February 25, 2001, 19:02   #12
Dale
Emperor

Krakatoa:
1. Press the apostraphe key (').
2. Type "/reloadslic" without the quote marks.
3. Press ENTER twice.

You ONLY do this when using a save file from before the diplomacy mod, and only need to do it once. If you start a new game you never have to do it.

To uninstall the mod you have to reinstall CTP2. It makes changes to game dependant files.

------------------
Old February 25, 2001, 23:13   #13
Krakatoa
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:57
Thanks Dale, works perfect.

That's a important tip, why don't you put in readme file ?

BTW, half hour ago, Scotish ask me to break agremant with the... Scotish people!!!!

I'm enjoy a lot your mod, congratulations.

------------------
regards
Krakatoa
[This message has been edited by Krakatoa (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 26, 2001, 01:55   #14
Dale
Emperor

The version I've got testing on my PC now rectifies this problem. I'll try and get this off to Omni for testers to play with in a day or two. Then it shouldn't be long after for general useage.

------------------
Old February 26, 2001, 22:38   #15
XMon
Warlord

Local Time: 04:57
Hey Dale, Diplomod was first created to get the AI civs to form treaties and alliances with each other...correct? I just had an idea, forgive me if it was already mentioned. Did you ever consider having the AIs make diplo decisions based on government type? Like communist governments would have high regard and be more likely to form treaties with other communist govs as well as, perhaps, tyrannies. Democracies and republics. Fascists and monarchies. Etc etc. Theocracies and...??? Can this even be done with SLIC? If it could work, you could see civs form factions and maybe get a cold war thing going, esp with like minded civs forming military pacts. Just an idea.

Also...you mentioned that with the last version of withdraw.slc that civilian units would not be expelled. I also think that's great. It wouldn't be much fun if UW units could not get into your borders. Anyway, I gave transport ships the IsCivilian flag so that they could move thru my waters but it doesn't work, they get expelled. Now if you destroy a transport you get the big diplomatic hit for killing civilians but not the withdraw.slc effect (or lack thereof). Any idea which flag causes the UW units to not get expelled? Did I make sense there?
Old February 26, 2001, 23:34   #16
Dale
Emperor

XMon:
I'm weeks ahead of ya mate. In one of the earlier versions of diplomacy I added in a line to test government types and make them have higher regards:

Code:
if(player[1] != 0 && !(IsHumanPlayer(player[1])) && player[0] != player[1] && player[0].govttype == player[1].govttype) {
I have no idea what the UW unit is. What's it's full name? As for ya transport problem, I've never even looked at units.txt so dunno. These transports wouldn't happen to be carrying military units would they? (which get expelled)

------------------
Old February 27, 2001, 00:24   #17
XMon
Warlord

Glad to see you're on the job! If ya can get RICH govs to give money and advances to POOR govs of like-minded type...then things could get interesting. UW stands for unconventional warfare...not as cool as it sounds. In CTP(1 and 2), UW is lawyers and corporations, clerics, infectors, spies and cyberninjas etc. Most of them have the Civilian tag as well. Basically, I'd like it if civilian units and stealth units were exempt from the withdraw.slc but I can imagine that that would be difficult to pull off.

No...the transport was empty. I need to go re-read your post on that subject.
Old February 27, 2001, 22:48   #18
XMon
Warlord

Hey Dale, did you know that a military pact negates the withdraw.slc?? Pretty cool if you ask me. Faced with a huge naval assault by the Japanese, I cajolled and bullied the Irish, English and Native Americans into military pacts to join me against the Japanese. Next thing I know, they're all steaming thru my waters. Cool. I checked the intel screen and they all still had "no trespass" treaties with me but withdraw.slc did not expel them. So...perhaps "military pact" is similiar to the C:CTP "alliance" in that respect. Just to let you know... Funny thing is, the Irish and English are at war and they are now battling in my waters.
Old February 28, 2001, 22:58   #19
Dale
Emperor

Here's an update of where we stand. I'm currently testing my updates and will hopefully send out a beta on monday. I've thought of/found a few more things to fix so here's a list of them for ya eye over:

- Enabled science swapping embassy requirement
- Fixed break agreements with self
- Increased slow map swaps to 500 turns
- Check/keep veteran status of expelled units
- Fixed text ID's of ConsiderNewProposal statements (synthetic fix)
- Disabled science pacts to avoid the Activision bug
- Decreased regard cheat for AI's of different governments
- Increased chance of accepting peace treaties for same governments
- Stopped expelling of cargo ships and air units to simulate the difficulties in patrolling and monitoring these mediums (EG. Coastguard inefficiencies, Iraq's no-fly zone, tracking down pirates, refugee boats)

If you disagree with any of these design changes I've made to the game, stiff ****. Valid suggestions will be considered though.

------------------
Old March 1, 2001, 18:13   #20
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:57
Dale, I am debugging the Med mod beta now, so please hurry up and get the 3.3 version to me as soon as possible!

Also, could you combine the slc code and messages into one file? I did this when I put the earlier version of the Diplomod into the MedPack II to try and keep things simple.
Old March 1, 2001, 19:05   #21
Dale
Emperor

Wes:
I'm just testing that withdraw isn't going to expel sea/air units at the moment. I wanna make sure that it'll work correctly this time. Also, I've combined diplomod.slc, withdraw.slc and diplomod_msg.slc into the one file, diplomod.slc. Is this what you're talking about?

BTW, if you have included different air units in the med mod (which I'm sure is true) then I'll have to explain how to change the withdraw component so it doesn't expel them. Or, if you email me the air unit handler names I'll put them in myself. EG: UNIT_AIR_UNIT

BTW2, in Med Mod do you use Bureaucracy to enable diplomats? If not, what's the advance handler you use? I'll need to change that for the embassy creation section.

------------------
Old March 1, 2001, 23:17   #22
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:57
SPRITE_STEALTH_FIGHTER 32
SPRITE_STEALTH_BOMBER 51
SPRITE_INTERCEPTOR 46
SPRITE_JET_BOMBER 47 # CTP2 BOMBER
SPRITE_ATTACK_HELICOPTER 97
SPRITE_BOMBER 102 # battle
SPRITE_BRITISH_FIGHTER 108 # spitfire
SPRITE_DIVE_BOMBER 109 # stuka
SPRITE_SPY_PLANE 57
SPRITE_SPACE_PLANE 55

I think that is all the air units in the mod.
And yes, putting everything in one file is what I referred to.
There is another unit in the game which can establish embassies: the Noble. It is available very early in the game with the advance Aristocracy.
Old March 2, 2001, 02:03   #23
Dale
Emperor

Thanks Wes. I'll get a Med Mod version to you on monday. I'd have it to you earlier, but I don't have the net at home.

I'll have the AI start trying to make embassies on discovery of aristocracy.

------------------
Old March 4, 2001, 21:28   #24
Dale
Emperor

New version sent to Omni this morning. Look for V3.3 If you currently run V3.2 then see readme for upgrading instructions.

Enjoy.

EDIT:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ensure you have the CTP2 patch installed before installing the Diplomacy mod. This will cut down on 3/4's of the "bug reports" emailed to me.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Dale (edited March 04, 2001).]
Old March 5, 2001, 14:02   #25
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

It's up for all you lucky people http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ctp2/db/review.cgi?ID=530 Version 3.3 http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ctp2/db/review.cgi?ID=574 Withdraw 1.2 (do not install if you are already using diplomod)
Old March 5, 2001, 15:31   #26
dennis_caver
Chieftain

Hi Dale,

Just found another bug in the Diplomacy Area. I'm using your
Diplomod 3.2b. If the Ai asks for an advance and I counter
with give me lots of $Gold(9000) for it, I think my treasury
only increases by a little ... about 1000. Is there an easy
fix? By the way the AI accepts all the time.

Spelelunk forever,

Dennis
Old March 5, 2001, 16:34   #27
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

This money bug has been addressed and assumed to be part of the hardcoding that even Dale can't penetrate The easy answer is never ask for money, cuz you ain't gett'in sh!te. Sorry, that's the easy and full answer to the best of my knowledge.
Old March 5, 2001, 18:19   #28
David Murray
Prince

I get dumped back to the desktop, something about an error about the number of proposals considered by the AI...*sigh* Looks like it's time for a reinstall for me. But I didn't do anything wrong, and 3.2 worked fine!
Old March 5, 2001, 20:10   #29
Dale
Emperor

Dennis:
What Omni said. Also, that bug is addressed in the readme. Did you read it?

David:
That's a new one. I never had any probs and I played with the mod heavily since I finished it friday night. Anyone else with this prob?

------------------
Old March 6, 2001, 02:29   #30
Metheglyn
Settler

Dale,

The error message that David is referring to states that ConsiderNewProposal has the wrong number of arguments. This version doesn't have all of those "ID_AIS_LOVE_AIS" all over the place.

I hope that helps, because I'm really looking forward to using this version of your mod. Right now it crashes to the desktop as soon as I hit the "next turn" button.

Oh, and thanks for all the work you've put into this mod. You've turned a $50 (US) coaster into a playable game.

Metheglyn