Old March 17, 2001, 22:28   #61
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guys, you are going to have to keep up with this thread. Most of these things you are reporting have already been covered here.
The sound files glitch is new, and I will try and look into it. Everything else you guys have listed since my last post is covered either by me or Locutus above here, or in the readmes.
A-Cat, I have not tested loading old games, but I feel sure that you activated the Med mod with modswapper, then opened the old original game. You just have to use modswapper to switch back to the original game, and the problems should go away. Note that you will have to load up a version from before you installed modswapper, or things will get messed up.
Old March 18, 2001, 08:07   #62
cobra_3000
Settler

Local Time: 09:58

What about prob. in Win2000, I can't start the game with the mod only the orginal CTP2

Old March 18, 2001, 10:07   #63
HRuquet
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:58
Cobra,

I don't know if it makes a difference, but Windows 2000 is business oriented, I have Windows ME and I don't have a problem.

------------------
Old March 18, 2001, 12:56   #64
Dekent
Settler

Game runs fine till I get ship of the line and cannons, if I click any city that can build ship of the lines, i get "cannot find file upup117.tga" but i can MOVE ships aruond that have been built...cannons give me the SAME error but when i try to move them.
Old March 18, 2001, 12:58   #65
Dekent
Settler

1 other thing, I went from having 50 fryman militas, to 2 muskteteer (and NOT growing) when I got the new tech, in other words my militas stopped spawning = (
Old March 18, 2001, 14:55   #66
HRuquet
Chieftain

Wes,

I saw that earlier someone had a problem with a slc error. I read into it and I think it had to do with using more then 6 Players. SO I had been using 6, but today, after I built the Stone Henge I got a slc Err0r statin "In object MM2_TryMilitia, variables 'MM2_TryMilitia#tmpLoc' and 'noname' are different types." Ok I thought that had to do with using more then 6 players. I did notice that the Babarians had captured several cities of another civilization, could that cause the program to think of them as a 7th Civilization?

------------------

[This message has been edited by HRuquet (edited March 18, 2001).]
Old March 18, 2001, 15:00   #67
droid
Settler

I am having the same trouble as preacherman + HRuquet,

"In object MM2_TryMilitia, variables 'MM2_TryMilitia#tmpLoc' and 'noname' are different types."

For this message started when I loaded my savegame
Old March 18, 2001, 18:12   #68
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

quote:

Originally posted by Locutus on 03-16-2001 05:13 AM
Quick note for everyone who's been having those annoying TryMilitia and similar problems: set DebugSLIC to No in ctp2_program\ctp\userprofile.txt and your problems should disappear like snow for the sun.

This is how you correct the TryMilitia and Noname problems.

I checked out the problem with the cannon picture, and somehow the pic's name got changed from UPUP117L to UPUP117C between my personal files and the zip files. I will include the corrected pic in the next text update. In the meantime, everyone needs to go into the default\gamedata\graphics\pictures folder and re-name the pic to UPUP117L.

In other news, I have made some slight adjustments to the advances chart so that Mechanical Power, which enables Siege Engines, is not available immediately after Geometry, which enables Catapults. Thanks for pointing out this oversight.

The pauses that occur whenever you get an advance or a unit from a hut are still present, though I am not sure why. I guess it has to do with the fact that we added so many of each to the game. This pause is annoying, but it goes away once all of the huts have been explored in the early stages of the game, and I guess we will just have to get used to it.
Old March 18, 2001, 19:54   #69
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 02:58
Here's something I haven't seen mentioned. When I reach 8 units per city, a message window pops up:

"We cannot afford to support so many military units, sir. If you end your turn now, our military leaders will be forced to disband units. Would you like to end your turn?" Options here are "Yes", "No", and "Don't show this message again".

The first time it happened I disbanded one unit and it just popped up again next turn (even though I hadn't gained a unit)! So then I clicked "Yes", and to my surprise no units were disbanded. Any idea what's going on here? I couldn't find any window that shows a "too many military units" statistic, so is this even a problem? It's easy enough to click the "Don't Bother Me" button, but I just want to be sure that's an acceptable solution. The message goes away when I build a new city, so there's definitely some kind of "units per city" issue here.
Old March 18, 2001, 20:55   #70
Dekent
Settler

Im in 2200, with fighetrs, tanks and 32 pop city...and they still all look like castle citys? Is this a bug or did I miss a key advance to make em change?

Virtual democracy in a castle...lol
Old March 18, 2001, 21:10   #71
Dekent
Settler

And ive just found a MAJOR problem with the late game...there are too many city improvements, and they are too expensive...my gold just shot down to negative with vr amusement parks and research grinded to a HALT (96 turns for conservation....)

that and my citys still look like castles hehe
Old March 18, 2001, 21:40   #72
Dekent
Settler

None of my citys have bazaars, and can't build...that is probally the reason why, also it appears mega mines come before (or can come) advanced mines.

Why am I the only one with bug reports on late game? hehe everyone else is early

Maybe its cause I don't have this "30 second pause" I keep hearing about?
Old March 18, 2001, 22:34   #73
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
The pause is happening in my mod too - it might have to do with the militia code.
Old March 19, 2001, 02:01   #74
janilxx
Warlord

Local Time: 11:58
Hi all, especially Wes and other medomodemakers.

I finally had time to test the beta(the 15th march version). I do have AMD K6-2 300Mhz. AI_TOTAL_TIME_SLICE is set to 75000. And I have to say that maybe some of these subjects are covered elsewhere.

So... where should I began(I have many things written to the paper ).

Computer stucking:
In 3610BC computer stucked first time. I hit the enter key to end my turn. AI player colors starts to blink below the year(this is normal, I just can not figure out the better explanation, sorry). After 4 or 5 ai -players computer stucked(I did not get seconds this time (maybe this was over half minute?)). Finally stucking ended and game continued. Next time in 3220BC. Stucking again. This time it lasted about 25 seconds. There were no other stuckings from AI -players in this game. But ruins. When I wound ruins and there were money there were no stucking. When I wound new advances there were about 10 seconds stuck. And new troops gave me about 20 seconds stuck. So maybe AI -players' stuckings come from the ruins(I know, I know, someone said this before) but the AI -stuck seconds does not match with my ruins stucking seconds.

Barbarians:
In about 1780BC I had only one city. My troops were discovering other places and were coming back home. There were one barbarian fortified 2 squares from my cityborder(9 squares in city this time). Why was that barbarian unit there? Sitting stupidly

In 610AD I got map from russians. And woohoo!! There were at least 3 barbarian cities(2 of them were close together and the third were far away). And About half of the map were still black. So this says to me that barbarians are much much better than they used to be. Good.

Militia:
I only got militia(spearmen) to my capitol. After that when I discovered or captured new cities there were no militias Bug???

And when I discovered the tegnology that gives me phalanx, I suppose that this teghnology obsoletes spearmen and my only spearmen militia disappeared!!! I did not get more militias. Sad.

Odd map:
I usually play with minimized map. I changed one time a map with AI-player(orange) at the "beginning" of the game. In 205BC I checked the map and woohoo that was odd. I had one city far far away visible(9 squares) and other place there were a little bigger place visible but there were no city. I can not figure out how I or orange player did got map of those areas. Those areas were only little mappieces and arounbd them there were only black squares. ODD!

Technologies:
I played to the 650AD. Aren't the technologies too much military technologies? I mean that I only have built bazaar, courthouse, aqueduct, waht was that ancient food silo. And maybe few other. But it seems that usually All I can build is troops because there is no meaningful buildings available. I know that this depends from what technologies I have discovered but I am not much below others in technology. I would like to have allmost all the time more buildings available to build so that I do not have to build more and more troops. But this was my first medmod game so it might be that this "no buildings available" happened only to me and only in this game. "No buildings available" happened mostly around 600AD. Not much before(of course there were few times few turns when I had only troops available to build).

Ruins:
In 305AD I was walking to Ai -city Paris. And there were ruins in 3 squares from the paris. The AI could not be so stupid that he had not discovered that?!?!? In 305AD and 3 sqares from capital. There were money in ruins so that was not a bad ruins.

Stupid Orange:
Orange had Populist Zealot(can someone tell me what that does mean?!?!) personality. First of all. First we lived together without argues. Then he discovered slaver and had built one noble. He first took one slave from me. I saw the noble coming. When the noble was next to my city he packed noble and slaver to the same unit(what was the word of many units in pack ? ). There were number two visible next to noble so I knew there were the slaver too. Then he declared war and took other slave. And after that I killed those troops. So we had the war.

I was the last in military power. I was little poorer than this orange guy. I took troops(2 archer, 2 spearmen and 2 swordmen) and walked to his city. I won. I don't remember were there troops in his 1st city. Next city were his capital. I walked there too and there were 6 or something troops in defence. I beated those too.

I waited few(means over 20) turns and decided to walk to his next city. First I had noble that walked next to his city. And stayed there about 7 turns. So why didn't he killed the noble? I took my troops there in 7 turns and I marched to the city. EMPTY! No troops there! And I gave him a warnig(in form of noble) 7 turns before. Stupidity again!

By the way there is a picture of fort next to my cities' name when I have troops in that city. Should I see same kind of picture in enemies city? I do not remember. But I hope I should not see that(and I did not see that picture in this city I just got and no picture in next city too).

Ok. 2 cities left. First one was just established because it was level 1 vity. No troops there. That is ok if that really were just estalbished. And the last city. I gave him again a warning in form of noble My noble was next to that city 3 turns. Why didn't he kill the noble??? After 3 turens my troops arrived and there were 2 archers against my troops. I took the city.

I never saw any of his(except noble and slaver) troops attacking against me. So why did he declare war?!?! Stupidity.

This orange player seemed a lot as an old ctp2 player. No any kind of superior artificial intelligence here. Of course some AI's can be stupid This was the first I saw in my first medmod game.

So I had many thigs here... I hope this helps even a little wes or dale or someone to improve mod.

-Jani
Old March 19, 2001, 04:39   #75
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Hi Y'all

Been a while since my last post, tried to play a game to the end for once, I never ever built one kraken until now...they rule

Anyways....I've always been a little hesitant to install the MedMod since everyone is having so many probs with it.
But now it's beta and all the glitches should be out I thought well lets try it if it's so damn good !

So I started with 8 civ, very hard en huge map....not that huge actually but still.....

First thing I noticed by the way in my installation process is that it overwrites a picture file of the original.....AND NOW ALL MY CITIES HAVE TURNED INTO CASTLES.....I'M IN 2368 AD with castles......

This same picture I have when I start a medmod game.... NO militia errors thank god !
The library sucks....what the hell does temple of karnak do...library not working kinda sucks sometimes if you want to know what something is !
But anyways....Why does it take my city 74 TURNS to build a settler and 56 turns to discover.
Don't think that I don't have patience but THIS LONG....so to be honoust.... I quit after 20 turns...It's going slow.....so slow that it's not fun anymore.
In a normal game it takes about 15 turns for a settler !

Ok your right I don't have patience I KNOW I KNOW ..... but I'm a very busy person who can't play for three days straight !

Well that's my impression so far...If you tell me how to make the library work maybe I can help !
I'll try to play beyond 20 turns soon !

But all in all it's great mod....beautifull units and a lot of them can't wait to be able to build them....will take me at least three years

Well, gotta go...see ya soon !
Old March 19, 2001, 04:49   #76
janilxx
Warlord

quote:

But anyways....Why does it take my city 74 TURNS to build a settler and 56 turns to discover.

I detected too that troops takes a longer to complete. Especially settlers. But it was about 25-35 turs in my game I am not sure but maybe this was somehow explained in manuals and maybe this is a good decision. 25-35 turns for settler is not too much for me if that for example simulates the "slower" start.

quote:

Ok your right I don't have patience I KNOW I KNOW ..... but I'm a very busy person who can't play for three days straight !

But all in all it's great mod....beautifull units and a lot of them can't wait to be able to build them....will take me at least three years

My first game took about 2,5 months(real time) I can play ~5 hours/week. Sometimes a little more You are not alone
Old March 19, 2001, 11:12   #77
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I fixed most, if not all, of the SLIC errors that have been reported so far. Until Wes updates the version on his website, you can download a fixed version of MM2_scenario.slc from my website.
Old March 19, 2001, 15:56   #78
Ganja
Chieftain

Locutus - I just put the new scenario.slc in my default ctp2_data\default\gamedata directory and went to start a new game. I got these slic errors :

MM2_scenario.slc :359: Symbol globalValue is undefined
MM2_scenario.slc :359: Symbol globalValue used in assignment has unknown type

MM2_scenario.slc :360: Symbol GlobalCity is undefined
MM2_scenario.slc :360: Symbol GlobalCity used in assignment has unknown type

The errors occur as you boot up the game.

Any help????

Old March 19, 2001, 16:03   #79
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Oh, damn. Sorry, I had accidentally left in some debug code. Fixed version can be found at above link. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old March 19, 2001, 16:59   #80
Ganja
Chieftain

Locutus - One other thing, do we still keep the DebugSlic=No in the userprofile.txt or do we change it back to Yes ?
Old March 19, 2001, 22:04   #81
HRuquet
Chieftain

I have a question. Since I have installed this mod, I have played the original game but when I get to the Modern age only the cities I have build turn to modern cities, the cities I conquered stay the same. Why is that?

------------------
Old March 20, 2001, 02:40   #82
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

UPDATE ALERT: New text upate posted.

It contains that latest scenario.slc, so hopefully the militia bugs are fixed. A few other bugs and glitches are corrected as well.
I tested it tonight, and all the triggers seem to be working properly, though I can't be sure about militia bugs when you trade for upgrade advances or obtain them thru huts.
The unit heal trigger seems to be working properly, and the one which re-establishes embassies when you declare peace. The wonder trigger to take buildings out of your build list works now.
I captured the Temple of Karnak from an AI tonight, and the Shrine disappeared from my lists. I didn't know I had conquered it until I investigated to see why I could no longer build Shrines. If the trigger was not in there, I would have kept on building them.

Well, I thought I had fixed the city sprite problem, but apparently not. I will try and see what I can do about the castles in the future. Just so you know, this problem is an unstability in the game itself, not the mod, so I can't promise anything.

I may have to lower improvement costs for the future improvements if they are way too high. If some of the rest of you play that far, let me know what happens with you. If costs are no problem, this needs to be reported just as much as a problem does.

Sometimes it seems that Settlers take too long when you start, but I actually lowered their cost from the original game, so you need to check your facts before making grandiose statements like that. Btw, I want you to know that I laughed out loud when I read your statement that beta means all the bugs are worked out.

There are a couple of other things I noticed in the last game that I will have to re-check, but we are getting closer to the finish line for the version 1 public release.
Old March 20, 2001, 18:08   #83
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

quote:

Originally posted by Starfighter08 on 03-20-2001 12:03 PM
Question: I modified MM2_civilisation.txt and MM2_civ_str.txt to add a new civ (also added 20 new city names). It appears on the empire selection screen, but I can't choose it to play. What am I doing wrong? BTW the same modicications of civilisation.txt and civ_str.txt worked perfectly for the original game.

I had an awful time trying to get civs to show up right when I was using the scenario structure. I don't understand how you cannot choose the civ. What happens when you click on the civ's bar?

quote:

I regret to report, that after inventing infantery tactics (phalanx) all spearman militias died off and no phalanx militias were built.

Did this happen with a new game using last night's update? (Both have to be true, or you will continue to get the errors from the previous slc code.)

quote:

Additionally I wasn't able to move some units, although it had enough movement points (no ZOCs involved). It seems that there are "phantom cities" because I can't see anything and they expand the territory of the opponent and also curtail the radius of a newly built city of mine but I cannot see a fortification (tileimprovement) icon. Anybody else experienced this?

Use cheat mode to turn off the fog of war and see if you can figure out what is happening. Sometimes the borders behave strangely if you conquer cities or found them right next to another civ's border.
Also, give some more info on the movement problem. Pinpoint the areas where things are not working correctly, and see if you cannot move when the unit has all of its movement points. Use cheat mode to create new units, close cheat mode, and then try to move them if need be. There were some problems with this in the miliita code weeks ago, so I am interested in hearing confirmed cases of this re-appearing.

Btw, someone asked about the debug slic line: You will still need to leave this set to "no". There is really no advantage to ever setting it to "yes", as far as I know.
Old March 20, 2001, 18:23   #84
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

DP. I may put something useful here later.
[This message has been edited by WesW (edited March 20, 2001).]
Old March 20, 2001, 22:35   #85
Dekent
Settler

ACK... I was playing the normal game (from the modswapper menu) and everything was going fine, till i conqured about 3 enemy citys..then all of a sudden...ALL MY CITYS TURNED TO CASTLES

Dunno if thats any help but it appears the problem slides into the regular version too, not just the mod...btw this has never happened before I used mod hehe

All in all great mod though, will own regular once its bugs are squashed

As for Finicial problems in the late game, I still have them in mass, I think the easiest fix would be just too give a few more buildings +money income...like docks or castle to help balance things out a bit

BTW is it a bug that some things (docks) have +0 defence?
Old March 20, 2001, 23:34   #86
preacherman
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:58
downloaded new text file started to play first city on grass with forest and river. When setting up Queue with 2 warriors a spearman and settler. settler was going to take 27 turns to build. when it started to build settler it took 50 turns. found settler in ruens and set up city 2 all grass with lake on one side in that city it is going to take 75 turns to build settler. NOT GOOD!!!
Old March 21, 2001, 01:03   #87
Starfighter08
Chieftain

Question: I modified MM2_civilisation.txt and MM2_civ_str.txt to add a new civ (also added 20 new city names). It appears on the empire selection screen, but I can't choose it to play. What am I doing wrong? BTW the same modicications of civilisation.txt and civ_str.txt worked perfectly for the original game.

I regret to report, that after inventing infantery tactics (phalanx) all spearman militias died off and no phalanx militias were built.

Additionally I wasn't able to move some units, although it had enough movement points (no ZOCs involved). It seems that there are "phantom cities" because I can't see anything and they expand the territory of the opponent and also curtail the radius of a newly built city of mine but I cannot see a fortification (tileimprovement) icon. Anybody else experienced this?

[This message has been edited by Starfighter08 (edited March 20, 2001).]
Old March 21, 2001, 02:44   #88
janilxx
Warlord

BUGREPORT / POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!

I hope all modmakers will read my whole posting

This was tested with 20th march version. I just came to work and my hands are fu**ing cold so my text can be even worse than usually

I started new game and there were lags again in computer(AI) turns(those that are supposed to come from ruins). Lag times were two times ~75 seconds, 18 secs once and 2,5 minutes once. I started to study the second 75 secs lag better. By the way the 2,5 minutes lag IS WAY TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!

The lag was between 2nd and 3rd player(between orange and green). Fortunately I just saved before the lag. So I loaded my saveame again and entered to the cheat mode. I changed to the green player and checked what was going on.

First I counted his technologies. There were 6 of those(quite beginging of the game). Then I counted his troops. There were 7 of them(and two of them were scouts). And then I checked what was his only city building. That was shrine that would be ready after MANY turns.

I did not changed anything that green AI had been made and I ended the turn. Then I(as green player) got the message "We cannot afford to supply so many military units...".

Then I loaded my savegame again and played my turn(as myself(means blue player)). The lag appeared again(of course) and I waited until it passed. Next turn started. Cheat mode again and green player.

He was still building shrine. There was still 6 technologies. So no changes in those.

HERE IS THE BUG:
There were message "We cannot afford to supply so many military units..." when I was playing as a green so I suppose this same situation came up to the computer when computer played now his turn. So I checked his troops if computer had deleted some units. BUT WHAT THE HELL! He had been increased one more scout unit!!! And I am sure he was not building scout because he was building shrine. So this code is a bug.

I suppose the code does now look something like:
if too_many_troops_to_support then
somehow_decide_what_troops_to_delete
my_units.addUnit(the_unit_that_was_decided_to_delete)

That addUnit should be removeUnit(or something like that). Am I right? I suppose I am.

Maybe the code "somehow_decide_what_troops_to_delete" take a long time and causes lag or maybe computer gets confused because there were no resources to maintain all units and then one more unit is added.

This seems to be somekind of "customer tests" situation

--

Another thing about this same situation.

When I first cheated and checked what the green player was doing I saw one of his unit next to ruins. That unit had the movement path and that path was going to miss the ruins(unit was not going to the ruins). I did not change anything what the green player was decided. I used enter key to end the turn. The unit(that was next to ruins) did continue moving as the path was set. So hi missed the ruins.

I suppose that there should be a code that says:
if there_is_ruins_next_to_me then
go_to_ruins

And that "go_to_ruins" code would be ran alltimes. No matter if the path was se earlier or not. This way we would get all ruins out of the map early. And I think that if there is ruins it would be generally better to take them than leave them.

--

Last time I said that I only got militias to my first city. This time I got them to all cities. GOOD!

--

Someone told you(after I did told that to you first ) that militias were destroyed after phalanx was invented and no other militias appeared(so there were no militias anymore after phalanx). I got that error with 15th march version. I did not have time to play so long yesterday that I could check that. So I do not know if this is working with the 20th march version.

--

And finally one more thing.

I told you last time that I somehow got a parts of the maps from the middle of the darkness(for example 9 squares around the one city and that piece of map was in the middle of the black squares). I saw his happened again. When I was cheating and I looked orange player's maps. He had got somehow lilac -player's map(that meaned a map of 12 squares and one city in the middle of the black squares). And When I looked lilac player I saw that he had the orange player's map.

So it seems that orange and lilac players had been changed maps in the beginging of the game(in first turns(like in 20 first turns)). But how can they do so because it is absolutely sure that they have not seen each other???

So this means that diplomod(or some other codes) has the bug and it lets the AIs have discussions before they have met. This is absolutely a bug!!!

--

I suppose this was all again.

I start to wait a new version

-Jani
Old March 21, 2001, 08:40   #89
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:58
City graphics: I noticed that the Med Pack overwrites some of the game's original city sprites. The solution is easy: Wes should rename the Med Pack's city sprites and edit agecitystyle.txt.
Old March 21, 2001, 09:40   #90
Huysmans_666
Chieftain

Paul: Yeah but so does the cradle of civilization mod, did you install that one ?
I did, works perfectly but it too overwrites stuff, I know I can't complain or anything but can modders try to take this into account that they don't let the original files be overwritten !

I love your work and all but leave the original files alone

Is this in any effect gonna change the way the original game plays ?
Hope not !

No complaints further here .... swell job Y'All !