Old April 4, 2000, 16:38   #1
Neon Deon
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The Whirly Bird.
How do you use Helicopters in Civ?
Why do Helos(100 shlds) cost more than stealth bombers(80 shlds)? and why are they soooooo slow?? Mech inf on a road can out run them! When i build Helos, I use them as
recon supported by Mech inf. Or maybe, if im messing around with the AI ill use them as naval recon/asw. but very seldom do i build them. Does anyone use Helos in large numbers?
Old April 4, 2000, 16:46   #2
Black Bart

I think stealth bomber actually costs 140. I don't use helos as much on the higher levels. But they work better on lower levels when they ai hasn't connected their cities with roads and railroads yet. Sometimes it can be hard to find that last pesky city of theirs. And once you do find it, it can be hard to send 2 or 3 land units accross rough terrain to get it. A stealth bomber and a helo can take most defenses in a city.

But for air units, the stealth fighter is far superior. The best air unit out there for the money.

Oh, to answer the question. No I don't build them in large numbers. But I always build a few. Mostly just to have a wide array of units. I build subs for that reason, even though they are useless in SP.
[This message has been edited by Black Bart (edited April 04, 2000).]

Old April 4, 2000, 17:22   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
I posed a question similiar to this awhile back as they were about to appear in a MP game and I'd never really used them.

It seems,given their expense,that they were no good.The best use was probaly put one on aircraft carriers to look for subs.

despite that they ignore walls,they are just too expensive and too easily "shot down" to warrant the high cost,

But..play around with them.Maybe you can find a strategic use for them

It might have been cool if they could transport 2 ground units.As you mentioned they could use a little more movement or some other special ability.Like carrying missiles or something

If they were considrably cheaper I think they could have uses but there are cheaper units that can get the job done
Old April 4, 2000, 18:53   #4
spyvsspy

the cool thing with helos is that they are the only air unit to capture cities with...... but i agree with all the statements above that they are pretty much useless for anything else
Old April 4, 2000, 19:36   #5
Neon Deon
Chieftain

Black,
Sorry meant to say stealth fighter NOT bomber.
The expense is too great. Gee Helos cost more than a tank too! At least subs get to use Mag. Voyage and nuclear power to increase thier speed to a healthy 6(only enemy destroyers would be faster). Subs are cheap. a wolf pack can deal with any unwanted aquarian intruders and can launch nukes or cruise missles deep into enemy territory.

Old April 4, 2000, 20:18   #6
Black Bart

I have to agree with you there. Another bad you mentioned is the movement. Most of the time, my blitzkreig howitzer and armor attacks outrun my helicopter support when I'm using roads/railroads. So I really don't end up capturing too many enemy cities with them, except for ones in rough terrain with no roads connected. Usually I end up just plucking off enemy units that aren't in good defensive terrain.

------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell, and spirituality is for people like me who've been there.

Old April 5, 2000, 05:05   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

How about establishing a beachead on a landmass with few if any coastal cities?
A squadron of Stealth Fighters can take the city flag down, helos can occupy it and the stealth can fly CAP until the big boys arrive - probably next turn. Particularly good for sneak attacks on Capitals.
I thought that was what carrier battle groups were for!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old April 5, 2000, 14:51   #8
Neon Deon
Chieftain

Well yeah but i usually use an engineer and some of those neet paratroopers. Of course i must admit my paras arent used to jumping into a non radioactive drop zone