Old April 5, 2000, 00:19   #1
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 15:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Too many cities!
Have others had this appear on their screens?This happy wanderer sailing all over the civ large world map,in the year 2004 settling an islet here, a land mass there, plonking a minimum of two engineers, two soldiers, roughly every 5 squares,then erecting a city, was brought to a nasty halt when I was told that I could'nt build any more...I had no idea that there was any limitation to the number of cities, that could be built on any map.
I counted less than 300 cities built on this particular map, 177 of them being mine.There
was a lot of undeveloped terrain...what a waste.
I consider this limitation a serious handicap
to the school of strategists to which I belong - "Build it, and Deity will come"...I guess I will have to sit out my remaining civ years til "retirement" either playing the "stock market", or destroying the Persians, neither of which I'm good at...I think I'll have a word with the designer of Civ 3, ask him for limitless cities...who do I complain to, about the lack of cities in Civ2?.
Old April 5, 2000, 00:54   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
The maximum number of cities is 255 (one less than 256--a very popular number in computer science, right up there with 128, 32, and 8). There has to be a limit set somewhere, or you will probably find yourself GPFing toward the end; the numbers chosen are undoubtedly tied to to the closest convenient bit or byte. 511 cities was probably more than most computers could handle.

Not to mention most players...

edit: spell check!
[This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited April 04, 2000).]
Old April 5, 2000, 13:56   #3
George Garrett
Warlord

Thank you for that, Monk...I still think it's an unfair limitation on a certain way of playing this great game.

Sorry, Monk, pardon my ignorance but didn't catch the meaning of :-
GPF
511 Cities
Edit: spellcheck
Please enlighten
Old April 5, 2000, 14:13   #4
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:32
GG - 511 is one less than 512, another very popular computer number (2^9). Can't help you with GPF, sorry.
Old April 5, 2000, 14:20   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
GPF: (1) General Protection Fault, a common sight in windows 3.X, which basically made the computer toss its cookies. (2) An interesting online comic strip, not quite up there with Sluggy Freelance and User Friendly.
Old April 6, 2000, 10:47   #6
George Garrett
Warlord

Thank you, gentlemen - all part of a young Civ player's education, I guess. By the way, a word of warning to other novices - that"too many cities!" warning can crash your game it's just appeared on my screen freezing it..I wasn't even up, let alone trying to build a city...it happened while the ai were skidding around...in future, I'll try to allocate the recommended 5 squares to each city...that way, even after 2000 years I shouldn't run into that dreaded "tmc!" sign again. probably a better quality city too, tho I amazed myself on how I grew single square townships...perhaps that's only at Chieftain level? Anyway,I'm going to try Diety next, and see if I can apply some lessons learned...probably come a right cropper.