Old April 16, 2001, 20:08   #1
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 06:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New game setup (Like this is my 15th try at a decent setup)
I am trying 8 civs and a Gigantic map..150 X 300...I have given each of the AI's $5 Million Gold. Myself I start with the default 100 gold. I give each civ (mine including 12 settlers) I excluded sea engineers and settlers, but allowed Urban Planners. I went to risks.txt and made a zero percent chance of finding either a city or settler. I also am not building any wonders, allowing the AI a better chance. I also am not going to allow any agreements, treaties, accept anything from any AI.

I shall keep you posted if this makes a more competitive game setup or not.

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds MY voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me.
Old April 17, 2001, 14:19   #2
Steve5304

Local Time: 10:00
I have given them that much too.But AI will just rush buy a million hoplites and run around with them. THo its worth a try so good luck.
Old April 20, 2001, 18:59   #3
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

I am through like 58 turns and so far am ranked 2nd!

The Ai is building lots of Fascists and I have tresspassed and am now up to 17 cities and I have decided to "Ring my neighbors Civ" with a few cities in close proximity..that just does make them go bananas!

I aam not as previously posted, building any Wonders and this has helped immeasurably!

I shall keep you folks posted, or should I say the 6 people or so that still post here!

I noticed that the forums are down to twwo combined categories in CTP:2 now..and alas..it is sad but true..I am a long time supporter of CTP series..that is until..Sid come through at end of year..(I hope!)

Yours in Civin!

Troll

------------------
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds MY voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me.
Old April 24, 2001, 19:18   #4
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Well, I am at turn 200, I am in 2nd place..all science discovered, I have 26 cities...biggest near size 35..I have not accepted any thing, no maps, no peace treaties..and funny thing..now when I get approached for a cease fire or peace treaty, they say we are friends!

This has some promise, and I have explore some 90% of map..a lot of 12 stack fascists and 12 stack marines walking around out there!

I will follow up..as time permits!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old April 27, 2001, 05:09   #5
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Ok....

I am at turn 305 now, I have 31 cities..am gonna build upward off 200 if possible..then wipe out the world, I am just into year 3696 B.C. now..so I have plenty of time.

There have been multiple atacks from the neighbors..but to no avaaail..and the ai..have been picking on each other pretty good..taking cities from one another..I am gonna build a great ICS (Infinite City Sprawl) and then mop up..and see how far I can go and see how the AI responds..(i.e. do they smell anihialition and will they offer scities-gold-ect.) for an exchange of peace?..remember I have not and WILL not accept anything from them!

I shall keep you posted!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old April 27, 2001, 09:38   #6
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 05:00
Questions...

When you mention attacks, are you losing cities and then having to take them back - or are the battles generally initiated by you? What kind of offensive AI forces are you facing? (stack size and so forth) Does the AI maintain the pressure on you?

Have you altered any of the .txt files too? I know that you made a special setup for this via the cheat mode and also altered the risks.txt file, but any other alts in files such as strategies.txt/const.txt and so forth...

Are you using any special SLIC coding such as Diplomod/Frenzy?

I'm trying to monitor this aspect of the game, as this will help give a general idea about where to tweak the files. I've done a lot in my setup, but it helps to have something to compare.
Old April 27, 2001, 22:29   #7
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

quote:

Originally posted by hexagonian on 04-27-2001 09:38 AM
Questions...

When you mention attacks, are you losing cities and then having to take them back - or are the battles generally initiated by you? What kind of offensive AI forces are you facing? (stack size and so forth) Does the AI maintain the pressure on you?

Have you altered any of the .txt files too? I know that you made a special setup for this via the cheat mode and also altered the risks.txt file, but any other alts in files such as strategies.txt/const.txt and so forth...

Are you using any special SLIC coding such as Diplomod/Frenzy?

I'm trying to monitor this aspect of the game, as this will help give a general idea about where to tweak the files. I've done a lot in my setup, but it helps to have something to compare.

Ok..I am facing usually 20-25 stacks..ranging from 5 @ once to 12 at once..anything from cannons and musketeers to fascists..and no I havent lost any cities...The AI is indeed keeping up the pressure!

Ok..I altered risks.txt for ruins..I altered govern.txt to alter the toomanycities threshold to 200 cities

I also altered arena and a few other happiness buildings in building.txt to increase happiness by 1 each.

I altered diffDB.txt to change the number of years per turn to 1 year = 1 turn. I have played 300 + turns and am at 3695 and all is well!

I do not, unfortunatley understand how to write slic code, and am not using diplomacy or frenzy mod.

My biggest success at having a more competitive game is this..

#1 Accept NOTHING at all from AI..No maps trading, no quit tresspassing, no gold, no cease fire no peace treaties! NOTHING!

#2 Kill any AI unit you run across while scouting

#3 No Building Wonders! Let AI do this, gives them more of a chance!

I am having fun and will keep you informed of how game goes!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old April 28, 2001, 13:46   #8
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

I am aat turn 405 now..and I have taken 5 of the orange cities and am battling the light blue and purple civs..and the Brown..Germans I believe have been wipe out by English..so it is down to 7 from 8 starting civs.

I have a real good economy going, producing 45K each turn as well as 2000 in trade routes..I am defending each citiy with a minimum of 2 Leviathan and 1 War Walker with exception of forward cities, then I giove them 8-10 War Walkers

The AI is using Tanks, the first ones available to attack me along with Fascists. This is doing well for them though!

I am up to around 40 cities and am going to wipe out each civ, one at a time!

Funny, for the first time in for ever..I am in Third place, but leading overall, as well as leading economically and scientifically!

I am 3rd in Military might!

I shall keep you folks posted!

Back to amassing the world of Trolldom throughout my Kingdom!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old April 28, 2001, 21:16   #9
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Ok..I am now at turn 468..(I believe)..I couldnt get past size 61 city..so I decided to alter citysize0.txt file thanks to scorpio10's suggestion of changing BaseMaxPop..(I change to 100) and the MaxPopulation settings..here is a suggestion on how to do this...

Apolyton Civilization Site Forums
CtP2-Creation
Increasing Maximum City Size

this article below was from March 31,2001

scorpio10
Settler
Laramie, WY, US
Dec 2000 posted March 31, 2001 05:08

I don't know if anyone is still messing around with this, but I've had some success with increasing city sizes without altering the overcrowding info for hospitals, etc... I posted earlier in one of the forums, but here's the gist of what I did:
--> I finally got my game to allow the cities to grow beyond 60 by making some changes in the citysize0.txt file. In the last two city entries I increased the value for the BaseMaxPop setting and then changed the MaxPopulation setting for the last city entry. Changing the workers category seems to decrease the city's productivity, so I stopped messing with that for the time being. <--

I just performed a test in cheat mode, producing all of the pop-related buildings in a city and checking growth and food at every size the editor would allow. My city was still growing (slowly) at size 200 (when the editor stopped allowing me to increase the city size). I think the only reason I had enough food at that point was due to some modification I'd made to the tile improvements, but it looks like these changes allow a city to grow to whatever size the food source can support. I'm at 200+ and still growing...

I also changed terrain.txt and made it so grassland, which you can get thru terraforming, to produce the following;

TERRAIN_GRASSLAND {
TilesetIndex 4
Icon ICON_TERRAIN_GRASSLANDS
InternalType: Grassland
CanDie

AddAdvance ADVANCE_TOOLMAKING
TransformAdd {
Time 1
Materials 400
}

RemoveAdvance ADVANCE_TOOLMAKING
TransformRemove {
Time 1
Materials 20
}

EnvBase {
Score 80
Food 55
Shield 25
Gold 15
Defense 0
Movement 100
Freight 100
DeadFood 0
DeadShield 0
DeadGold 0
}

EnvCity {
Score 0
Food 45
Shield 15
Gold 15
Movement 50
Freight 50
}

EnvRiver {
Score 40
Food 45
Shield 15
Gold 15
Movement 50
Freight 50
}

Resources TERRAIN_GRASSLAND_GOOD_TWO
Resources TERRAIN_GRASSLAND_GOOD_ONE

MovementType: Air
MovementType: Land
}

This is giving me the desired effect of increase city size. I am currently at 15 cities at size 67, up from size 61.

Ok..now for the great news!..well sort of!

The pink..(English) are on fire!

They are kicking buttocks and taking NO NAMES!

They are defending cities with twelve tanks! Add Forcefield and city walls..and that spells trouble for me!

I am in Third, and gonna take out orange and then focus on attacking them..once I get my forward cities up to production with Nanite Factories!

I shall keep you folks posted!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old May 5, 2001, 22:07   #10
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

I am on turn 500...all is great..I am being attacked by 12 stacks of fusion tanks-War Walkers..and ahave 75 cities as of this turn. I have 30 cities producing units, 20 cities producing capitization/and or freight caravans...it is a pretty kewl game so far..only one I have found a challenge to date.

I shall keep you posted!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Old May 15, 2001, 20:56   #11
RedArmy
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:00
Any new post? Troll?
Old May 24, 2001, 22:24   #12
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Grrr...not sureI had a problem with saved file, thus I shall start a new game this weekend, and keep you posted here...: I have gotten this to be a pretty exciting game so far!

The AI simply detests when you ignore all requests and demands, as well as being indignant to all other AI's

I will get up with you this weekend to do an update.

Yours in Civin

Troll