Old March 5, 2001, 16:10   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How am I doing?? (a question on the standards of success in the game)
Europa Universalis. . a completely new game. Wonderful to play, quite fun. But with it, the same uncertainty that I had when i FIRST played civilization all those years ago. How am I doing?

I have no idea if I'm doing well or not. I won the tutorial so far, but is that really a big deal? It seems like the tutorial should be easy. So far, i've based my success on trade. . i've gotten my income through trade/taxes (whatever the monthly income consists of) up to about 11d a month. is that good, bad, or what? i guess i'll have to play a few more games to really figure it out, but how does that compare to other players?
connorkimbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2001, 16:14   #2
Steve Clark
King

How long did it take to reach 11d a month?
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2001, 16:14   #3
-- but not Snapcase

Isn't there a victory point system based on relative success in there?
Old March 5, 2001, 16:27   #4
connorkimbro
Emperor

Yes, there is, but that's not exactly what i meant. . i meant something like. . ok. . example. In Civ2 my goal was to have 1,000,000 people by the time 0AD I knew if i got that, i had a good game going. (eventually i raised that goal) but thats the kind of thing i mean.

Steve Clark: not sure, but i won the game (it was the tutorial) by 1560 something. . so it was well before that (i sort of peaked around there i think. . maybe got a bit more, a bit less maybe. that was just a guess at the average)
connorkimbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2001, 23:18   #5
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
Well... my first real game (I messed around for about 10 years total before this) is as France in the Grand Campaign, on the default difficulty(pretty easy). It is about 1735, and I have nearly 10,000 victory points. Spain, my nearest competitor and archenemy has 1270 and falling, China the third place country, and my loyal ally has about 1250 and rising.

The French empire stretches from northern Spain to the other side of the Vistula. Austria is a single province surrounded by French territory. America is mostly mine, Spain owns Latin America, and I have many trade posts in Africa, a sizeable Siberian colony, and decent east Africa colonies, including the whole of Japan. I'd say it's pretty good. Next time I'll try a harder country.
Victor Galis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2001, 02:14   #6
Allemand
Warlord

Local Time: 10:04
Just like with Civ II, the AI will not be able to beat a good human player, even at the hardest level. EU is really a simulation, so you should just set some goals and go about accomplishing them. The fun (or anguish) will be in seeing your fortunes rise or fall.
Allemand is offline   Reply With Quote