Old April 28, 2000, 18:29   #1
Chainsaw
Warlord

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Fortifying Air Units
Anyone around that has noticed this yet? A friend (Civ freak like me) showed me this once: you can fortify fihters & bombers outside your cities on any terrain you want! this rules if you have some colonies weakly defended, and some fighters around. you can then post one or two on stragecical points around the city. the advances: longer range for interception or patrol flights. no more frustrating fighter-losses against ememy bombers attacking your city. just place them two or three squares behind the city, and kill these damned bombers .better losing a cheaper devensive unit than a figher. besides, if you have a well defended city with SAM and a bunch of MI, alpines or sth. AND a fighter in the city, its most likely your fighter has to defend than the much stronger land units.
Also great to block important passages: just fortify an air unit on a railroad whis is the only link between two cities, bigger landmasses or sth, and no land unit can remove this block. especially useful if the enemy hasn´t any cities around (or air bases or carriers).
dont know if fortified fighters can intercept "air bridges" (dont know the correct english expression for that thing... :-)
[This message has been edited by Chainsaw (edited April 28, 2000).]
Old April 28, 2000, 18:56   #2
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

We talked about this before. I believe it only works in one version of the game.
Old April 28, 2000, 19:59   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
yep.This is a MGE cheat that is easily removed.Its not fortify(F) that does it,Its the end turn keyboard shortcut.If you remove it from menu.txt then no more command+n
Old May 2, 2000, 05:32   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Smash - as MWHC says - the bug does exist using the F key in some pre v2.42 versions - fortunately it got fixed in v2.42 - which, for Chainsaw and others benefit is available free from both this site and from the Microprose site.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old May 2, 2000, 13:39   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
Really?just fortify?

conjures up a strange image of an aircraft just hanging there

For the benefit of yourself or #2(its very confusing,one of you should consider a change)I've fired up the "boring comparison game-not" once again and am having much fun with it.Giving the ais a "headstart" like that makes it a little more interesting.

I sailed away and built my cap before taking Camelot this time.

Arthur has been crusading in every sense of the word.He personally captured Diaperton and had to hold it by himself for 1 turn.He has had several close calls but he lives on.For now.He has been away for many years and it is doubtful he will see his beloved Camelot again in this game.He is currently involved in "The Great Seige of Hollywood".

Merlina narrowly escaped certain death after entering a "totally surrounded" barb hut on last move point.For some reason,the barbs ignored her and wandered off only to be "enlightened" next turn

Bedivere and Galahad are now cavalry thanks to Mr DaVinci and remind me of local municipal workers.They haven't done a thing all game cept lounge around in Camelot.

One kinda strange thing(I think).There was a barb horseman that was in the red with a leader.When I attacked the stack,the leader was the one that defended and I got the 150 gold!I have never seen the leader defend like that in a barb stack.Getting the gold for him was pure bonus as all I wanted to do was prevent pillaging.
Old May 3, 2000, 03:56   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yes, Smash, twas I. Glad you are enjoying the game - it didn;t seem to get a lot of play the first time round...
We're not that confusing - after all I gave you Hollywood before I noticed the change in your profile!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor