Old May 2, 2000, 18:10   #1
Sortub
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Lost Units
Has anyone noticed that when you send a unit to a faraway location, it sometimes gets lost? Sometimes they scurry around like beheaded chickens. This happens to both land and sea units. To avoid this, I usually just order units around using the number keypad.

Is there a certain development or level of technology one can attain in order to have units go directly to where you order them?

Also, I wish there were a way to order land units around, automatically taking roads or the railroad.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Sortub (edited May 02, 2000).]</font>
[This message has been edited by Sortub (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 2, 2000, 18:37   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
Yes.Thats because the "go to" command is unreliable at best.Its works well over short distances that have railroads but thats about it.Don't trust it.I rarely use it.
Old May 2, 2000, 21:21   #3
SilverDragon

yeah I know. once on world map I had all of Asia, Europe, and Africa. Anyway, I was trying to send a freight from a city in China to a city in France. I used the go command, and the frieght decided to take a shortcut through the himilayas, instead of the railroads. There's a serious problem with that. Also automated engineers will sometimes decide to go in a random continuous loop, with various 'loop spots' that they liked to go on. Whats going on

Old May 2, 2000, 21:44   #4
Jim W
Warlord

My greatest annoyance in using the "GO" command, is when I have a transport out there, with a clear ocean to cross, no islands or anything in it's way, and it just goes in a little square. And it will do this until I expand the map and catch it between moves and turn the "G" off

On the other hand, I have had cases of sending a freight along a railway foir a long distance, with a couple of bends in the track, and it just zooms over there like a good little boy.

Any time I find myself with a route like that, make as good use of it as I can. It's especially nice if the route happens to end up in my Science City.

Jim W
Old May 3, 2000, 07:51   #5
AkwaticDudeCity
Warlord

I noticed something about the 'go to' command. But i may be wrong though.
It seems if a unit doesn't take the obvious least-movement-cost-route, you need to direct it manually once. Afterwards you can safely use the 'go to' command, and it'll take the route you used manually. Try it, it just might work. It did for me.

------------------
ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?
Old May 3, 2000, 07:57   #6
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:34
I use goto a lot. If you can't get a good path between two cities, pick a city between the two as an intermediate destination (waypoint). Go to that waypoint city, then go to your real destination. Lots quicker than pressing the arrow keys dozens (or hundreds) of times. If I'm trying to move lots of units to the front lines and have a convenient, reliable destination city, I'll rename that city to a unique first letter (usually "X"), to make it easy to choose on a goto.

That said, if you have a unit that *has* to get there this turn, it's always safest to move manually.
Old May 3, 2000, 08:21   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:34
Make sure you download the latest patch for Civ II. The go to command problems were corrected. Still, even with the fix, it's not perfect, but it's far better than it was.

Also, if the fastest way to get somewhere crosses the 0 axis of the map, the go to command will usually send it in the opposite direction.

It is just safer to move the unit yourself
Old May 3, 2000, 10:26   #8
Sortub
Chieftain

Might you give a URL where we can download this latest patch?

On a related note, is the new HiRes modpack downloadable yet?

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2000, 10:30   #9
Oldman
Prince

Sortub, try www.gamezone.com or something like that. there is a patch on that one!!! and i think the Hires2 is available, on mac at least!!! you can see a mention of it in the news section of the civ2 apolyton page, hopefully the pc version will be downloadable soon!!!!!!
Old May 3, 2000, 13:29   #10
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
The patches are available in the Civ2 Database here at Apolyton.

If you go to the database you can select Patches and then page thru to find the MGE/UCC patch, and a lot of other great things.

This is the direct URL
http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/civ2file...load.pl?id=189
Old May 3, 2000, 16:22   #11
Sortub
Chieftain

Thanks... I just downloaded the patch and my ships and settlers go where I want them to. This looks especially useful for the start of the game, as I can just select my spot for settlers, sit back, and watch them go. This, coupled with HiRes (v. 1), makes me feel like I'm playing a whole new game.