Old May 22, 2001, 05:19   #1
D4everman
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good game, bad tutorial.
The yutorial isn't a lot of help. I've learned a few game basics, but I haven't been able to get too far. Heres what happened so far.

I've tried it several times and by the time I get to the part where you're supposed to 'discover' a place I can't find it. Now it could be my natural stupidity, but I have only once seen a message saying "Discover Narvik. Its too your south". Wow...at last a direction to head in, thought I, since this a tutorial and I shouldn't have to waste too much time scouring the globe to get on with it. Well, before I could send a ship that way, I had to do something so I saved the game and came back later...only now it didn't tell me to discover Narvik, but to discover someplace else in north america! What the f***? Apparently my ships suck because they don't get too far without sinking while trying to discover the new world. If this were an actual game I wouldn't moan, but its a tutorial for goodness sakes.

On top of my general *****ing about the tutorial I do have a few newbie questions.

Do trading posts evolve into colonies? Or do you have to send a settler to itr first?

Early in the game is better to build colonies or trading posts in new provinces?

The icons for cavalry and infantry look the same to me. Am I doing something wrong?

:
Old May 22, 2001, 06:41   #2
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 12:12
In tutorial you are to find an friendly opponent in South France and an hostile opponent in Israel/Egypt. Try to find them.

A trading post don'yt evolve to colony whitout colonists.
In game a trader cost 5-15 gold when a colonist is 65 gold ->
Also it is harder to succes in colonisation than trade post creation.

I normally create first trading posts and then upgrade some of them as game evolves.
Important is to understand that a tradingpost doesn't automatically create income for you. A tradingpost creates income to the provinces Center of Trade (CoT). And then you need to have people in that CoT.

IIRC Icons are the same
Jeje2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2001, 08:39   #3
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 22:12
I haven't finished the tutorial yet myself. I had the same problem. There's a big arrow showing the direction to go but the ships are gone due to attrition before you get there. It was a bit of a hard task for a tutorial.
Old May 23, 2001, 13:17   #4
Orbitrex
Settler

Ha! You at least could save the game,but I could not save(I do not know why) ,so completed tutorial without saving.That's hard.You need big patient to play one game all day without interrupts. Missions aren't difficult-only what you need to know is history and geography and that is all.
Orbitrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2001, 22:23   #5
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Patch allows you to save tutorial
The patch 1.08 allows you save the tutorial. However the latest patch is now 1.09 available at http://www.europa-universalis.com/.
Old June 10, 2001, 13:09   #6
DaShi
Emperor

I skipped it. I just played the easy scenarios to learn and experiment with.
Old June 10, 2001, 23:44   #7
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Terraforming tech?
Can anyone tell me why it is even when I've got colonists that sometimes it either won't let me build a colony or a trading post or even neither in some regions? Is there something about the land that makes it uninhabitable? Will research later enable me to do so? Terraforming perhaps?
Old June 11, 2001, 08:32   #8
DaShi
Emperor

It's an odds thing. You have to just keep trying until it sticks. Then the natives come and destroy your colony so you have to try again.
Old June 11, 2001, 09:09   #9
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Yes, but what I meant was the options are greyed out sometimes and so I can't activate them even when I've got available colonists. So far, I haven't found any indication why.
Old June 11, 2001, 11:41   #10
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 06:12
My guess would be that you're trying to colonize a spot that isn't on the coast. You can only colonize internal parts of a continent if you have a colony/trade post next to it.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote