Old May 22, 2001, 09:10   #1
Maxxes
Warlord

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
NEW screensshot found by Al'Kimiya
Al'Kimiry found a 'hidden' screenshot from the Gamespy review

here

As you see it's the science advisor. It's seems not finished to me with all those strange spheres with T's in it and some headers colored and others not.

Looks like the techtree will be pretty much the same as in civ2 except for a few additions like education and printing press.
Old May 22, 2001, 09:29   #2
senowen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:12
Maybe the T's are depressible buttons that go to explainations of the advance. Or maybe they are just placeholders for not completed art. Hmmm...the unit art doesn't look finished at all. It looks like all the artwork are just painted sketches from some graphics program. I'd say this is just a work in progress, visually, but the tree looks like it is already in place. Yep, pretty much like Civ2, but with some new "arts" techs, as was expected by most.
Old May 22, 2001, 09:51   #3
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
Can't access it. Could you extract it and put it up as an attatchment?
Old May 22, 2001, 10:02   #4
senowen
Warlord

Here it is as an attachment. I had to shrink it to 75% b/c of it was too big to attach.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sciadvisorsm.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6  
Old May 22, 2001, 10:23   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Unit art in poster...
Well the thing is that those images are just going to be representations of the units if they are all animated and whatever, so they will probably be just standard icons...

As for what the T spheres are, hmmm, some have crosses through them. Could they refer to making something obsolete or making something available?!
Old May 22, 2001, 10:25   #6
Fiera
Emperor

Aha! The Printing Press tech is in! And I've also seen some other interesting techs: Music Theory, Military Tradition... it looks like we're gonna have a large and very comprehensive tech tree!
Old May 22, 2001, 10:26   #7
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

Hmm, if this screen shows all the advances for the middle age (22 of them), and there is to be 4 ages that will give us about 100 advances. Civ II had 90 (?), with the increase in the number of wonders, units etc one would think that Civ III would have more advances than this.

But a lot of things are bound to change so this screenshot may not be that accurate, or the different ages have different number of advances.

My guess is that the "T"'s are placeholder graphics.

Nice work Al'Kimiya, always int to see new screenshots.
Old May 22, 2001, 11:28   #8
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:12
22*4=88, right? That would mean less tech than in Civ2! Well, maybe they've just chosen to put less techs in Middle Ages.

Some of those techs are dead-enders, BTW. Might these be culture-increasing, considering the names (Free Artistry, etc.)?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 22, 2001, 11:37   #9
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

22*4=88, right? That would mean less tech than in Civ2! Well, maybe they've just chosen to put less techs in Middle Ages.

I'm guessing more for the other ages, therefore I wrote 100. Seem highly unlikely there will be less advances than in Civ II.

There might also be more techs in Middle Ages than is shown in these screenshot, I hope so.

Quote:
Some of those techs are dead-enders, BTW. Might these be culture-increasing, considering the names (Free Artistry, etc.)?

Yep, I think I saw somewhere that some techs are required to advance to the next age, and some are optional and are there to increase culture etc.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:18   #10
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 04:12
I found another hidden screenshot, folks. It is a screenshot of the main map.

On the bottom of the map, you will notice that a worker unit has been selected (the white crossshair) and you can see the buttons for the worker. There is the button to build roads, fort, colony etc...
You can also see a native american unit.

check it at [URL=http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?/e3/civ3/image17.jpg]
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old May 22, 2001, 12:30   #11
tniem
King

It has long been suggested on this forum that each advance have ways to be improved on either through more research or by actual use. I would like to think the 'T's might be that type of improvement of each advance and the indication of how the technology was improved. Of course the actual art is not finalized and so 'T's are used for now.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:51   #12
senowen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

On the bottom of the map, you will notice that a worker unit has been selected (the white crossshair) and you can see the buttons for the worker. There is the button to build roads, fort, colony etc...
This should be a working link here.

If you want I could post a picture like I did of the last one.

Last edited by senowen; May 22, 2001 at 13:00.
Old May 22, 2001, 13:06   #13
The diplomat
King

Yes, go ahead and post the screenshot. Thanks.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Last edited by The diplomat; May 22, 2001 at 13:14.
Old May 22, 2001, 14:22   #14
Sean
Prince

Well it all looks very promising to me.
I hope all the buttons on the playing screen don't turn it into a "click-fest", but this will probably not be the case

Keep the screen-shots coming guys.

The anticaption.....
Old May 22, 2001, 15:02   #15
senowen
Warlord

Quote:
The diplomat: Yes, go ahead and post the screenshot. Thanks.
Actually I'd rather not put up the shot unless someone can't get access, b/c it makes the thread load slowly.

Good job on the new screenshot by the way.

Quote:
Sean: The anticaption.....
That's kind of like the antiparentheses isn't it?
Old May 22, 2001, 15:07   #16
bagdar
Warlord

Music Theory as a tech? What theory? which theory? Why is it in the 'middle ages', are they trying to refer to the beginnings of polyphony? Do they mean 'an awareness of musical theory'? Then why not Pythagoras but the middle ages? Is there a tech named 'equal temperament'??? Do we get to build composer units and get Arnold Schoenberg as a leader who can alter the course of...... Do we have dead-end techs? If so, that's good. Music Th. as a tech... Music Th. is kind of a summary-of-previous-practice, it's not a tech!!! What's happening?
Old May 22, 2001, 15:22   #17
senowen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bagdar
Music Theory as a tech? What theory? which theory? Why is it in the 'middle ages', are they trying to refer to the beginnings of polyphony? Do they mean 'an awareness of musical theory'? Then why not Pythagoras but the middle ages? Is there a tech named 'equal temperament'??? Do we get to build composer units and get Arnold Schoenberg as a leader who can alter the course of...... Do we have dead-end techs? If so, that's good. Music Th. as a tech... Music Th. is kind of a summary-of-previous-practice, it's not a tech!!! What's happening?
Well, it looks like the tech tree is now the "Technology and Arts" tree. What the "Arts" advancements do is enable you to increase the cultural value of your improvements, thereby expanding your borders and potentially attracting neighboring cities to join your empire. I think you are correct in interpreting music theory as 'an awareness of musical theory', which is something that changed the course of Western civilization. Music, especially written (which can only be done with 'an awareness of music theory'), created one of the major means, along with painting, of disseminating Christian thought and practice, thereby creating Western Culture as we know it. (That's the short version).
Old May 22, 2001, 15:50   #18
Slax
Prince

Those advisor head are so annoying. A bunch of indistinguishable white faces. I assume they are Firaxis people, but who cares, beside them.
Old May 22, 2001, 16:46   #19
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

check it at [URL=http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?/e3/civ3/image17.jpg] Second Hidden Gamespy Screenshot
Any guesses at what the various worker functions are?
Old May 22, 2001, 17:21   #20
Ralf
King

Deleted

Last edited by Ralf; May 22, 2001 at 17:37.
Old May 22, 2001, 18:27   #21
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

Any guesses at what the various worker functions are?
If you're referring to the circles at the bottom I guess they are (not counting the empty ones, from the left): irrigation, goto?, roads, fortress, mines and disband (make colony?)
Old May 22, 2001, 18:33   #22
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 02:12
Why is it that when i click on the first screenshot in gamesspy, it sends me back to this thread?
Old May 22, 2001, 20:18   #23
JosefGiven
Warlord

I don't like the idea of techs being given their retrospective names. Some other worthy Apolytonite pointed out that this was a mistake made by CtP, and was one of the factors that destroyed the ambiance of the game.

Surely "Military Tradition" is a retrospective historical term. To explain this further, what Civ II called "Industrialisation", CtP called "The Industrial Revolution". An event can only truly be called a revolution after it has actively been seen to have revolutionary effects upon society. To expand, no-one sets about with the express purpose of creating a 'tradition'. Tradition is something that comes about with years of the same practices being carried out. Perhaps by persuing this tantalising Culture concept, Firaxis have lost the..ahem...'vibe' of the tech tree.

Damn, I wish whoever it was put this point forward originally would read this, and do a better job of explaining it than I have done...
Old May 22, 2001, 21:10   #24
ancient
Prince

this is good now we know how the tech tree works and some tech for sure.. also i think the T's could stand for the level of technology it is like two ts takes longer to research than one T technology.. or maybe it is just place holders.. the art would go after t's.. maybe
Old May 22, 2001, 21:32   #25
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
I had a thought. What if the buttons on the 2nd image were actually the advisors. I mean it seems like the images are for building like you guys said but it is just another thought because i have yet to see any type of menu. Also this looks as if it is full screan not windowed. So any one wondering, i have yet to see any windowed pics yet.
Old May 22, 2001, 21:37   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:12
IMO, I believe the "T"s are just placeholders for the moment.
Old May 23, 2001, 00:32   #27
bagdar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by senowen

Music, especially written (which can only be done with 'an awareness of music theory'), created one of the major means, along with painting, of disseminating Christian thought and practice, thereby creating Western Culture as we know it. (That's the short version).
Well, yes you're right and that's the only way in can be implemented into the game -which is the focus of our discourse of course. But still, the point I was trying to make is (let's make an analogy): How good does it sound if we actually have SCIENCE in the tech tree? Maybe it does sound reasonable, given that we owe Science to the genius of the first Greek philosophers. Besides, in the previous games, we had techs like 'philosophy'... Also, it seems that Mus.Th. is connected to a tech named 'education'; that's good news, because it really is a tool for education, and not an unshakable guiding principle of practicing composers -the greatest ones at least-. Thus: this is OK.

The problem is, it seems that we're going to get such techs, for the sake of culture in the game, that'll be a bit too... rough approximations of what is meant by them . Of course, that's in comparison with the concreteness of Iron Working, of The Wheel!!!

ok, ok, this is a game.

Last edited by bagdar; May 23, 2001 at 00:42.
Old May 23, 2001, 01:00   #28
Beckdawg
Chieftain

Location: proud member of OfAPeCiClu(THE DARK SIDE) I am know as the "loyal drunkard" of the group
I had another thought about the tech tree. I think that the circles w/ T are placeholds. That is nothing new. But what i think is new is that the ones w/ boxes around them are city improvements. If you look at the miliary units they don't have boxes around them. That leads me to believe that it is the improvements in boxes. Also the big circle could be a wonder King Richards Cruisade prehaps??? but if that is the case then shouldnt' there be one on Fuedisum for the Sun Tzu War wonder? I dunno what do u guys think?
Old May 23, 2001, 08:39   #29
senowen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bagdar

How good does it sound if we actually have SCIENCE in the tech tree? Maybe it does sound reasonable, given that we owe Science to the genius of the first Greek philosophers. Besides, in the previous games, we had techs like 'philosophy'...
Why not have something called Scientific Method? In reality this was a very important breakthrough that separated philosophy and natural science into two entirely different fields.

Quote:
Also, it seems that Mus.Th. is connected to a tech named 'education'; that's good news, because it really is a tool for education, and not an unshakable guiding principle of practicing composers -the greatest ones at least-. Thus: this is OK.
I had another thought about the Music Theory 'tech'. Maybe they used the terms Music Theory BECAUSE of how generic it sounds. I mean, every culture has their own musical traditions. They couldn't use something like Counterpoint or Tonality since these are Western concepts.

Quote:
The problem is, it seems that we're going to get such techs, for the sake of culture in the game, that'll be a bit too... rough approximations of what is meant by them . Of course, that's in comparison with the concreteness of Iron Working, of The Wheel!!!
I agree on this, but what they have done is make these cultural advancements optional. You can always move on to another age without getting the dead-end cultural 'techs', as long as they are not prerequisites to another 'tech'.
Old May 23, 2001, 09:56   #30
bagdar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by senowen

I had another thought about the Music Theory 'tech'. Maybe they used the terms Music Theory BECAUSE of how generic it sounds. I mean, every culture has their own musical traditions. They couldn't use something like Counterpoint or Tonality since these are Western concepts. ....but what they have done is make these cultural advancements optional. You can always move on to another age without getting the dead-end cultural 'techs', as long as they are not prerequisites to another 'tech'.
yes, you formulated it in the most appropriate way.

and it's certainly the most feasible way of implementing 'culture' in the game... (although it still sounds awkward )
to exchange knowledge with us?'^
_'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
_'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'