Old May 3, 2000, 04:30   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
HELP - Disfunctional Diplomats!
Preamble: I bought FW (v2.7.8l - last character a lower case L) shortly before Easter and have until now only played scenarios and OCC. I thought that this (see below) was a 'feature' of the scenarios and consequently posted a query on the Help board. However, last night playing a good old fashioned small world bloodlust it happened again ...

Problem: My diplomats will not enter an opponents city - when I try to move them in absolutely nothing happens (very like when you attempt to move a land unit out to sea). Consequently I cannot investigate, bribe, establish embassy, poison, sabotage or any of the other wondrous things that we like to do to the poor unsuspecting AI. As far as I can tell the remainder of the game (including the ability to subvert enemy units) is working fine.

So far: Following Smash's earlier advice I have investigated the Game.txt file and the relevent section appears to be @SPYOPTIONS which is unchanged from that in my v2.42 (which I have not checked out recently - so could conceivably also be corrupt - not likely, I do know my way around a PC)

Any ideas, guys?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old May 3, 2000, 05:13   #2
Oldman
Prince

I have to say i've never had the problem at all on 2.42 i've never played FW, could it just be a bug with FW? i don't see how it could be a corruption problem, if it's occured even after quiting and restarting and on different occurences?!?!

Have you tried reinstalling the FW game? you never know - it may just work?!?!
Old May 3, 2000, 08:06   #3
Cato
Settler

Hey Scouse,

I had the same problem, but luckily had backed up the 2.4.2 game.txt file and just copied it back into the civ2 directory (most of the FW scenarios come with their own game.txt file). If you email me, I can reply with a copy of the 2.4.2 game.txt file attached. Solved the problem for me.
Old May 3, 2000, 14:48   #4
Miner
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unusual to say the least. When I bought FW this did not happen, so I have to say this is not a bug with FW.
Have you tried reinstalling FW?
Old May 5, 2000, 17:20   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

The Plot Thickens In my latest game everything was going hunky dory - I even managed to bribe a couple of early cities. Aha - methinks - the problem has gone away - so I go to bed and ---- the following morning no can bribe!!!
I have started a new game - cheated a diplo and sure enough I can bribe to my heart's content, BUT at some critical point it all dries up and goes away ....

H E L P !

------------------

Old May 5, 2000, 20:39   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:34
something is very screwy there.I suggest a re-install.

It almost seems as though your game is not reading the unit slots correctly.You have a diplomat but it thinks you have an engineer or caravan.Maybe you could check and see if the diplomat has any "new" abilities.Like attack for instance.

Weird
Old May 8, 2000, 07:27   #7
Cato
Settler

I would say definitely reinstall. That is whacky. Let us know how it goes. Good luck to ya.
Old May 16, 2000, 09:03   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Bump!
Reinstall gives no change - same CD on SG2's machine does not display the same problem.
Still H E L P !!

------------------

Old May 16, 2000, 09:25   #9
Oldman
Prince

Sounds like you've pissed off your processor, and it's fooling around with it's maths to mess you about!!!

You haven't been playing around with another processor have you? fiddling with a laptop maybe? news gets around you know!!!!
Old May 16, 2000, 10:33   #10
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

more ... same problem with my machine here at work! Further twist, now when I use F3 to contact people I get their demands followed by the usual and please bve brief message and then. Nothing, Nada just return to game.....
I am getting seriously POd with it - and yes, Oldman, it could be the processeor getting its revenge I'm overclocking it 166% and waiting to see what melts!

------------------

Old May 16, 2000, 10:59   #11
tobyr
Prince

I was not able to move dips into a city when it was UNDEFENDED. (This is in ToT.) I assumed the obvious:

A dip is not allowed to conquer a city (?), so if it the city undefended, the dip is not allowed to move onto its square; therefore it cannot do any of it's usual stuff.

Does this make any sense? (Even if true, it is of course unrealistic.)

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old May 16, 2000, 11:06   #12
Oldman
Prince

Scouse: So what should your processor be running at? i'd give it a go myself overclocking my p90, even though it's underclocked at 75 (bloody engineers?!!?) only i can't find my manual (jumpers - yeah right?!?!) and if i could afford to fix a melt down?!?!!??!

i am seriously lost as to why it's doing it?!?! i mean it's ok on SG2's machine, same CD?!?! you've reinstalled on your pc right? so i'm lost, my feeble brain can't cope man!!!!!