Old May 17, 2000, 00:58   #31
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Your strategy depends to some extent on the level you are playing at. At deity, you need to manage unhappiness earlier.
Initially, I explore for huts, and to find a GOOD location for the capitol; preferably on a river with whales or wine.
I found four cities asap, and go directly to monarchy. After the capitol builds a defender and a settler, it starts on any wonder, intending to get hanging gardens early. After monarchy, the outlying cities build settlers and expand, and the interior build food caravans to build wonders in the capitol. I build cities to cover open areas without gaps. It just seems easier than ICS.
I expand until stopped by terrain or AI civs.
I try to build every useful wonder, I find it fun to beat the AI to them, and it's not so easy. I ask for tribute whenever the AI is not hostile, and might have 100 gold. Recently, I got 750 gold from one civ!
I build up gold, and when a rival sneak attacks, I bribe away a city. If they ask for a cease fire, I refuse and get gold for that and also for peace.
I like SOL, and when I get that, I use wltx days to grow, then go to communism to build more infrastructure. I go fundy if I need gold.
At this point, I usually decide to conquer the world. I do this by demanding tribute to weaken the AI, and then bribing away his cities.
If I decide on AC, I stop expanding when I can protect the civ from AI access. With a good start, it is just a matter of time.