Old May 24, 2001, 14:30   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Box Formation Out?
in civ 2, there was a phenonem known to me and my friends as "box formation".

it was the alignment of resources throught the map, which almost resembled swastikas .

the screens i see contain mineals all whilly nilly, scattered all over the place.

does anyone know of any organization of this?

and also help fill me in on some basics:
[list=1][*]how many squares is the city radius now?[*]how many resources can a city contain[*]i BELIEVE that colonies have to be connected to your capital, how would overseas colonies work[/list=1]

sorry if i asked stupid questions
Old May 24, 2001, 15:02   #2
SerapisIV
King

Re: Box Formation Out?
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
*how many squares is the city radius now?
Same as all previous civ games, see the Firaxis Civ3 site, most recent "Ask The Team" section for a screenshot.

Quote:
*how many resources can a city contain
It seems to be random, though unevenly seeded resources, meaning that its random, but focused in different regions. Who knows you might get lucky and have a city with 4 resources, we'll probably only find this out when the game comes out.

Quote:
*i BELIEVE that colonies have to be connected to your capital, how would overseas colonies work
Unknown, though from Firaxis Dan's recent post in the "colonies" thread, it sounds as if overseas colonies must still be connected by road to a city, but that cities can be connected by harbors. Though, this is still debatable till we get more concrete info.

Quote:
sorry if i asked stupid questions
don't be, everyone does. Take a look at the Firaxis Civ3 website and the Apolyton CivIII (not forums) webpage, they'll give you the info or links to previews from which all the info that Apolytoners have about the game come from.
Old May 24, 2001, 17:08   #3
joseph1944

Re: Re: Box Formation Out?
Quote:
Unknown, though from Firaxis Dan's recent post in the "colonies" thread, it sounds as if overseas colonies must still be connected by road to a city, but that cities can be connected by harbors. Though, this is still debatable till we get more concrete info.
The way I read this is yes if we have a colony connected to a harbors and another harbors elsewhere and connected to our Capital City and a ship to go back and forth we will get the resource. Also I belive they also said after we can build airport the same applies.

Old May 24, 2001, 17:20   #4
SerapisIV
King

Re: Re: Re: Box Formation Out?
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944
The way I read this is yes if we have a colony connected to a harbors and another harbors elsewhere and connected to our Capital City and a ship to go back and forth we will get the resource. Also I belive they also said after we can build airport the same applies.
We believe the same thing, I think though that its automatic, no need for an actual trade ship, its never been mentioned before, and Firaxis appears to want the model simple, no micromanagement, like only being able to build units requiring the resource when you trade ship gets to your city.
Old May 25, 2001, 16:24   #5
tniem
King

Everything I have read on resource distribution is that it will be uneven and random forcing the player to expand or defend his territory. It certainly will make MP interesting especially if they allow handicaps so that a better player with have a lower probablility of getting a lot of the resources.
Old May 25, 2001, 17:25   #6
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 06:19
The trouble is that it will be a whole lot more luck...

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 25, 2001, 17:42   #7
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FireDragon
The trouble is that it will be a whole lot more luck...
That's what I fear. Luck in MP game due to how the resources are distributed.

However, the way to make it work so that MP is actually improved by it is to give handicaps. This could come from what the players decide or how the player has preformed previously. What the handicaps would do is give a higher percentage chance for a player to have resources located near their starting position than someone with a lower handicap. This way you could play your friends that are worse than you in civ but still have a challenge because they are going to get all the good resources and are not going to share.