Old May 24, 2001, 17:37   #1
Jer8m8
Warlord

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
different capital buildings
Imagine this... Some idiot with a nuke acquires a US plane and flys over Washington DC. He drops the nuke, and the three branches of government are whiped out.

I don't want some AI to do this. I propose that in democracy you can build a palace, high court and capitol building (one per civ). Sure, you can put them all in one city, but why not spread them to avoid losing your whole a gov in an attack
Old May 24, 2001, 17:47   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

well, in civ, you're basically the entire government.

except for the republic / democracy, where the imaginary senate pisses me off by not letting me kill annoying rogues.

and if you look at the real world, all the sections of a government are relatively close.
Old May 24, 2001, 18:08   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

This is a good idea thouhg.... Maybe your government is less efficient if you split up the important buildings, but if only one is seized, it should be less damaging?
Old May 24, 2001, 18:38   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:19
Agreed
Three Branches of Government- but you can only split them up after the discovery of "Republic" into

Judicial
Legislative Houses
Executive
Old May 24, 2001, 18:50   #5
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
Sure. There a plenty of precedents for this- Holland (Executive in one city, Judiciary and Legislative in another), Tanzania (Legislative in one city, Executive and Judiciary in another), South Africa (Judiciary in one city, Executive and half of the legislative in anonther, Legislative in a third), and so on.
Old May 24, 2001, 19:35   #6
Andreiguy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Good idea!

Like when France had a monarchy, the "capital" was Paris, but really, the court resided at the palace in Versailles. I think you should have a palace and capitol building (and perhaps Supreme Court that would be sort of a super-courthouse) that you could build. Dunno, I just like that kind of stuff, Civ leaves some things to imagination, and that's what's good about it!
Old May 24, 2001, 23:52   #7
me_irate
Warlord

i believe that bolivia also has a two different cities in which the gov resides.
Old May 25, 2001, 02:05   #8
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:19
Re: different capital buildings
Quote:
Originally posted by Jer8m8
I don't want some AI to do this. I propose that in democracy you can build a palace, high court and capitol building (one per civ). Sure, you can put them all in one city, but why not spread them to avoid losing your whole a gov in an attack
If you dont want the AI to be able to do this, perhaps you dont want the AI to be able to beat you once in a while either.

Risktaking and uncertainty is part of the fun. Infact, If the AI manage to conquer (not just destroy) your capitol city, perhaps 1/3 of all your cities automatically should revolt/panic.
Old May 25, 2001, 15:28   #9
Captain
King

Why shouldn't your civ suffer horribly if the AI manages to nuke your capital?
It's a good idea to have the option to split your govt bldgs into diff cities if you want, but I think it should be devastating to your civ to lose your capital. Besides the loss of leadership (hence chain of command), there's also huge symbolic loss. Hopefully you'll be prudent enough to defend your capital sufficiently, by shooting down enemy craft way before they get within range of your capital, building SDI, or surrounding the land with airbases (they're forced to land the nuke, then you kill the nuke in the airbase)

But I don't think you'll have too much to really worry about. Historically the AI has always been weak on strategy. Plus, I think in Civ 2 there was an option of relocating your govt when your capital fell - you just had to pay 1000gold or something (but I could be wrong, it pretty much never happened anyways since my capital was always very secure in the middle of my empire)
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 25, 2001, 15:34   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

perhaps they should make it so that the AI cant walk within 100 squares of your capital... it would basically serve the same purpose.
Old May 25, 2001, 21:28   #11
Jer8m8
Warlord

what i meant is that you can split your capital, but probably with less of the bonuses. the AI should be able to kill you
Old May 26, 2001, 16:04   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

but the AI taking all 3 capital cities before you moved one of the destroyed pieces, and therefore utterly destroying you, is extrememly a remote possibility.

i happen to love the whole "split civ" thing that can happen if you lose your capital.

a civil war sure livens up a game