Old May 25, 2001, 10:30   #1
Gammaray fan
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Soccer in Civ!
What if sport was modelled in civ?
A possible solution would be to have an increasing chance of a civ inventing a national sport as culture increases! Only when a civ has a national sport should a civ be able to build colloseums, and sport stadiums etc.
Since cultural influence simply by converting cities is a bit extreme, before a city is converted (if you have a national sport) the city should become a subscriber to your sport. The spread of different sports throughout the world could be modelled by this method. Any civ would be able to make another civs sport its national sport so they could build colloseums etc. but only the founding civ would get an extra bonus depending on the popularity of the sport, eg. a happiness bonus, a gold bonus, or a culture bonus...
Old May 25, 2001, 10:32   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:20
And if you play the English civ, you'd require a police station before you built a colliseum
Old May 25, 2001, 13:13   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Perhaps we could include sports stadiums as happiness improvements and "in the way you said" it would be used to quickly assimilate captured cities into your civilization.
Old May 25, 2001, 15:52   #4
tniem
King

And while were add it, if a civ gains enough culture points they can build the world's largest and grandest golf course.
Old May 25, 2001, 17:26   #5
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 06:20
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
And if you play the English civ, you'd require a police station before you built a colliseum
ROTFLMAO!

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 25, 2001, 22:20   #6
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
A great idea! And if you produced a football gifted leader, as Pelé or Maradona, that could mean great amounts of hapiness for your civ...

Viva el Diego!
Old May 25, 2001, 22:23   #7
Sean
Prince

Some how I don't see sport in general as being of enough importance to include in Civ III. It hardly rivavels the "real politik" that the game is all about. Just assume sport is included in the general culture rating...they can't include everthing in the game!
Old May 25, 2001, 23:58   #8
RAF
Settler

Local Time: 07:20
Sounds good!
Old May 26, 2001, 00:12   #9
Pilfur
Chieftain

Sports per se may be difficult to implement but I WOULD like to see bidding for the olympics. Bids could be made and the winning civ hosts the olympics, gaining a culture bonus. The athletes then compete and the civs with the most gold medals get a happiness bonus. Easy to implement and fun to see.
Old May 26, 2001, 03:58   #10
Kc7mxo
King

oh dear
um, this just really makes me think about black and white, the most dissapointing game since i played outpost.

but um, i suppose it isn't an awful idea, after all, sports can play an important part of politics, think the olympics in Nazi Germany, or the one we boycotted (in communist russia). and of course a lot of interstign things happened cause of the collisuem in rome. eww, i don't think i spelled that right. oh well.
Old May 26, 2001, 04:09   #11
Gammaray fan
Chieftain

Sports plays an important part in the culture of civs. Gladiators reflected and reafirmed the violent nature of Roman society, and Cricket, became a symbol of the British Empire, serving as a cultural link between the civs within the Empire. Allies that have the same sport should therefore be more culturally linked! Since culture points cannot distinguish between favourable culture and repulsive culture, sport which spreads like culture could have an effect on the attitude of civs towards you. Same sport, more inclined to be friends. Same sport, more inclined to join your civ!
Old May 26, 2001, 04:12   #12
Kc7mxo
King

but
but this defeats the entier purpose because cultural influence has (apperently) already been implemented in civ3. so this is just one more thing that will be floating in the background of our imaginations.

but perhaps one of the period score tabs would list who won in the previous olypmics by who has the highest culture. hmm, i like that.
Old May 26, 2001, 08:00   #13
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
It hardly rivavels the "real politik" that the game is all about.
I remeber a story about a world cup qualifier between two central American countries (IIRC Honduras and El Salvador) sparking off a war because of on pitch incidents and heated competition.

Perhaps someone can confirm?

Quote:
Same sport, more inclined to be friends
Baseball, Basketball, American Footbal vs Association Football, Rugby, Cricket.

Guess England must have more friends than Americans.
Old May 26, 2001, 12:47   #14
Kc7mxo
King

Well, yeah. Haven't you noticed how much everyone seems to hate us? I guees we must be in the civ2 gold edition cause I don't think our rep is that atrocious.

Can anyone else believe that we lost the slot on the human rights board? When nations like China Cuba and Austria are ON it? I say we forget the UN. Lets take our toys and go home.

Speaking of the UN, anyone know what it will do in Civ3?