Old June 13, 2001, 07:24   #91
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Speaking of Eco-Nomics..

I just had an exam last semester at Grad school in an advanced economics course that was so hard that the highest grade was 73%!

(Fortunately for me, I had the highest grade!)

- Skeeve
Old June 14, 2001, 05:50   #92
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
Good on you Skeeve!

Yeah, steer clear of any class that has in the title "Advanced-Microeconomic-theory"

Gee, there seems to be an unhealthy number of econmists in this thread j/k.

Sean.
Old June 14, 2001, 06:11   #93
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
ITS A CONSPIRACY OF ECNMISTS aaargh, run for your life, all non-economists!
Old June 14, 2001, 10:42   #94
berXpert
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerC4WDG Delian League
King

Local Time: 05:21
Have you noted that this thread have 99 replies and 1090 views?

I think is the higer rate ever reached for the CTP 2 forum
Old June 14, 2001, 12:51   #95
Skeeve
Prince

I think the first Succession game had more replies, but as for views, that's hard to tell because this site underwent the changeover in format.

Oh, by the way, in case anyone is wondering, I have the game file now. I will play tonight.. but it will be late because I have a class tonight.

I hope I haven't gone over 72hours already!

- Skeeve

Edit: That's 4 posts in a row that at least 1 "EEK" smiley was used. I wonder if the streak will continue....

(Something to liven up the boredom until we start a war with another civ)
Old June 14, 2001, 19:43   #96
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

4 s in a row!!

Aargh, now I'm doing it !!

I think the MedMod2-beta thread had nearly/over 200 replies...

If you stop to look at the main forums page before diving into CTP2, you may also notice to your shock and amazement that the CTP2 general forum has almost as many posts as the Civ2 general forum, which granted doesn't include strategy, MP or help... But even so, neither does this forum much, so we CTP2 can't be that bad after all
Old June 14, 2001, 23:09   #97
VivalaCTP2
Chieftain

Sean,

I had Intermediate micro exam today (fri) which I suppose is equivalent to your micro II subject, what uni are you at (me Melb Uni).
Old June 15, 2001, 08:15   #98
Skeeve
Prince

Vivala.. looks like you broke the Eek Streak at 5.

Sorry, I still haven't completed my turns yet.
I will surely be finished by today, and will post early evening.

- Skeeve
Old June 15, 2001, 18:42   #99
Sean
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by VivalaCTP2
Sean,

I had Intermediate micro exam today (fri) which I suppose is equivalent to your micro II subject, what uni are you at (me Melb Uni).

I'm at the University of Auckland. And I suspect that the two papers would be very similar. We use "intermediate micro" text books. The Econ dept at AU calls all Micro papers "Microeconomics"...so you have to differintiate between them by refering to the stage/year/level.

Sean.
Old June 15, 2001, 19:49   #100
Skeeve
Prince

• 725 BC – Skeeve the Slender, A very distant relative of Snorf’s founder ascends to the throne after VivalaCTP2 and takes the reigns of a peaceful, albeit boring, kingdom. His first order of business is to do away with research on this thing called “Drama”, and start something called “Shipbuilding”. Of course, Skeeve has no idea what use a ship has, except it involves a very strange technology of creating something that despite its size, can float on water. Public works is raised to 20% to make some more roads. Having a fettish for roads, Skeeve also sets Snorf to work on the Appian Way.
  • 700 BC – Rumors abound that some weirdos called the Incans just declared war on a bunch of wackos called the Ethiopians. Skeeve’s non-response prompts fierce criticism among his advisors. One of them asks him sharply, “What is it with you Skeeve? Are you ignorant or just apathetic?”. Skeeve is reported as saying: “Listen Pal, I don’t know, and I don’t care.
  • 700 BC - 575 BC Not a creature was stirring, not even a wombat.
  • 575 BC – Rumors abound that a bunch of good-for-nothings called the “Greeks” have caught wind of our Appian Way project, and started one themselves. Skeeve declares war on them just for spite, but no ambassadors… or any single member of the Greek nation can be found.
  • 550 BC – Distant sounds of Pillaging are heard. It sounds like clanging swords and a “whoosh whoosh” noise. Beats the hell out of anyone in Australia as to what that means.
  • 500 BC – The art of Shipbuilding is finally revealed by learned men of the land. A prototype Coracle is begun in Yound NSW, and will be ready in 475BC. Also, the very first domestic trade route is established between Snorf and Rooville! Glass is mined out of the Snorfian Mountains and sold in Rooville. After decades of boredom, all the activity this year is just too much for Skeeve. He dies on a mini-Coracle party-boat between Iratland and Jonnyopolis while celebrating the Australian achievements. An autopsy reveals that his blood alcohol level was 20%. (How we got the technology for that, who knows?!) The reign of the Kingdom passes on to someone with a connection to BerXpert the first... but who?

Well, at least we've got a Coracle now. Maybe things will begin to pick up.
... or not.

- Skeeve
Old June 16, 2001, 00:23   #101
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
Just checking in....

Finally, an end to the economics talk and another turn posted
Old June 16, 2001, 02:02   #102
berXpert
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerC4WDG Delian League
King

500BC Ber the eXpert win the fastest one-drink-one-gallon-pure-alcohol contest, also known as BerXpert is allways confunded like a relative from BerXpert the First. He raise the public work up to 30% to build some nets at Aaargh! to increase the population and reach the Double Crab.

475BC First coracle build, routed to the north. Aaargh! start one coracle too. Settlers finished and narrowed to the south.

450BC Warrior at west move to the place of the new planed capital of Australians...

400BC Settlers cross Snorf, thanks to those roads of Skeeve II

350BC Second coracle build, take the route of the south

325BC - 300BC Both coracles found the limits of the world, they can't navigate far away afraid of big monsters of the end of the sea. (traduction THE SHIPS ARE UNUSEFULLS )

275BC XperLand founded but there was not time to build the new capital, Ber the Xpert abord the Aaargh Siren Coracle II looking of new adventures, leaving the throne empty... rumors said that and Immortal Wombat will take this time the Bored Goverment of Australians
Old June 16, 2001, 06:32   #103
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Here is the autobiography of Immortal Wombat II of Australia.

250BC
In the grand tradition of Australian rulers, Wombat spent the first 75 years of his reign being bored. He wandered from city to city, sampling the local beer, and eating cake.

225BC
Australian wise men discover the secret of Electricity. Then Wombat stops playing Civ2 in Young NSW and eats some more Cake.

175BC
The completion of the Appian Way in Snorf brings Wombat into life, and he makes his first executive decision - Snorf begins a settler. On the south coast, a warrior is loaded onto a coracle, and the coracle voyages southwards, in search of new land.

150BC
Australian wise men, have a break from playing CIv2, and discover Drama. They then start to philosophise about philosophical type things, in the hopes that one day they could discover philosophy.

125BC
As Wombat goes to unload his warrior onto a small island South of Xpertland (?), he receives a message from the Gods, containing a mysterious decision "Naval Tactics, or Name:". Intrigued, but confused, Wombat takes the cop out third choice - /reloadslic. The message becomes clear, and the troops are unloaded.

100BC
Iratland finishes bazaar, and starts a theatre.

75BC
Our warrior continues exploring "Long Island"

50BC
Young NSW builds a shrine, and rush-buys a warrior under the orders of Wombat.

25BC
The reasoning behind Wombat's orders becomes apparent, as a coracle completes its long voyage around the island, and arrives in Young NSW harbour, and loads the new warrior unit on board. The city begins building a bazaar.
The southern coracle rounds the end of Long Island, and heads for the horizon.

At this point, Wombat II becomes the first Australian leader to die not of boredom(!) as he dies of a heart attack when he loses a Civ2 game at 500BC by an AI with one city, which built the spaceship
Old June 16, 2001, 13:21   #104
Skeeve
Prince

Nice! Playing CIV2 in 200 BC

I guess you must have been using stones and dice!

Well, I bet it won't be long before we get to wage war....

- Skeeve
Old June 16, 2001, 19:43   #105
Sean
Prince

Good on you guys. Things are starting to get interesting, with further exploaration, and even a completed wonder!!!

Gee the posts came quickly once Skeeve finally played his turn...

umm...I not sure exactly what we would wage war with ...better to concentrate on discovering new techs I think...

Sean.
Old June 18, 2001, 16:13   #106
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Well I can finally post here wow! Apolyton was down all of yesterday, well fo four hours anyway

Darkknight II is forced into power as a punishment for hacking into Wombats civ2 game and causing the AI to cheat wildly!

1AD: roads built to Jonnyopolis and Young NSW.
20AD: Snorf builds a settler. Settlers eager to get out of Snorf.
40AD: Tech goal set to hullmaking as Darkknight feels we need to meet new nations and steal the techs.
60AD: Xpertland riot due to boredom. A shrine is ordered to be to keep them busy building it
80AD: exploring continues, explorers seek to sail as far from Aussieland as possible.
100AD: Settler being sent to the SE.
120AD: Ballistics discovered, people start using bows in Iratland in lack of other things to do.
140AD: Snorf to build archers, roadbuilding continues toward aaagh!
160AD: Darkabode built in SE citizens feel that they may be able to liven up their town by putting cobbles on the roads.
180AD: Iratland set to build a ballista tower.
200AD: Snorf and Young NSW set to build ballista towers.

Darkknights sentence has been suspended as the court feels he has suffered too much already. The state is to pay for his stay in the mental home.

Sorry about playing 200AD by mistake, but nothing much happened anyway, as usual.
Old June 18, 2001, 19:17   #107
Sean
Prince

Here begins the transcript....

After Darkknights shorten sentence the Australians are short one leader...They call one the promise that the old Hermit Sean made some 2000yrs ago, (Just goes to show what healthy living can do for you ). Sean Agrees to become temporary leader again for ten turns (no one amongst the people understands what he he is talking about, but he is very wise, so they accept.) But for some strange reason everyone calls him Sean II (?!?) though he is infact the same Sean as Sean I....

Started 220ad finished 420 ad.

1) Road completed to Aarrgh. Darkknights good work is completed. The boats continue to explore the continental shelf...largely in vain.
2) Sean rights a history of Australian War and Conflict. It is short. It only includes the Military Brilliance of Darkknight I (until he turn suicidal ) and Seans own military Genious, as the two leaders saved the early Australian civilisation from wave after wave of Barbarian Hordes. Nothing Happens.
3) Road started and completed to Darkabode. Darkabode riots, until Sean sorts it out.
4) New construction ques started in Rooville and Xpertland.
5-6) Sean, despite his great age and wisdom, (or maybe because of it ) becomes addicted to a game called Civ II that was 'lying around the palace". Nothing Happens.
7) Transalpine Pass started between Snorf and Rooville. Not completed.
8) Iratland is ordered to build a settler. Sean believes this settler unit can be sent to the southern chain of islands to found another city, and stretch our empire over the seas....NB, Iratland has built all buildings so has qued a caravan next.
9-10) Sean grows tired of his position, and of life...he begans to fade away...And the Story of Sean the Wise becomes a tale of myth and legend...

11) Philosophy discoved (So stuff that Iratland can now build). I choose Monarchy, instead of continuing our goal to Hullmaking, for Obvious reason. But it is up to David to decide, cause this really is the strart of his turn...I only choose an option so I could save the game.

Note, we are really falling behind in the wonder race. We are also bottom on the power graph
Old June 19, 2001, 08:40   #108
Skeeve
Prince

Even though things look bleak for us in comparison to other Civs, it really isn't all that bad. Remember, that the CTP2 AI is so dumb, that they will never launch a concentrated attack.

At worst, they'll drop off 3 or 4 units. We'll mount an effective defense, defeat them, they'll drop off 3 or 4 units, and repeat.

If the AI had any brains at all, they would send several ships and concentrate an attack force of 12 units to wreak devastation upon us.

It simply won't happen that way.. so we'll just bide our time, steal technology, and slowly gain ground.

By the way, have we reached the 10-city threshold of happiness allowed by Tyranny yet? If so, Monarchy is probably a good move to research.

- Skeeve
Old June 19, 2001, 09:07   #109
Skeeve
Prince

NOTICE:

Please Include Gazablanca as our 15th Player.
And OmniGod as our 16th Player.
Below is the updated list of players:

1) Skeeve - Scanga@aol.com
2) Berxpert - Berxpert@yahoo.com
3) Immortal Wombat - Weaver1@tinyworld.co.uk
4) Darkknight - Gondhi_dm@hotmail.com
5) Sean - Kimpton@xtra.co.nz
6) David_Murray - david@windygates.co.uk
7) bj - blakjack@planetquake.com
8) Phoenixcager - Phoenixcager@yahoo.com
9) me_irate - me_irate@hotmail.com
10) Jackazzstudent - adambrobinson@msn.com
11) Johnny - Jonny11788@aol.com
12) rooboy - arb77@optushome.com.au
13) pilfur - twaterman@execulink.com
14) Vivala - jbnhl@hotmail.com
15) Gazablanca - gazbeans@blueyonder.co.uk
16) OmniGod - rsaari@alumni.uwaterloo.ca

- Skeeve

Last edited by Skeeve; June 19, 2001 at 11:19.
Old June 20, 2001, 23:14   #110
Sean
Prince

Hi Guys,

David just e-mailed me...he can not play his turn untill the weekend (computer problems). So he asked me to the foward the file onto the next player, (bj, its on the way). However, he is keen to play after bj if thats alright and then return to the normal order, ie he passes it onto Phoenixcager. My personal opinion is that id you miss a turn, your out for that round (its just easier!). But I'll leave it up to the discreation of bj and subsequant players to decide.

Sean.
Old June 21, 2001, 23:03   #111
jackazzstudent
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:21
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen (?),

I'm afraid I will have to leave the game, and aren't you glad I am just AFTER the updated email list was sent. I start work in a new city within a week so who knows when I'll be online etc. Thanks for the good times and good luck conquering the world with the ASStralians.

Adam
Old June 22, 2001, 09:14   #112
OmniGod
Civilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Yes..... my turn is coming.... I want to rule... I want to disband the capitals.... I want carnage and hordes of barbarians running through the streets.... Maybe.... thank goodness today isn't my turn or else this might be the reality
Old June 22, 2001, 11:36   #113
Skeeve
Prince

Another Notice:

Due to Jackazzstudent leaving the game, here's the new list:
(We'll miss you Jackazz, good luck in your new endeavors!)

1) Skeeve - Scanga@aol.com
2) Berxpert - Berxpert@yahoo.com
3) Immortal Wombat - Weaver1@tinyworld.co.uk
4) Darkknight - Gondhi_dm@hotmail.com
5) Sean - Kimpton@xtra.co.nz
6) David_Murray - david@windygates.co.uk
7) bj - blakjack@planetquake.com
8) Phoenixcager - Phoenixcager@yahoo.com
9) me_irate - me_irate@hotmail.com
10) Johnny - Jonny11788@aol.com
11) rooboy - arb77@optushome.com.au
12) pilfur - twaterman@execulink.com
13) Vivala - jbnhl@hotmail.com
14) Gazablanca - gazbeans@blueyonder.co.uk
15) OmniGod - rsaari@alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Old June 22, 2001, 11:43   #114
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I was getting confused when I logged on then, suddenly CTP2 forums had been split up into 4 again and I couldn't even find Game three thread in the multiplayer forum. Then I realised I was reading the CTP1 forums.

Well I'm off back to Castle Marrach for a while.
Old June 24, 2001, 12:46   #115
bj
Chieftain

FYI I have a Microeconomics exam this Tuesday. Flinders uni SA, 2nd year. Im doing BIT and eco is an elective, carried on from when i did it in high school. I doubt i'll be doing any more of it

the reason for this post though is that AFAIK i dropped out of all succession games, for various reasons-mainly time. But i've since received two succession games via email so maybe i didnt make it clear i cant play. Soz. This is the only thread i could track down where i recently been mentioned. if theres another Im sure someone will read this. apologies to those waiting on me
Old June 24, 2001, 18:08   #116
Sean
Prince

Bj/everyone,

I vaguely remember you mentioning that, and wondered if it was worthwhile sending you the gamefile. But your name was on the e-mail list....Skeeve, whats going on?!?

Anyway, the solution seems simple enough, David should play his turn (I'll e-mail him), and then foward it onto Phoenixcager.

Maybe someone can actually play a turn at some stage...

Sean.

"The Old Grump".
Old June 25, 2001, 13:35   #117
me_irate
Warlord

sean, did you email david the file right after you finished your turn? If thats the case it is way past the 72 hour rule. So maybe send it off to the player after him if we dont hear from him soon.
Old June 25, 2001, 18:16   #118
Sean
Prince

me_irate,

Thats the thing, I did e-mail it to the next person, (bj) but he no longer plays succession games. Except we did not relise this! It took him time to get back to us... so we are lightyears beyond the 72 hr rule But David told me some time ago that he would be up and running soon enough, so I thought it better that he not miss a turn, considering the unusual circumstances.

(EDIT: Just checked when I posted my transcript...effectively a week ago!!)

And David has assured me that he will play the game soon. His e-mail arrived approximately 12hrs ago (to me) and he said he would play it after work. So it must be on the way!!!!

Last edited by Sean; June 25, 2001 at 18:48.
Old June 26, 2001, 00:04   #119
bj
Chieftain

FYI I was a bit worried bout that exam and I went in to find 7 moderate questions, of which you only had to answer 4! I thought my book was missing pages but apparently not.

In previous years we had to write two essay questions as well as the other stuff. Our lecturer is just easily persuaded and fairly relaxed

Idea: Theres quite a few Aussies/ NZers here, maybe in the future a "local" succession game could be played. Would make things easier on timezones etc. The 72 hour rule could probably be reduced too. Other areas might be interested in this too, for instance the British Isles?

Hey you might even find this would be perfect for a simultaneous competition - just looking at this page you could have Australasia/Asia VS Europe Vs North America, Im sure there'd be enough interested persons.

But for now Im elsewhere.
Old June 26, 2001, 02:48   #120
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
Does David know I'm next, since bj's not playing?