Old June 26, 2001, 07:14   #121
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Idea: Theres quite a few Aussies/ NZers here, maybe in the future a "local" succession game could be played. Would make things easier on timezones etc. The 72 hour rule could probably be reduced too. Other areas might be interested in this too, for instance the British Isles?
Wouldn't having it local make it harder to play the timezones? If everyone was going to play after work, then you'd get two, maybe three turns played, then a 20 hour break. If we could organise it to go around the world, then we'd get it played faster maybe.
West-coast USA -> Mid-USA -> East-coast USA -> Britain -> Europe -> Israel (next Civ hotspot) -> Pheonixcager -> Austalia -> NZ ->P-c USA

Quote:
Hey you might even find this would be perfect for a simultaneous competition - just looking at this page you could have Australasia/Asia VS Europe Vs North America, Im sure there'd be enough interested persons.
That would be interesting for sure.

PS check the new smilies!
Old June 26, 2001, 13:17   #122
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 06:21
Oops, I vaguely remember bj dropping out, but I totally forgot!
My bad. I must have been .

Here's the latest and greatest update of our players:

1) Skeeve - Scanga@aol.com
2) Berxpert - Berxpert@yahoo.com
3) Immortal Wombat - Weaver1@tinyworld.co.uk
4) Darkknight - Gondhi_dm@hotmail.com
5) Sean - Kimpton@xtra.co.nz
6) David_Murray - david@windygates.co.uk
7) Phoenixcager - Phoenixcager@yahoo.com
8) me_irate - me_irate@hotmail.com
9) Johnny - Jonny11788@aol.com
10) rooboy - arb77@optushome.com.au
11) pilfur - twaterman@execulink.com
12) Vivala - jbnhl@hotmail.com
13) Gazablanca - gazbeans@blueyonder.co.uk
14) OmniGod - rsaari@alumni.uwaterloo.ca

- Skeeve

Cool new smiles!
Old June 26, 2001, 20:21   #123
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
Phoenixcager,

I told David you were next. I even cut'n'pasted your e-mail address when I e-mailed him, for his convience.

But the big question is where is his transcrpit!! Its been nearly 40hrs since he assured me he was going to play his turn straight after work!!!??!! (And even longer since he receive the game file from me, though that is by-the-by really). I doubt that he works 48hr shifts...

I would send Phoenix the file right now, except David might actually get his lazy and useless arse into gear and post his transcript any time now... and then confusion will rain..

The Old Grump.

Last edited by Sean; June 27, 2001 at 05:38.
Old June 26, 2001, 23:44   #124
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
OK Sean, I'll wait.

Wombat, wouldn't going West around the world be a better idea?

With your idea, if someone plays the game at 7pm and sends it to the next player, it's 8pm in the next time zone, and 9pm in the next and so on....

If we go west, it gets earlier...
Old June 26, 2001, 23:57   #125
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 05:21
I'd like to invoke the 196-hour rule now. OK, OK. I know that some people left the game and people may be confused, but does it have to take a week to sort this out? I say we just skip the next few players and send the file on to me to prevent confusion.

Just kidding. This game is starting to get slow and boring, though.
Old June 27, 2001, 03:59   #126
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Oops, guess I didn't really think it through. Yeah I suppose going west would make more sense.
Old June 27, 2001, 05:48   #127
Sean
Prince

I can not wait any longer, and have just fowarded the game-file to Phoenix. It is unfair that a realiable player such as him should have to wait so long for other people to get organised.

Anyway, once the 196hr rule had bee enacted, what else could I do...

Sean.
Old June 27, 2001, 12:55   #128
Skeeve
Prince

Ah... The 196 hour rule!
I think that was written in the fine print.

I was thinking about Wombat's Time-Zone Synchronized Succession game again and here's what could theoretically happen:

Player #1 in Sydney starts a succession game at 5:00pm Local time. He plays for exactly 1 hour and sends the file WEST (as noted by our friend Phoenix the Cager ) to Player #2 in Brisbane.

Player #2 in Brisbane receives the file at... you guessed it... 5:00pm Local time! He plays for exactly 1 hour and sends the file WEST to player #3 in Japan. (actually, more north than west, but whatever).

Player #3 in Hiroshima, Japan receives the file at ...U guessed it again! 5:00pm! He plays for 1 hour and sends the file to #4.

Theoretically, if the time zones and players were perfectly lined up, 24 turns could pass and the 24th turn would fall back on player #1 in Sydney one whole day later and at exactly the same time as the day before.

Of course, reality would be vastly different from this theoretical model, but at least this gives the framework. Imagine a succession game in which 24 turns could pass in 24 hours! Wow.

In any event, if anyone wants to take on the daunting challenge of setting this one up, then I suggest that Time Zones be referred to as GMT +/-.
For example, I'm in the Eastern U.S., My Time Zone is GMT -5
If someone could be found from Time Zone GMT -4, then they would go in the play-order just before me. (because I am WEST of that time zone). Of course, I really doubt anyone lives in GMT -4, because that would probably be Greenland or some tiny island in the Atlantic Ocean.

Anyway, it's a great idea, and we should give it a try at least once. I won't be able to help set it up, however, until after July 20th.

- Skeeve
Old June 27, 2001, 17:10   #129
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

In fact, is there anyone between GMT and GMT -5 ?
Old June 27, 2001, 18:11   #130
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
In fact, is there anyone between GMT and GMT -5 ?

Hahaha that would make a problem.

But what have time zones got to do with it?

Player #1 in Sydney plays for one hour 5pm - 6pm then sends it to...

Player #2 in Canada who recieves it at 5am ??? and plays to 6am.
(you'd have to arrange it so that the person isn't asleep though)
and sends it to...

Player #3 in Outer Mongolia who gets the file at 2pm and plays to 3pm.
After 24 hours and 24 players it'll get sent back to Player one at 5pm local time
Old June 27, 2001, 18:50   #131
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

DK: If it can be organised to go one time-zone every hour, then everyone can play at the time that suits them best (after work, and off-peak 6-7 maybe).

Skeeve, send a worldmap along with the SG next time you get it, then everyone opens it, puts a smallish dot where they are, then sends it on. After a complete round, we send it to the temporary drop-outs, and they can do the same. Then we can arrange an order based on where each person has put their dot.
Oh yeah, and colour coded, so we know who "owns" each dot...

Then we arrange for people close to each other to strategically move house to India, Yemen, Tristan de Cunha or Fiji
Old June 27, 2001, 19:21   #132
me_irate
Warlord

that might work if everyone said a specific time they could play. Lets say the guy in central wanted to play at 5:00 pm but the guy in the eastern wanted to play at 10:00 pm and the guy in west wanted to play at 5:00 so the order would be central, west east. It wouldn't go a set dirrection, but with a little figuring it could easily be decided the order. As for me my ideal time is 10:00 pm or later. I usually play my games between 10:00pm and 1:00 am. when their are few distractions.
Old June 28, 2001, 10:11   #133
phoenixcager
Emperor

I've received the file from Sean. I'll play it ASAP!
Old June 28, 2001, 11:47   #134
phoenixcager
Emperor

The Reign of PC the bored

In 420 Ad, the new ruler of the Amazing Australians, PC, comes to power. He surveys the lands of our great people and notices that we seem to be the only ones in the world that we know of! He also notices that the people of the capital city are idle, and immediately tasks them to build an academy.

Noticing that everything is running find without him, he then takes a 60-year vacation and returns in 480ad.

At this time, he realises that some of the citizens are undernourished, and decides to devote resources to fishing trade in Iratland and Jonnyopolis.

In 500ad, a group of restless citizens in Iratland are kicked out of the overpopulated city to go seek out new lands to populate.

By 520ad, some caravans are built in Aaagh! and Jonnyopolis. Unfortunately, there's no one to trade with.

In 540ad, the Grand Snorf Academy is finally built and opened in grand fashion. Snorf runs out of buildings to build, and it is decided that caravans are probably the way to go.

In 560 Darkabode builds a second Hoplite, and in 580 Young NSW builds a theater to keep restless citizens entertained, and in 600ad, Darkabode and Rooville get into the fishing trade too.

Thus ends the uneventful reign of PC the bored.
Old June 28, 2001, 11:49   #135
phoenixcager
Emperor

And here's a screenshot of our current situation.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	australia-620ad.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	693  
Old June 28, 2001, 12:15   #136
rooboy
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:21
This is how it could happen. Start in New Zealand (GMT+12:00hrs) with Sean, then head west across the Tasman Sea to Easterm Australia (GMT+10:00hrs). Two of us are in Melbourne.
Next would be Central Aust. (GMT+9:30hrs).
Then Singapore (GMT+8:00hrs).
The guys in the UK and Western Europe would be next (GMT).
Following this are the guys on the eastern seaboard of the States(GMT-5:00hrs), Mexico and Central USA (GMT-6:00), etc. etc.

As you can see, there might be problems with multiple players in the same time zone ie. Melbourne, UK, eastern USA.

You know where you are!

PS: Brisbane and Sydney are in the same time zone, although Queenslanders are a little slow. The futher north you travel in Australia the dumber the people become, it's a well known fact.

Last edited by rooboy; June 28, 2001 at 12:27.
Old June 28, 2001, 17:02   #137
Sean
Prince

oohhh-aahhh, A screenshot of our very own game.

Good to finally have a turn played after such a long wait.
That settler is meant for that southern chain of islands, who ever is playing now-me_irate. And I assume we are actually trapped on our continental shelf until we get better ships. Its 'bout time we got an academy, God knows our science has been slow enough..

Thanks for remembering where the international date line starts Roo-boy, and my extreme proximity to it.

BTW,

The futher north you travel in Australia the dumber the people become, it's a well known fact.

Funny cause it is true.

Sean.
Old June 28, 2001, 17:31   #138
me_irate
Warlord

The great merchant Bob on his trading tour of the world stumbles upon the lowly Australians. With no one willing to take control over these people (because of the fear of dieing of bordom. Bob is the only one up for the task, simply because he hopes to make these people a valuable part of his trading network.

620 He contemplates his decisions, but realizing their is nothing to do decides to wait until later.

so in the year 640 bob relizing you cant very well trade without roads, starts one between the capital and Xperland.

680 we hear rumers that the evil ZULU are about to finish the rather pathetic wonder of the forbiden city. The hapiness of the empire raises considerably while our people laugh at their useless wonder.

700 theature undertaken in Aaagh!

720 We discovered the great tech of Monarchy and a revolution is undertaken. We also begin to research stone working.

740 As we come out of anarchy, bob is Named the first monarch of Australia, and we reseive word that those zulus completed the forbiden city. Which is fine by us because we never wanted to go thier anyway.

760 A grand parade as snorf grows to the grand size of 100,000 people.

780 Road of the treachorus terrain to Xperland is finally complete. Bob has the settlers depart on the western end of the small island chain to the south. he has chosen this spot because the rest of the island is covered with barbarians.

800 bob's island cotage founded on the western end of the chain of islands. Trade routes reorganized to supply bobs cottage and recieve a much higher amount of gold per good.

810 stone working discovered, geometry which is on our way to our goal of better ships, is undertaken. Bob quitly leaves his trading empire to his worthy successor bob II. bob I retires to his island cottage to rest and play shufleboard.

watch out for barb on the eastern end of island i rushed hoplit might want to rush archer just incase, those warriors can get really lucky sometimes.
Old June 28, 2001, 18:43   #139
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rooboy
PS: Brisbane and Sydney are in the same time zone, although Queenslanders are a little slow. The futher north you travel in Australia the dumber the people become, it's a well known fact.
This is sooooooooooo true!
Old June 28, 2001, 19:10   #140
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Hah! Great Bob can you tell us where some other countries are?

I bags Black!

I'd probably play 8pm GMT
A map: Just take a screenshot or see if right clicking works
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	699  
Old June 28, 2001, 20:39   #141
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rooboy
The futher north you travel in Australia the dumber the people become, it's a well known fact.
Hey, does this mean that the people in Tasmania are kind of like Rocket Scientists?
Old June 28, 2001, 20:48   #142
Skeeve
Prince

Nice World Map DK.

I guess we could deal with the problem of multiple people in the same time zone by excluding some from a given game. After all - if it works; 24 turns in 24 hours; each game should go rather fast enough.

Hey, if nothing else, I've enjoyed contemplating this world-wide synchronized venture!

- Skeeve
Old June 28, 2001, 21:49   #143
me_irate
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve

I guess we could deal with the problem of multiple people in the same time zone by excluding some from a given game. After all - if it works; 24 turns in 24 hours; each game should go rather fast enough.

- Skeeve

The only prob i see with that is most people who play are in north america. And since thier are only 4 timezones as i recall, that would severely limit the pool from which players come from.

I think that this time zone succession is a great idea. But if you start one i doubt i would play simply because my schedule varies to much and i never know when i will get time to play.
Old June 28, 2001, 23:02   #144
rooboy
Chieftain

Regarding Tasmanians being rocket scientists, as everyone knows, two heads are better than one!!!

Nice place though.

Last edited by rooboy; June 28, 2001 at 23:09.
Old June 28, 2001, 23:32   #145
rooboy
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by me_irate

The only prob i see with that is most people who play are in north america. And since thier are only 4 timezones as i recall, that would severely limit the pool from which players come from.
Another point to add is most of you yanks are on the east coast. And all the poms are in the same time zone. And to further complicate matters most of us Aussies live in Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). And I think Mexico is in the same time zone as Central USA. Thank god for the Kiwi and the dude from Singapore.
Old June 28, 2001, 23:40   #146
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I'd like to take this time to further complicate any ideas about the time zone sucession game idea. I live in the Central USA time zone, which is the time zone where that person from Mexico probably is.

P.S. I will play my turns within 60 minutes from now.
Old June 29, 2001, 00:15   #147
Jonny

This is the transcript of the reign of Jonny II.

AD 810 - Jonny II comes to power. Nothing else of importance happens.

AD 820 - Moving units.

AD 830 - In a freak military blunder, our phalanx in Bob's Island Cottage is destroyed by a barbarian warrior. Bob's Island Cottage is destroyed and makes Jonny II very mad. All trade routes going to there were moved to go to Rooville.

AD 840 - Unit moving.

AD 850 - More carvans built. Darkabode builds a bazaar.

AD 860 - Unit moving. Snorf builds City Walls.

AD 870 - All cities without an academy are set to build one to increase the science rate.

AD 880 - Unit moving.

AD 890 - Aaagh! builds ballista towers.

AD 900 -City of New South Jonnyopolis built in the southern island. Another coracle brings a hoplite and one is rush bought there. All trade items are sent there. Snorf - Rooville road finished. At the groundbreaking for New South Jonnyopolis, Jonny II is struck on the head with a shovel and dies.

P.S. The barbarians seem to keep regenerating on the south island. We should get to hullmaking ASAP to find new territory.

Jonny
Old June 29, 2001, 10:42   #148
Mokael
Chieftain

hey. this is kinds off topic, but

We have another SG sitting around - it's another version of SG 2, The Mighty Irish. The team that used to play it kind of fell apart. Only two people left - Murry and I.

So, if someone wants to gives us a hand in finishing it up, either e-mail me at Mokael@aol.com, or post your e-mail address in our "Succession #2: the Mighty Irish" thread. Here's the specs of the game: Very Hard, 8 Civs, Huge map, Irish, Earth-world random, Patch but no Mods. We are at 400 AD, and are in complete control of our continent (Greeks were defeated). We also have a good idea where everybody else is at. Map can be found on the 3rd page of the thread.

thanks,

Mok
Old June 29, 2001, 15:56   #149
Skeeve
Prince

Notice:

I've asked Mokael to run this present Succession Game (Game 3) during the week of July 15th as I will be away on Vacation.

I'm hoping to get one more turn in before then, so maybe I won't have to be skipped. But if I'm skipped, then I'm skipped. Just call my reign as "Skeeve the Absent".

Alternatively, Mokael could play my turn for me if it comes up, since he's not currently a player for Game 3.

Mokael, if you agree, then when the time comes closer just give the last player your e-mail address. (I'd be curious to see how you work my substitution into the storyline!)

- Skeeve
Old June 29, 2001, 23:38   #150
me_irate
Warlord

Nooo my island cotage I have a wierd fealing that bob will come out of retirement soon (my next turn) and build a NEW and improved island cottage.