Old May 25, 2001, 16:35   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Reminder on Firaxis' promise
Here was the quote from the Firaxis site (which, imo, is the single greatest statement that they could have ever made)...

Quote:
we're committed to the scenario/mod community, and we realize that the ability to create diverse, interesting scenarios is one of the major reasons for Civilization II's enduring popularity.
If Firaxis holds to their stated promise, shouldn't this answer any concerns regarding customizing civs/units/maps/etc.?
Old May 25, 2001, 17:49   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 05:22
In the same light, when Sim Golf first was announced Sid said something about how Firaxis is intrigued by the way Maxis has kindled communities online. He of course is getting help from them on Sim Golf but may be he is there to learn some new tricks and get ready for Civ III.

Wouldn't it be great if Sim Golf was simply a profitable ploy for Firaxis to learn how to kindle game communities online?
Old July 24, 2001, 10:13   #3
Steve Clark
King

I bump this up again to remind Firaxis (and Apolytoners) of their promise. Nothing else matters as much, imo.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:45   #4
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 12:22
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Wouldn't it be great if Sim Golf was simply a profitable ploy for Firaxis to learn how to kindle game communities online?
Well, there is one online community they are pissing off big time in the process - Apolytoners
Old July 24, 2001, 11:33   #5
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 11:22
They have made a lot of promises along the way.

The most notable is "We want to make this the best civ experience ever!" Talk about getting high expectations...
Old July 24, 2001, 12:04   #6
death_head
Prince

What exactly do you expect them to do? They're not going to be pessimistic about their game!

Firaxis: Hopefully, this will be better then Civ2, but it is a bit questionable.
Old July 24, 2001, 12:18   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 06:22
The fact that such a public comment was made is indeed good news. I trust Firaxis will work hard on that promise. I see them struggling on other promises, however, which might explain the silence.

I've said this before, but not lately, so it bears repeating: While I'd love more info and interaction with Firaxis, as long as I could be assured things are going in the right direction, I could really care less about daily interactions, etc. The problem, however, is the direction of Civ 3 is rather tenous at this point. Let's hope the official site wows us all.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old July 24, 2001, 22:07   #8
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 02:22
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I've said this before, but not lately, so it bears repeating: While I'd love more info and interaction with Firaxis, as long as I could be assured things are going in the right direction, I could really care less about daily interactions, etc. The problem, however, is the direction of Civ 3 is rather tenous at this point. Let's hope the official site wows us all.
You know, I have this strange fantasy: That the game is progressing phenominally, they are adding new and immersive features, the "real " graphics and color scheme are getting nailed down, and a myriad of civilizations (complete with unique units for each) will be provided for our enjoyment.Thus, all this silence is a plot to not ruin the wonderous suprise of the masterpice that will be Sid Meier's Civilization III, for when the game is released a choir of angels will decend and....

but then again, it's just a fantasy and, in reality, I am disappointed at the lack of communication on Firaxis' part. Fortunately for me, I am keeping my expectations in check and hope for solid, yet decidedly different, sequal in the Civ series... while not holding my breath.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old July 25, 2001, 02:36   #9
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:22
Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

The most notable is "We want to make this the best civ experience ever!" Talk about getting high expectations...
CTP2 looked great, and when i bought it it was really bad, Civ 3 might look bad, but when it comes out the actuall gameplay might be the best civ experiance ever.
Old October 8, 2001, 15:41   #10
Steve Clark
King

With Civ3 now having gone gold, it is time again to bump this up so as to remind Firaxis of their quoted promise (from their old website). The question remains whether this promise will be kept in the initial release or some subsequent release(s). Either way it's fine, as long as the ability to create "diverse, interesting" scenarios will be there eventually.
Old October 8, 2001, 15:49   #11
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

If the famed "editor" is anything to go by...
Old October 8, 2001, 16:58   #12
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Re: Reminder on Firaxis' promise
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Here was the quote from the Firaxis site (which, imo, is the single greatest statement that they could have ever made)...
Quote:
we're committed to the scenario/mod community, and we realize that the ability to create diverse, interesting scenarios is one of the major reasons for Civilization II's enduring popularity.
If Firaxis holds to their stated promise, shouldn't this answer any concerns regarding customizing civs/units/maps/etc.?
And scripting language? And customized AI?
Old October 9, 2001, 17:11   #13
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Warm Beer
You know, I have this strange fantasy: That the game is progressing phenominally, they are adding new and immersive features, the "real " graphics and color scheme are getting nailed down, and a myriad of civilizations (complete with unique units for each) will be provided for our enjoyment.Thus, all this silence is a plot to not ruin the wonderous suprise of the masterpice that will be Sid Meier's Civilization III, for when the game is released a choir of angels will decend and....
As any dream die at dawn, I'm afraid lot of Civers dreams will die after the 30th october...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 9, 2001, 17:20   #14
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

As death_head already pointed out, what do you expect them to say?

How about: "Don't get your expectations too high, because we are trying but are not going to delay the game significantly if we can help it..."
Old October 9, 2001, 19:15   #15
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

As any dream die at dawn, I'm afraid lot of Civers dreams will die after the 30th october...
This is precisely why I always pick another game to look forward to as well if I really like one.....Games like Imperialism II, which I finally got the hang of yesterday after owning it for over a year. If a game fails to entertain sufficiently, there's always hope for something else.
Old October 9, 2001, 21:28   #16
Steve Clark
King

You're my friend, shadow. Imperialism II (along with Civ2) is my fall back game when/if Civ3 loses its lustre or great scenarios can't be made from it. Imp II, along with Pharaoh/Zeus will keep me very busy, even without Civ3.