Old May 22, 2000, 11:37   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
OCCing for the first time
Now I know why they call it a challenge. Since I couldn't play one of the comparison games, I created my own with 7 civs, raging hordes at deity using MGE. I used the world_small map, set up my 2 settlers in Brazil with 4 specials. However, there were the Aztecs blocking my way north and would be quite awhile before I could get a trireme. Therefore, with no early hut explorings, very little contact with other civs (and when I did, it hostile and enraged all of the time) and after 6 hours of not having a clue, it became a fight for survival. Not a good way for me to start OCCing (is that a word?).

After recollecting myself, I went back to the strategy guide and the logs. I thought maybe it was MGE, but I did recall a few of you winning OCC with MGE. So on a small, random map (with some customization), I made another attempt. What I did differently was to study the Fortnight #2 logs in detail, esp. from Graag, Sten and crow, who all played in MGE. Graag had a similar experience as me and gave up on the game. Sten's and crow's logs were really beneficial in that it taught me what priorities to focus on. But, the biggest help was in diplomacy. They proved that it can be accomplished successfully, esp. in the clue of saving up 4 techs to give them all at once. I am now just into AD and have made 2 alliances, received 4 maps and over 500 in tribute. Everyone is pretty much hostile most of the time, but I can keep them pacified enough to allow me to race up the tech tree (see, I can learn to play nice ).

Actually I do have one simple question. If you use WL to get to 21 under Republic, why get Refrig/Supermarket and improve the land later on? I didn't think there was a need to grow beyond 21.

Like Campo before me, getting into OCC for the first time is a daunting experience and with all of the posts here, they are all very helpful.
Old May 22, 2000, 11:59   #2
Oldman
Prince

Local Time: 23:35
Glad you're getting into it Steve!!!! My first proper occ game was OCC 7, where i landed on AC in 2032, about 130 years off the leader!?!? Why haven't you been playing the the comparison games? I find it's helpful if you play some of the older ones, you can have the results table and see how everyone else is doing in comparison!!!

The point of refridgeration is true, i've played the last 3 games and not researched it!!! i can only assume you would research it, if you had a terrible terrain, where the only way to get to size 21 was to reshape mountains or farm your land, so the farming is easier?!?!

You sound to be doing ok for mge, it sounds like you guys don't normally get much by the way of gifts!!!! luckily with 2.42 we got loads!!! almost 900 in one turn last game!!! ha ha!!! so it does make it harder for you!!
Old May 23, 2000, 00:47   #3
vik
Prince

Local Time: 23:35
Steve, welcome to the game. Nice weather lately, eh?

The point of refrigeration is to double-irrigate and increase the population. The extra population after size 21 would be used as scientists or tax-men, as needed. The theory here is that by going out of your way by researching a "Non-space flight" tech path, you can increase your science output later on.

As are most things in this game, it is a trade-off. There have been some games where I haven't researched it, but most games I am thankful to have 5-8 scientists helping out on discoveries. Does that answer the question?