Old April 18, 2000, 09:13   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The Eiffel tower is a worthless wonder. Even if you build it... keep a spotless reputation... and give things to AI civs, they will hate you anyway as the game progresses. Nothing you can do will stop them from creating all those wonderful deals to stop your aggression. Well wait, their is one thing you can do... you can stay weak and be lossing, and then they will like you
Old April 18, 2000, 11:07   #32
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
I thought the Eiffel Tower just affected your reputation and not how the AI felt about you. That is, even though your reputation might go from excellent to spotless the AI won't necessarially like you any better.

Or am I mistaken?
Old April 18, 2000, 11:21   #33
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

You are correct... The ET will bring you back to spotless, no matter how much of a scum you have been... and they will still hate you anyway

The only reason to build it is if you are going for score... And it only counts as building another wonder. Being spotless doesn't add anything
[This message has been edited by Ming (edited April 18, 2000).]
Old April 18, 2000, 11:46   #34
crowatbitemedotcom
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
D'oh! Yeah Ming, I guess that's what you said. Maybe I should read all the posts in a thread instead of just a few of them...
Old April 18, 2000, 18:04   #35
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks for the answers guys.

I pretty much have noticed those things on my own, but I wanted to be sure it's not just because I'm being really nasty to other civs.

Another war related question: I find joy in annoying AI's to the point when they declare war and then some storng ally of mine declares war for no reason. The problem is, that often the options for demanding tribute disappear, and very often, although AI is invading my territory, I do not have an option to ask him to leave. What's the deal with that?
I recall reading in some thread (maybe even this one :eek that when you can't make them leave, it's a sign of sneak attack coming. Have other people noticed it?
Old April 19, 2000, 00:38   #36
Ming
lifer
Retired

No problem... I just wanted to remind people. There was a point when people thought reputation actually affected the score.
Or, they thought that reputation could help their relations late in the game... wrong on both accounts.

Against the AI, reputation will matter early. They are more likely to deal with you. But later, if you are winning, it doesn't matter.

The only thing that reputation may matter to later in the game is that some think that if your reputation is spotless, The UN will allow you to continue "peace keeping" action more often if you are in Democracy. I have never seen proof of this, and I'm not sure it matters... but why take the chance
Old April 19, 2000, 13:02   #37
Ming
lifer
Retired

Sirotnikov...
A good ally might declare war on you when another civ does because they are also allied with them, or they have signed one of those anti agression pacts against you that you see all the time late in the game when you take the lead. Look at the diplo screen every turn or so and see what their attitude is toward you, and watch it get worse as the game progresses... even if they are your ally. You can give them stuff to move it up one or two... but it will go down a level every turn if you are winning. So unless you give them something EVERY TURN... it's a lossing proposition. Just screw em... they will hate you anyway.

Also, your options of what you can demand of other civs changes depending on what government you are in. For example, if you are in democracy or republic, you can no longer demand tribute.

I hope this helps
Old April 19, 2000, 15:08   #38
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No! No! No! You misunderstood!
I guess it's my fault. Reading my previous post I saw that I didn't express my self correctly.

I meant that my ally has declared war on the other agressor civ.

The question is, why do I often don't have the option to ask other civs to get out of my space? I read it's a sign of a sneak attack, is that true?

Sorry.
[This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited April 19, 2000).]
Old April 20, 2000, 00:43   #39
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
The Eifel Tower, HAH! I think the improvement in your reputation is highly overrated. But, it is there..... I took an enemy city that had the Eifel Tower. My reputation was Atrocious. The turn after my conquest of Eifel, I looked again at the Foreign Minister screen where power rating and reputation are shown, and my reputation had IMPROVED to Despicable. How wonderful.
Reputation, no problem; as Ming says, the AI all will hate you late in the game when you get powerful or ahead in science or money or number of cities anyway. So don't look at the chart that shows your reputation and you won't have to be concerned about it. he he he
Old April 26, 2000, 18:32   #40
SilverDragon

Thats right. If the insist you withdraw option is gone, get ready for a sneak attack. I have experienced this one time too many

------------------
Long live the Communists!
-- SilverDragon

Old April 26, 2000, 23:41   #41
Gene V
Settler

Local Time: 23:35
Hi,(I'm new and also a civaddict). Have you ever noticed that when the AI is in your zone of control, they refuse to talk to you claiming you're a chatterbox when you haven't spoken to them for 200 years.Yet you can't avoid them.

------------------
Gene
-Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god
Old May 22, 2000, 16:33   #42
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 23:35
Reputation is mega important, especially in the later years when diplomacy is an important institution.

If you are a Democracy or a Republic, your rep could save your ass, nations are more likely to make peace with you if you are a Dem or Rep. Also, when you are at war as a Rep or Dem your people get a bit angrier.

The Eiffel tower DOES help, it has helped me many times when I needed things to cool down. The easiest way to start war with the AI is to block them from where they want to go, they always attack, it has never failed with me at all.
Old May 22, 2000, 18:28   #43
SilverDragon

Diplomacy? What diplomacy? There is no diplomacy on diety. Proof: Play WWII as the French. Watch the Allies, Axis, Russians, and Spanish all gang up on you. Or how about the cold war scenario. Try playing as the western Europeans. In a few years the Americans will do a sneak attack on London with a nuke. The only diplomacy is the AIs banding together to kill you.
(Edited to make the following irrelevant comment)
The top post in this thread was my first ever. Gosh this thread has lasted for a long time.

[This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited May 22, 2000).]

Old May 22, 2000, 19:15   #44
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
On a related note: Versions make a difference... in the MGE version, the AI hostility occurs pretty quickly, whereas in earlier versions it might wait until you are "supreme" or maxing out the power graph to start the gang-up on the human trick. In the regular game I have found that if you are expecting early hostility, and defend competently, it actually makes the game much easier, because the AI wastes all of their shields producing and supporting ineffective military units instead of developing the necessary infrastructure to gain a tech advantage.

Most of the newer scenarios include language to either prevent changes in diplomacy, or reset the attitude every turn. Instructions for making these modifications yourself to existing scenarios can be found at the Apolyton hosted Scenario League.