Old May 26, 2001, 21:12   #1
manofthehour
Warlord

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nukes
One feature that I hope fraxis used is an auto launch for nukes. This would work so that you can aim a nuke at another country and if they use a nuklear strike against you your nukes would lanch before it was even your turn. This would also serve as a deterent becase you would not want to launch your nukes if you knew there were no ways around the consiquences.
Old May 26, 2001, 21:33   #2
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

This is excactly what was in CTP2. I only ever saw it in use in the deatente scenario. It would be good though in a game that you actually keep playing up to the modern age
Old May 26, 2001, 21:35   #3
manofthehour
Warlord

It would be nice if you and some allies could actually cordinate a nuclear strike also.
Old May 26, 2001, 21:47   #4
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Yeah I heard somewhere that they were going to improve the military diplomacy so you can actually say you bombard from the south and I'll attack from the north.
Old May 26, 2001, 23:04   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
gah.

mutual destruction again.

i just saw Pearl Harbor, great movie for those who haven't.

in it a Japanese officer is talking to a general (shogun) and says:

"The American fleet has been utterly crippled, congratulations general, you are truly a brilliant man"

to which the general replies:

"A brilliant man would have found a way not to fight a war"
Old May 27, 2001, 00:31   #6
Russian King
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:24
I wish you could also target units with nukes, and so that units can shake the nukes off by changing profiles in cities.
Old May 27, 2001, 00:37   #7
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

You should be able to target an empty tile on the map as well.
Old May 27, 2001, 00:55   #8
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 02:24
Maybe you could have many nukes waiting in something called a missle silo, and then you would aim it at some city or piece of land. Then, there would be auto launch, if that country attacks you or you good click something that would launch all your nukes at once!!!

Just some ideas, but that would make it more intersting. I can't wait until FIRAXIS tells us how the nuke system will work!!!
Old May 27, 2001, 00:58   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

whats wrong with nukes being units?

im not a CTP / SMAC junkie :-/
Old May 27, 2001, 04:20   #10
imgod2u
Chieftain

Pearl Harbor, that movie was so anti-Japanese. And it was the "Admiral" btw. All in all, it was a pretty good movie......despite Ben Afflect. That guy's such a queer.
Anyway, back to the nuke thing. I think that you'd first need to develope some kind of missle warning system before being able to have auto-launch. Also, you'd need to develope long-range ballistics (the first nuclear bombs had to be delivered via bombers).
Old May 27, 2001, 05:59   #11
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Quote:
I wish you could also target units with nukes, and so that units can shake the nukes off by changing profiles in cities.
and:

Quote:
You should be able to target an empty tile on the map as well.
I think this shoul only be possible for tactical nuclear weapons, or?
I mean, nobody in the real world would use an ICBM to wipe out enemy units, or to attack an empty area...
Old May 27, 2001, 09:01   #12
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 11:24
Yeah. It should be at least two different kinds of nuclear weapons:

1) "Hiroshima bomb" - dropped off bombers and having a limited range.

2) Intercontinental nukes.
Old May 27, 2001, 11:11   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

im not a CTP junkie, is the whole subs-carrying-nukes thing out?
Old May 27, 2001, 12:59   #14
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Yes you would want to target empty space many times.

The reason being a nuke could get two closeby cities in one shot or kill more stuff in one shot.
Old May 27, 2001, 13:35   #15
manofthehour
Warlord

Mabey that could be a new technology or wonder. The ability to find out wither or not a nuke had been launched at you and than respond. As for the nukes with the bombers you could auto order you bombers to launch there nukes.

Also for diplomacy I think you should be able to make a pact with 4 or more civs saying, if anyone one uses Nukes we will all declear war.
Old May 27, 2001, 14:13   #16
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by manofthehour
Mabey that could be a new technology or wonder. The ability to find out wither or not a nuke had been launched at you and than respond. As for the nukes with the bombers you could auto order you bombers to launch there nukes.

Also for diplomacy I think you should be able to make a pact with 4 or more civs saying, if anyone one uses Nukes we will all declear war.
I like your ideas!!!

I think that there should be different advances for nukes, like the first advance would require you to drop the nuke on them, and the second advance would be that you could launch a nuke from a nuclear silo or something for intercontinental warfare!!!
Old May 27, 2001, 14:58   #17
manofthehour
Warlord

In CTP2 so could threaten to 1.Embargo 2. Destroy a city 3. Declear war. If they have threat in CIV3 use Nukes should be a threat.
Old May 27, 2001, 15:28   #18
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by manofthehour
In CTP2 so could threaten to 1.Embargo 2. Destroy a city 3. Declear war. If they have threat in CIV3 use Nukes should be a threat.
I think they are considered a threat now!!!
Old May 27, 2001, 16:40   #19
SerapisIV
King

Nukes should definitely create more options in the diplomacy screen. Nukes are such unbalancing factors in the real world and in the game that diplomacy should be changed by their existence as well.
Old May 27, 2001, 18:31   #20
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Nukes in Space?? i.e. on satellites. Multiple nukes could be held up aimed at specific cities and fired as soon as the enemy nukes are fired this way you might destroy the enemy nuke while it's still in enemy space.
Also: Bushes SDI defense system. Anyone know what this actually is?

Or maybe The Civ3 teams gone into a flowery phase in life and have decided that nukes shouldn't be in the game.

Thermo nuclear warheads : Lets cause some earthquakes babee!!
Old May 27, 2001, 19:10   #21
java4me
Warlord

I can't wait unit FIRAXIS shows us the first pict of a city getting blown up by a nuclear warhead!!!
Old May 27, 2001, 19:37   #22
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Nuclear explosions should be BIG not as big as SMAC. Also the cracking world thing would be good. Maybe not great chasms appearring but maybe creating a crater. hills leveled , plains turned into deserts that sort of stuff. Cities should also lose a load of buildings and SDI defenses should only work 40 - 50% of the time.
Old May 28, 2001, 01:55   #23
manofthehour
Warlord

Well I think that there needs to be a defence to the nukes that you know will work. The explostions should show the destrution they cause. They should be able to change the squares aroung them.
Old May 28, 2001, 02:08   #24
java4me
Warlord

There should be a defense!!! But we won't know until FIRAXIS tells us!!!
Old May 28, 2001, 02:36   #25
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:24
It's too simple to build nukes - first you should have to build a silo in the city that you want to produce the nuke (oppose to manhatton project), then have access to plutoium; which should be rare (trade - last civ 3 update), and finally permission from the united nations (if avalible).

Defence Suggestion: SDI defece should provied 50% city defence, Anti Ballistic Missiles Base should provied an extra 50% and you could bargain gold amounts in exchange for a cease fire against the attack for a limited time.

Global Warming: Global warming should have a more intense affect on the terrain as meantioned before. As well as doing permanant damage to the city and destroying some buildings.

Finally spies should be abel to propose nuclear threats towards cities and demand large sums of money.
Old May 28, 2001, 13:01   #26
manofthehour
Warlord

Well I think that the United Nations should proved kinda of a blessing. If you don't get this blessing than other civs should be mad it you. Also I assuming that Nukes will need a good because all of them do. the good that the Nukes need would be quite the Monoply indeed.
Old May 28, 2001, 14:51   #27
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
It's too simple to build nukes - first you should have to build a silo in the city that you want to produce the nuke (oppose to manhatton project), then have access to plutoium; which should be rare (trade - last civ 3 update), and finally permission from the united nations (if avalible).

Defence Suggestion: SDI defece should provied 50% city defence, Anti Ballistic Missiles Base should provied an extra 50% and you could bargain gold amounts in exchange for a cease fire against the attack for a limited time.

Global Warming: Global warming should have a more intense affect on the terrain as meantioned before. As well as doing permanant damage to the city and destroying some buildings.

Finally spies should be abel to propose nuclear threats towards cities and demand large sums of money.
I like your ideas!!!

I think that plutonium should be a resource that you would need to make a nuclear warhead. Also, you would need to build a nuclear silo to hold the nuclear warhead in. Maybe you could be a nuclear silo outside your cities, but in your borders!!! (Kinda of like an Area 51)
Old May 28, 2001, 15:04   #28
Ghost:Rosenkrantz
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by java4me
I can't wait unit FIRAXIS shows us the first pict of a city getting blown up by a nuclear warhead!!!

Thats da reason we must always test them when playing!
Its da darka side of us men, seeing that nice gloomy mosharoom!

Just like him Truman and his friends... but they didn't play da CIV, they killed many children who is now in their grave and cannot play CIV3, how bad !

And if the USA-CCCP coldwar escalated, BOOM, you wouldn't sit here, Sid would be a gone... -you would never ever have played CIV , think about it!!!
Old May 28, 2001, 15:22   #29
manofthehour
Warlord

No one ever said they wanted 2 nuke the world. There is a diffrence.
Old May 28, 2001, 16:45   #30
java4me
Warlord

Maybe FIRAXIS will post something next month on nukes, since they haven't really mentioned anything about nukes yet!!!