Old May 22, 2000, 21:16   #1
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Who should i attack?
In my current game (emperor, small map,rh, 4 civs), i am mopping up the Persians, and trying to decide who to attack next.

The russians have the second largest empire (next to mine), but are last in tech. They have 12-14 cities, and the largest poplation (I'm playing ics, i have about 40 cities, but my pop is a bit smaller than the Russians). They have very few city walls, and a large amount of units.

My other choice to attack is the Aztecs. They have 4 or 5 large cities (all size 12 [no sanitation in this game yet]). All the cities are walled. They are ahead of the russians in techs, but still well behind me. They have few units to attack with.

Who should i go after? I hope i painted an accurate enough picture for you. I am leaning towards the russins, since all those cities can pump out a lot of science and make conquering them difficult in the future. But i am still not sure.. which is why i am asking all of you. Thanks to all who respond!

P.S. Thanks for helping me out, Ming!

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site
Old May 23, 2000, 07:47   #2
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:35
The Russians. You should be able to add a few captured cities to your 40, strengthening you for the final push against the Aztecs. If you have some spare cash, maybe you can bribe a few cities and add to your army as well...
Old May 23, 2000, 09:08   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:35
Go after the Russians now while they are weak. Since they have more cities, they are the real threat in the future. Plus, it should be easier to take their less defended cities now with what you have on the board.

The Aztecs will still be their later when you have better units for taking better defended cities. With less cities, you will be able to concentrate your forces better.
Old May 23, 2000, 23:31   #4
outerface
Settler

Local Time: 23:35
It depends on your happiness situation. If you could take a size 12 without anarchy problems and you have the dips/spies to sabotage the walls, I say go for the Aztecs. Otherwise the Russians seem like the better targets, as the walls just present to much of a problem. Besides, it's nice to have those big cities to set up trade routes with.
Old May 23, 2000, 23:54   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Die Ivan! Yeah, the Russians seem like the best choice. They're still weak now and you can grow fast at their expense, with relatively little skill, whereas against the Aztecs you'd need to organize a siege.
Old May 24, 2000, 03:00   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
I would make sure the Persians were destroyed first.Then let the Russians just edge ahead in population.Then sack their capitol and maybe get a civil war split
Old May 24, 2000, 17:58   #7
SilverDragon

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 05-24-2000 03:00 AM
I would make sure the Persians were destroyed first.Then let the Russians just edge ahead in population.Then sack their capitol and maybe get a civil war split

I agree

Old May 24, 2000, 18:52   #8
SandMonkey
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
I forgot to add a few things:

The Russians have GW and KRC, but the GW is expired.

I have Mike's Chapel, am currently building Bach's Cathedral, and i have the War Accademy. I have a bunch of other wonders, too, but those are the only relevent ones to my strategy.

The only problem with causing a schism is that I am by far the most powerful. I have about 30 vet Dragoons and 10 vet cannons, plus most of my cities have vet musketeers. The Russians only have a bunch of elephants to attack with.

I haven't gotten a chance to play this out yet... I'll try it out tonight by attacking the Russians.

------------------
SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
"It's just a flesh wound!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site
Old May 24, 2000, 19:19   #9
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 15:35
Are they AI or human? Against AI it is always a good idea to let them waste their units against your mountain fortress.
Old May 25, 2000, 00:48   #10
The Mad Viking
King

Local Time: 23:35
I presume there is no espionage, so it would take about 4 dips per city to sabotage the Aztec walls. So unless you can put vet cannons against muskets and/or pre-gunpowder units, I would go for the Russians.

I always check the Wonders menu to see if a city I can reach has a wonder I can really use. I find the Russians rarely complete Wonders.

I always consider geography as well - what is the most defensible area during and after conquest.