View Poll Results: For Villages or Against?
For Villages 7 26.92%
Against Villages 11 42.31%
Partial Implementation of Villages 4 15.38%
Undecided 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28, 2001, 19:15   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Villages
These should be unlike cities- but should be connected to the cities by special lines in the "Trade Menu" to show the trade routes they follow.

The Villages would be built on or near resources and automatically 'transport' the goods to the city when the 'prospectors' from the village acquire the resources.

The village would exist for only one purpose, to prospect and extract resources from the land and transport the resources back to its home city.

Picture-

****-Line of Trade-****
CITY-----------------Village

Villages would never grow past 5 civilians, and the civilians could only be put to work gathering resources.

... Perhaps in later ages the village would evolve into a Manufacturing Town (to be explained if people wish it to be explained... later)

(Idea courtesy of DarkCloud and "Colonization"-the game)
Old May 28, 2001, 19:21   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 05:26
Isn't this just the idea of colonies?

And if not may be I need more explanation before I vote.
Old May 28, 2001, 19:32   #3
MrFun
Emperor

From what I understand, it is just like the colonies Firaxis has already implemented.

The only difference he added was that villages would grow up to five citizens.

I voted against it.
Old May 28, 2001, 19:34   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:26
I can't see a village/town being more than one population point that works the tile it sits on, i.e. exactly the same as a colony except it harvests the normal tile resources as well as any special ones. I wouldn't mind colonies changing to haul normal resources but the way it currently works is fine too.
Old May 28, 2001, 22:31   #5
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

from what I gather, villages would be unlike colonies because they do not collect special resources like iron and whatnot, but regular resources like grassland and hills. Basicly I guess they would be like farming communities or manufacturing towns which could easily send the bulk of their products to a city for refinement and use. This idea sounds intreging, but I'm currently indifferent. Should Firaxis wish to use it, more power, if not, I could probably care less.

Ioanes
Old May 28, 2001, 22:54   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:26
Just a few questions:

1. How are villages different from colonies?
2. How does a player form villages?
3. Does a village grow like a city? If so, why the artificial distinction?
Old May 29, 2001, 02:28   #7
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:26
Take a look at Firaxis' last update, they got the same idea and created colonies to reach reasources outside of the cities border.
Old May 29, 2001, 08:43   #8
SerapisIV
King

Why have bastardized cities? I say keep it simple, just cities. The trade benefit is handled already by colonies, as explained by Firaxis' tutorial. Unless I'm reading the idea wrong, I can't find a difference between Firaxis' colonies and your villages.
Old May 29, 2001, 14:51   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:26
Oh, I voted without reading the first post. I thought it would be about goodie huts.

Sorry, but I change my vote from 'Partial Implentation' to 'Contra'.
Old May 29, 2001, 18:38   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

* These villages would harvest resources bordering the tile that the village is built upon.

* The village grows a population point when its harvesting percentage is at 50%.
-The harvesting percentage increases when your people are happy and pay no taxes or produce science, but receive luxuries.

-Villages are formed on any terrain type, excluding wastelands and ice types. They are formed when you move an army unit onto a land and select, "form village". When you form a village, the happiness in the city closest to the village is decreased by 10% to reflect the amount that the village must increase its taxes to support the resource-producing villages.

On #1- I don't know how Firaxis is implementing colonies.
Old May 29, 2001, 18:58   #11
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Colonies are formed by workers. Technicly they aren't colonies in the sense we usually think of colonies. These are basicly work colonies for your people outside of your borders. Not colonies that actually become cities, like Greek colonies and such.

Anyway, the village idea would be great for 'retiring' soldiers. I guess you could call them 'basterdised' cities, but hey, why not? Their sole purpose would be to support city cities with food or resources, so big cities could actually have factories even when surrounded by grassland and few hills or forests, like it often is in real life. However the implimentation and confusion on the issue could become great, and if its not implimented, I could care less. I'm still nuetral, though I'd love to argue for them.

Ioanes
Old June 3, 2001, 13:06   #12
DarkCloud
staff

Any more debate on this subject?