Old May 29, 2001, 18:48   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ4
Will we be able to keep this forum and merely rename it Civ4 suggestions?

Should we?

I vote that we should.
Old May 29, 2001, 18:51   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 05:28
Yeah -- this is sooooo important at THIS point of time.

Old May 29, 2001, 19:50   #3
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 11:28
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Yeah -- this is sooooo important at THIS point of time.

Well: Good strategists must think ahead .
I cast my vote with Darkcloud.
Old May 29, 2001, 21:32   #4
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
No, don't be silly!! Civ4 will never happen....do you know why?

Because civ3 is going to so amazingly good that no new civ games will ever be needed!! Right, guys?
Old May 29, 2001, 22:23   #5
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 15:58
if it becomes the best civ game ever then you can bet your balls that there will be a civ4 but I can't be so sure if civ3 turns up really ****ty....like palying golf or something..ahm..ahm

but if not by firaxis it will show itself up in some other name by some other company.... so don't you worry about it.
Old May 29, 2001, 22:25   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 12:28
I was just thinking of how long civ 3 will «last» taking into consideration the previous editions and other games.

I think for the game to last eons it really must be highly customisable. You must be able to EASILY customize and create really different senarios, create whole new civs etc

It also must have a kick ass multiplayer capability. Not like in Civ 2 that you play multiplayer despite being a chore and slooooow because the game is so great.
Old May 30, 2001, 05:21   #7
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Civ IIII

why not,

in 5 to 10 yrs time i am sure there will be civ IIII.

so discussion, of course, we should start a new forum now, just to keep ahead of the game

lets have the first civ IV forum on the net.
Old May 30, 2001, 05:48   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

No matter how good Civ III is, we already know that some popular items on the wishlist are being left out. Once we have played Civ III for some time we will have (many different) opinions of whether they are still desirable. I know Civ III won't have enough internal events for my liking, preferring to concentrate on the Civ to Civ relationships. There will always be a justifiable reason to create a new Civ style game. It will depend whether the people holding the rights to the game licence choose to do so.
Old May 30, 2001, 06:01   #9
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

I absolutely agree. As soon as Civ3 is out we should have a Civ IV forum here, compiling a new wish list right away. We should archive the Civ3 suggestions though and having a new forum
Old May 30, 2001, 06:41   #10
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
I think for the game to last eons it really must be highly customisable.
Chess is a game that has been around for eons and it's not really customisable. A good game idea is the most important factor. Civ is a good game idea and it's all down to how the chaps uses this legacy. Look at Pirates! for example, that game is still enjoyable after such a long times. Adding a lot of customisable stuff will not mean a damn **** if the game itself isn't good enough.
Old May 30, 2001, 07:14   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Civ V
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Should we?

I vote that we should.
why don't be even more ahead and start a Civ V forum?

Sorry!!!! Couldn't resist!!!!!!

Oh ,and what about Civ VI..........
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 30, 2001, 12:46   #12
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
I absolut++++agree. As soon as Civ3 is out we should have a Civ IV forum here, compiling a new wish list right away. We should archive the Civ3 suggestions though and having a new forum

Exactly!!!!

It will be easier to make a good 'list' if we have a big head start, and also, if we give it to them before they have even started thinking about civ4, the ideas have a better chance of making it in.

OFFICIAL CIV4 - IDEA NO. 1
Has anyone ever played Shogun: Total War? Well, if you have, you know that there are two parts to it - a strategy map and a battle screen. The turn-based strategy map is nothing compared to civ, and it is not meant to be. But once you attack someone, the battle screen comes up. It is full-screen 3-D rendered map of the battlefield. If you are defending, you can place your troops anywhere on your side of the field before the battle starts. If you are attacking, you can only place them in formation. Anyway, you command the troops that you brought into the battle strategically (rts style) in order to defeat the enemy (believe me, its much more strategy than any other rts game. You can defeat armies of much greater size than yourself if you plan well). It is much more realistic and brings a new level of skill into the game. I believe that maybe it doesn't have to be so in-depth, but that you should be able to have some kind of real-time control over your units in battle in civ4.
*note - all of this can be automized in shogun, but sice the strat map sux, its what makes the game fun. In civ4 it should obviously be optional for people who just hate (or suck at) rts combat
Old May 30, 2001, 14:46   #13
Ralf
King

Re: Civ4
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Should we?

I vote that we should.
Why Civ-4? After SMAC we got the beefed-up Alien crossfire addon (which contained a whole lot more then traditional Civ-2 scenario-packages). If only Civ-3 sells as expected, Im sure that we can continue debating suggestions for the extended & enhanced Civ-3 add-on.
Old May 30, 2001, 15:44   #14
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

2OneFootInTheGrave

There will never be a CivIIII. I can bet my life on it. You know why? Because there is no roman number such as IIII, its IV
Old May 30, 2001, 16:11   #15
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
2OneFootInTheGrave

There will never be a CivIIII. I can bet my life on it. You know why? Because there is no roman number such as IIII, its IV

Well actually on some 1940's clocks in my grandmothers house, you have IIII, instead of IV. LOL
Old May 30, 2001, 16:21   #16
bagdar
Warlord

Same thing on my watch
to exchange knowledge with us?'^
_'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
_'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'
Old May 30, 2001, 17:44   #17
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Well actually on some 1940's clocks in my grandmothers house, you have IIII, instead of IV. LOL
Actually on roman inscriptions they very often put IIII instead of IV.
Old May 30, 2001, 18:02   #18
dainbramaged13
King

so everyone wants to respond and debate a joke instead of evaluating my suggestion?

*whimper*

jk idont care
Old May 30, 2001, 18:19   #19
imgod2u
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:28
I heard this was the last Civilization game Sid Meier's gonna be making. Supposedly, it's gonna be the "ultimate" civilization game. So I doubt there will be a Civ 4. And even if it were, it probably won't be very good. For those who watch Star Trek, Civ 4 will probably be the Voyager of Civilizations.
Old May 30, 2001, 18:44   #20
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

the world is crumbling around me!! No more civ games from Sid are you sure He's not making any more? Maybe He's going to take up golf.
Old May 30, 2001, 18:44   #21
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by imgod2u
I heard this was the last Civilization game Sid Meier's gonna be making. Supposedly, it's gonna be the "ultimate" civilization game. So I doubt there will be a Civ 4. And even if it were, it probably won't be very good. For those who watch Star Trek, Civ 4 will probably be the Voyager of Civilizations.
If it's the Voyager of Civilizations, we have hope, there's a new Star Trek show coming out in the Fall, Scott Bakula is the Captain.

Where did you hear that this was the last Sid Meier Civ game? He's not old yet, he's got at least 30 more years of game designing before he throws in the towel, unless he does a Gary Larsen and just gets tired of the grind. God I hope that doesn't happen.
Old May 30, 2001, 18:52   #22
dainbramaged13
King

hes probly tired of making the same old same old turn-based civ-type games. after all hes already made 4!

He's probably really bored of the concept! why would he want to keep churning out the same stuff over and over again? we obviously apreciate it as different and wonderful, but to him its still a lot of the same type of code and stuff...
Old May 30, 2001, 19:00   #23
SerapisIV
King

Really though, where was this story from? I don't believe it. Getting tired of a topic is one thing, but give it time. It might be a 10 year wait, but I'm sure we'll see another Civ game. Whether SId Meier's name is attached is debatable, but don't forget, unfortunately Sid doesn't own the Civ franchise name, he does in my mind, but try and tell lawyers that. Jeez, even CTP had the Civ name, blasphemy if you ask me.
Old May 30, 2001, 22:40   #24
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 03:28
Don't worry, there will be add-ons, and addons, and add-ons posing as new games, and copycats, and so forth.
there will be another Ctp clone, which tries to be civ4, and doesn't make it. maybe it will have an unsupported sequel, too.

Finally, someone will hunt sid down wherever he is in 4 years, and say "will you PLEASE take the helm of civ4? I promise I won't screw you like those other guys did last time. no, really.

Apolyton will own the net by then, all of us who were here when civ3 came out will talk about the great times when Paul wrote the OCC guide, all the fun things we used to do in civ2. some of the old toothless fellows will reminisce about that phalanx killing a bttleship in civ1, back when there was no scenario editor, and generally on how much we love civ3.
but now its time for something new.
We will of course make another LIST, which will run longer than the OJ trial transcripts, or the clinton ones, and we will have sequels regularly.

By the time civ4 comes out in 2007 (3 years after sid agrees), we will all have chewed our fingernails to the wrist in anticipation.

in short, nothing of substance will be different from this time
Old May 30, 2001, 23:21   #25
me_irate
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by imgod2u
Actually i dont believe that he is making this game. it might have his name on it, and he plays it to give suggestions, but i dont think he is the one making it.
Old May 31, 2001, 00:35   #26
MrFun
Emperor

I have to go with me_irate on that one.

If I remember correctly, Sid Meier is only playtesting and making important suggestions to the programmers and designers.
Old May 31, 2001, 14:21   #27
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:28
In a way all the suggestions were making right now would have to go on Civ 4 because I don't think too many new things are going to be implemented. I don't care though they're still fun to make and read.
Old May 31, 2001, 14:33   #28
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Well, even if there's going to be CIV 4, it's not the correct time to open a suggestion forum on it already... there will be one here, but not yet... give it time, DC!
Old May 31, 2001, 14:37   #29
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

There will be new versions of civ for a long time. People will always want something better. I can imagine, years from now, "What? Only 2000 things the AI can say in diplomacy? This is an outrage!!"

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 31, 2001, 14:41   #30
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

LOL yeah, the demands have increased and always will... well, that's the c(o)urse of time...