Old May 29, 2001, 23:52   #1
AzNtoccata
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy Model
I think instead of treaty options, I believe that there should be no preset treaty. All treaties should be customizable. The format should be a step-be-step process. For example, I want to negotiate a treaty with nation X.
First, the diplomacy menu would ask me

-what type of treaty (alliance, peace, cease-fire)

-military restrictions (max # of units that may trespass the territory, or maybe how many turns a nation may bend the rules) Note: I think it should be changed so that this only applies to units that are "caught" by either units or entering city radius.

-economic relations (loose, weak, strong etc. could possibly be more detailed). This may fit in with the new trade system

-science (loose, weak, strong etc.). This could boost both sides science rate, but would boost more for the less advanced nation.

-other requests or offers (a number of advances or bundle of cash at signing of the treaty, or a payment at set rate).

Say I want a peace treaty that allows only 3 units to trespass and any increase would allow me to declare war. I would like strong economic relations (large population) but weak scientific relations (less advanced than me, more advantage to them). I would give extra 500 gold for them to sign it.

However, the disagree on the weak science term and would like to offer 300 cash every few turns. I then either accept or counter. THis goes on and on until both sides or satisfied. ALong the way, you can threaten or bully them into agreeing.

Also: there should be arms reduction treaties, such as ones for mass-destruction weapons, limits on tanks, airplanes, or battleships.

Treaties should be very customizable, but of course would require a STRONG ai.
Old May 30, 2001, 00:39   #2
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
that, plus don't take away the conversational question/statement response type model that existed in civ2, and even to a much better extent in SMAC. . that's a huge plus to atmosphere.

numbers and statistics are the guts, the way things work, but when you add atmosphere on top of a working model with all the technical frills, THAT's what makes it a good game.

-theonion.com