Old May 31, 2001, 19:42   #1
Bruce
Settler

Local Time: 10:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ2 newcomer
Hello folks

Just purchased Test of Time since I could not find original Civ2. It said on box that the original Civ2 is included along with the sci fi and fantasy games. I have never played Civ2 and wanted to know from knowledgeable people, Can in fact you play the original Civ2 in Test of Time?? Thanks much.
Old May 31, 2001, 21:12   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Welcome to Apolyton, Bruce!

The answer to your question is...yes and no.

In terms of game play, goals, and the assorted strategic and tactical issues, the answer is yes--there is nearly no difference from the original Civ2 (I should note that the AI is considered more 'bloodthirsty' than the original, but that dosen't really have that much of an impact).

In terms of graphics, and the lack of certain 'extras'--wonder movies, the high council, and throne room spring immediately to mind--there is a noticeable difference.

As for myself, I play both...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 31, 2001, 21:23   #3
Bruce
Settler

Thanks Mad Monk for reply. This game seems very intimating though as I have no idea what I'm doing!!
Old May 31, 2001, 22:00   #4
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Wow that's rare a civ2 newcomer.

If you build a city and find out how to build units and buildings in it then the rest isn't too hard you just follow a path through the science tree. Go for things that sound good. Build a few more cities get control of your continent (kill kill kill!!) and you should be well on your way.
Old June 1, 2001, 03:56   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Welcome - we're a pretty friendly bunch - so as you hit problems just ask!
Old June 1, 2001, 06:00   #6
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 04:31
If you have any other questions regarding strategy, we shamelessly refer you to the Great Library, located in the Civ2-Strategy Forum. Edit: Here's the link: click here

BTW- SG, would it be possible for us to have a backup of the GL somewhere in case Apolyton is down? Once I get out of school for the summer, I'd probably be able to help out with that...
Old June 1, 2001, 06:45   #7
East Street Trader
Prince

Ummmm.

I have a suspicion that someone starting out on the game might find the Great Library material a bit mysterious.

Play for a while on the lowest level with the tutorial on. I predict you won't get through the game because once you get the hang of the basic management tools you'll want a bit more challenge and find the tutorial pop ups irritating. But they do get you started.

Once you get going try to play a game through to a conclusion. That can be a long process. Early moves are very quick (you have few cities (and their workers) to manage and few units to move. But later on you may have lots and each move takes quite a while.

But the point of playing right through is to start getting the hang of the overall objectives.

There are two distinct ways to win - by capturing (or destroying) all the cities of every other civ or by building and launching a spaceship and then sitting back for the time it takes the spaceship to get to Alpha Centauri. If it arrives before a space ship built by your rival civs then you win.

The game lets you play on after the space ship arrives in case you are a bloodthirsty guy and want to conquer everyone as well as winning by the space ship route but it stops computing a score after the space ship arrives.

When you've got as far as having played one or two games through to the end it is time (assuming you're hooked - and frankly you will be) to start working up strategies for doing all the things needful to achieve one or other of those objectives quicker and better.

You will also want to move up the difficulty levels. A lot of folk here play on deity (the top level) but some of us have played several hundred games. lacking that level of experience (aka madness) you can take a great deal of satisfaction in a win achieved on any level beyond, perhaps the very lowest.
Old June 1, 2001, 09:11   #8
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
I would agree with what the other fine players have said here, but also offer my own piece of advice:
Enjoy the game as a game, and don't get overly concerned with winning and losing.
You will learn all the tricks, and discover the tech paths that work best for you, only by doing.
At low levels, this game is forgiving of mistakes up to a point.
The first time I played civ-2, I lost! I didn't get to Alpha Centauri or conquer the world before time ran out.
However, I had a fantastic time, and enjoyed it immensely!

If you get stuck, or frustrated, come here and ask, as many of the fine players here will have the answer for you, but it's best to fly on your own, and then learn all the tricks that are here.

At least I think so.
Old June 1, 2001, 11:51   #9
Bruce
Settler

Thanks alot for all the encouragement and advice!! I'll keep on Civ'ing !!
Old June 1, 2001, 12:40   #10
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 11:31
Also, remember this:

If you start Civ'ing, you just can't stop Civ'ing.
Old June 1, 2001, 17:56   #11
Bohlen
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Juggler
Also, remember this:

If you start Civ'ing, you just can't stop Civ'ing.
You can say that again!

Just have fun. Your imagination will run wild with this game. Don't let all the "experts" tell you there is a correct way to play. There isn't. Having fun is what it is all about.
Old June 4, 2001, 00:33   #12
MBloomIII
Prince

Well, at least you bought Test of Time and not that other abomination. The only difference between ToT and Civ2 in terms of game play is the graphics. ToT has the cool icons that actually move and such. Plus the special terrains are animated as well. If you ever get to the point that you are interested in playing the Multi-Player games you may eventually need to purchase a version of Civ2, either the original Civ2 or, preferably, Civ2: Multi-Player Gold Edition (MGE). There is not much of an on-line MP presence for ToT. Almost everybody on this site/forum plays Civ2. I found both MGE and the original Civ2 at our local Target store. I think they run about $10.00. However, there is a rumor that a newer version, Civ3, will be released some day. At this point it is just a rumor.