Old June 6, 2000, 21:10   #1
granite00
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ai
We all complain about how lame the AI is. I was looking at the @terrain section of the rules.txt file. In version 2.42, the AI will irrigate plains while in despotism, but must wait until monarchy to irrigate grassland. I certainly don't irrigate in that order. Does this make sense? Has anyone altered this portion of the file to improve the AI's chances?
Old June 6, 2000, 21:19   #2
Black Bart

it does seem like they should irrigate grassland first. I'm no historian, I have no idea where or how the first irrigation started. Egypt maybe? But anyway, in terms of practicality, irrigating shielded grassland should come first (except maybe wheat or buffalo)

but I think the ai needs a lot more help than that.
I suppose I could have them improve all terrain types under despotism. That may help a bit. But in the higher levels they seem to cheat and improve land very fast.
[This message has been edited by Black Bart (edited June 06, 2000).]

Old June 6, 2000, 21:48   #3
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
The AI's farming tactic makes sense to me. You don't get a bonus from irrigated grasslands during anarchy and despotism--only after monarchy is established. But you do get the irrigation benefit of irrigated plains during despotism...and the little plains shield. I like irrigated plains after I first build a road.

Don't tell me I need a fix for V2.42.

Old June 6, 2000, 21:48   #4
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There is a good explanation for the AI not irrigating grassland untill monarchy. Under despotism, you won't get the extra food bonus. Any resource above two gets wasted due to the inneficiency that comes with despotic ruling. (Why work hard when somebody else is going to reap the benefits of your labour?). Plains will improve from 1 to 2 after irrigation under despotism, grassland will remain giving out 2 food. Not until you change to monarchy will you be able to harvest the third food.

------------------
Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
Old June 6, 2000, 21:50   #5
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Damn, Aurelius, you must have beaten me by seconds!!

------------------
Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
Old June 6, 2000, 21:59   #6
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
I see that. Happens a lot to me too
Old June 6, 2000, 23:14   #7
Black Bart

Interesting. It seems I learn something new everytime I come to these forums. And just think, I thought I knew everything about civ2.

Well I think I'm just starting major terrain improvements by the time I hit monarchy any, so not much change to my playing style. I'm usually expanding during despotism. I'll still go for the shielded grasslands first. Plains take too long to be productive. Only after supermarket, do they really become useful.

Old June 6, 2000, 23:52   #8
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
the ai is pathetic.I'm playing a solo deity game where I build no wonders.Its late 1500s and the 6 ai civs have built only 8 wonders and with only 5 cities I am #1 in all demographics cept pollution.Sometimes I think I never should have come to this site.

I've seen the ai irrigate desert before wheat.Go figure
Old June 7, 2000, 07:17   #9
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:36
What might be more interesting would be to make it harder for the AI to do *any* terrain improvements. Then they might actually build a few more cities instead of having their settlers wandering around irrigating tundra squares.
Old June 7, 2000, 11:52   #10
granite00
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:36
quote:

Originally posted by Aurelius on 06-06-2000 09:48 PM
...you do get the irrigation benefit of irrigated plains during despotism...and the little plains shield. I like irrigated plains after I first build a road.

Thanks. I learned something new again.