Old May 30, 2000, 05:39   #1
Oldman
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Books?
Have any of you guys ever baught a Civ 2 Strategy Manual? are they any good? i've no intention of buying one, but i always wanted to. Only my pocket money wouldn't allow it?!?!

Talking of books (Cunning link, while side stepping off topic!!) I actually have a half dozen book vouchers for amazon.co.uk, it's a nice deal where i can send a £5 voucher to a friend and if my friend uses it, amazon send me another one for myself!! So i thought i'd offer my friends at Apolyton them, unfortunately they are only valid at amazon.co.uk . Otherwise i would've sent them to friends abroad already!!! So if you're in the uk, or overseas but don't mind paying postage!!!! And haven't baught from amazon before, or have a 2nd e-mail that you haven't used at amazon (it's an e-mail based system!!), i'll send you a voucher. Just send me an e-mail and i'll give amazon your e-mail and they'll send you the voucher!!!

And (Stumbling back on topic-ish)if anyone happens to buy a Civ 2 strategy guide let me know what it's like and if there are any little hints that we've not bounced around here before!!!!

Sorry Ming!!!! But i mostly hang in Strategy and wanted to offer these guys the chance to get a free £5!!!
Old May 30, 2000, 09:38   #2
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
There is a strategy guide, but just checking in here every few weeks has been far more helpful.
Old May 30, 2000, 10:18   #3
Bohlen
Prince

Local Time: 18:37
Agreed. No book could ever compare to these threads.

------------------
Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
Old May 30, 2000, 14:51   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

SG (1) and I have trawled the UK and USA for a manual - no luck. Whilst you can learn "Everything you wanted to know about CIV 2, but were afraid to ask" here at Apolyton, we too would still like one for reference.

-------
SG (2)
Old May 30, 2000, 17:58   #5
granite00
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:37
SG,
Prima Publishing sells the Official Strategy Guide (ISBN 0-7615-0106-1). I have it and helped when I was starting out. I still refer to it now and then...the civilopedia isn't always clear.
http://www.primagames.com/guides/posg.php?ID=175

There is also and Advanced Strategies Guide (ISBN 0-7615-0917-8). Amazon still sells it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...295224-5542451
Old May 30, 2000, 18:38   #6
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
The Prima ToT Strategy Guide may be more readily available, and as an owner, I can tell you it is 99% Civ2 compatible. It is listed in the Apolyton Links & products directory under Civ2 books, from Amazon. Also through the main page Buying link from a variety of sources...IIRC.

I think they just added new screen shots and updated the layout. Most of the info is "spot-on" except for the tip to build Copernicus and Isaacs in different cities... D'oh! Guess they hadn't been keeping up with OCC before they published it!

I am not sure they have translated it from American into English yet, so it may be a triffle confusing for Liverpool lads.

Don't buy the Strategies and Secrets title that is available here at AL&PD. It was so wrong, I threw it away over a year ago, hopefully it has been recycled into newpaper.
Old May 30, 2000, 19:45   #7
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Official Strategy Guide's very handy, particularly if you're starting out. It delves into some of the practicalities and nuances where the manual doesn't. It also offers up all sorts of interesting trivia - for example, Brian Reynolds, the game's programmer (I think), always builds King Richard's Crusade when he plays. Or did.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old May 30, 2000, 20:28   #8
Black Bart

I have read the entire strategy guide. A friend of mine had it. I did find some useful tidbits. But nothing more than you would find here. Much of it was just going over stuff that was already in the manual. Although some of it is explained a little better. I found the info here to be much more useful. The strategy guide got me from warlord to prince. But tips here got me from prince to emporer and Diety.

Old May 30, 2000, 23:23   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Thanks for the ideas.

I know we were unable to buy the CIV 2 Advanced Strategy Guide - Amazon were out of stock. I will ask Trade Advisor SG(1) about the ToT edition. In my youth I watched "The Streets of San Francisco" on TV, so I might just understand the lingo in the book!

finbar - I always thought KRC was a non-wonder. However, in a recent game I had a few spare caravans, and built it in a high production city. 20 shields a turn is an ironclad every three goes! With research slowed down on a large map, in fundy, the wonder only expired towards the end of the game.

---------
SG (2)

Old June 8, 2000, 03:35   #10
tonic
King

I wonder if the collective wisdom culled from the thread, Distilled Civ Tips and Notes, (with acknowledgement to the great effort of inca911) might not serve as a worthwhile substitute.

BTW how goes the opus magnum, inca911?
Old June 8, 2000, 16:53   #11
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Scouses
In their adverts Gameplay.com say that if you buy their Civ II collector bundle they'll throw in a strategy guide. I tried to confirm it before I posted this but couldn't. £18 is quite alot for strategy guide if you've already got the Gold edition though.
Old June 8, 2000, 18:19   #12
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SG (2) - I hardly ever build KRC. The book didn't say why Brian Reynolds built it. Must've had his reasons.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old June 8, 2000, 18:35   #13
Black Bart

He must consider himself like King Richard

lately I've been building it. Mainly because I have the opportunity and no other wonders to build. Sometimes I'll have 6 or 7 cities building wonders. But Industrialization comes too quick after that. The one good thing is I can build all my city improvements there and be cranking out offensive units while my other cities are still catching up. But I still have to build a factory