Old June 5, 2001, 21:42   #31
Pilfur
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I dug this game out of my bottom desk drawer a few weeks back. Had never played the multiplayer and had no clue that places like this forum existed. Found this place through Game League (which I now have abosolutely no interest in).

Boink!

Pilfur
Old June 7, 2001, 10:49   #32
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Hey, you should try out WesW's MedPackII. It makes CTP2 what it should have been when Activision came out with it. It fixes most of the bad AI problems, and even adds some new concepts of it's own in such as Elite units and Militia. You can get it atWesW's site . Also, read all of the readme's because quite a bit has changed in the game because of the mod and you will be lost if you don't!!
Old June 7, 2001, 11:11   #33
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Boink

I haven't played in a long time, but I still check back here every few weeks to see if anything has changed. (like someone fixed the game)

The down side of being an eternal optimist.

I loved the game the first time I played it. But the second game highlighted all the problems. But if you think about it, I used to buy a lot of Fantasy/adventure/role playing games that were scripted. You only played them once and discarded or traded them. So just how much were we cheated?

RAH
Still feeling cheated.
Old June 7, 2001, 14:29   #34
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhuarc
Hey, you should try out WesW's MedPackII. It makes CTP2 what it should have been when Activision came out with it. It fixes most of the bad AI problems, and even adds some new concepts of it's own in such as Elite units and Militia. You can get it atWesW's site . Also, read all of the readme's because quite a bit has changed in the game because of the mod and you will be lost if you don't!!
...or Cradle (on hardest levels/Raging Hordes/8+ civs) and OCC

I hear a lot of people saying that they come over here in the hope to find something, but I hear no reports from them if they have actually tried what is here now.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old June 7, 2001, 16:04   #35
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I was going to try Wes's mod, but quite a few people posted that it didn't really make the AI that much harder.

And the Frenzy mod made them so aggressive that the AI forgot how to defend.

If I could find the right combo, I'd be willing to give it one more try. Except for the city happiness problems and the wussy AI, the game wasn't bad after loading the patch. BUT I really hated spending half my time starving/disbanding cities during the all out attack phases. That was the most ridiculous feature of the game. Do any of the mod packs deal with that, or is file editing the only option?

RAH
Old June 7, 2001, 17:09   #36
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:33
Wes spent months getting the game balance right, so most balance problems should be gone.
Old June 7, 2001, 17:16   #37
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Cradle uses AI Frenzy, but that can be disabled with a file edit if that is what you prefer (instructions contained in the readme). I would refer you to the readme for Cradle for an indepth breakdown of what I have attempted to do with the mod, and to the Cradle 1.1 thread in the Mod section for what has happened to me in the last two games I played. (although I used Frenzy in this Mod, I do not believe that the result of the game was due to Frenzy kicking in - Frenzy kicks in only if you are in a prolonged state of war with a civ, with multiple attacks, which wasn't the case in either of my games)

Use the settings that I talk about in my post too, or go with impossible

link to my site

http://www.mydocsonline.com
login: hexagonia
password: hextapul

All I can ask is that people give it a try...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old June 8, 2001, 01:04   #38
Frog_Gamer
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:33
Re: How many people still post here??
BOINK!!!

I am a new player of CTP2, and inspite of all the criticisms (which are due) I still have fun playing the game by setting my own standards to win

This forum is a lively and enjoyable reading ground, so please keep up the good work
Old June 8, 2001, 20:16   #39
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 10:33
I dont know I just play the original game with the patch (I think). I have Med Mod the bata version as a Scenario but I never play it.
I must have the most compatible system ever I have never had one bug from CTP2 (except for simple wave your mouse around a bit and wahay the pictures back... After Alt tabbing). Amazing!
Old June 11, 2001, 09:45   #40
Frog_Gamer
CTP2 Source Code Project
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I was going to try Wes's mod, but quite a few people posted that it didn't really make the AI that much harder.

RAH
Rah,

try MM2 that has just been put on the server for download. I tried this week-end and had lots of fun. Things aren't perfect but this is a long strecht in the rigth way. For outrigth war you get hit rapidely by enourmous costs, hence a comprise has to be achieved and therin lies the interest. I'm a science buf, so getting the most out of the tech tree is my kind of fun. I had a hard time with this, hence the challenge. Some people have been handing in reports of direct assaults from one of the AI that seem really thougth out, with multiple stacks strategy. Yes you read write!

Have fun

Old June 12, 2001, 03:59   #41
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Boink!

post count

Noooooo, I came back for Med Mod II
Old July 3, 2001, 18:17   #42
hander
Settler

Boink!!!

I just checking this forum from time to time, just to see if it's still alive
Old July 6, 2001, 03:44   #43
janilxx
Warlord

Local Time: 12:33
vacation!
Boink

I usually read only MedPackII threads and haven't seen this thread before.

But hey guys my vacation starts today!!!!!!! I have not been in vacation after 1994 could you believe that.

So I will not be here(in MedPackII threads) until july 30th but I hope I have some time to play in my vacation(if my wife and child lets me to)
Old July 11, 2001, 08:23   #44
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Tend to be here, at least the MedPack gives reasoning to.