Old June 10, 2000, 14:09   #1
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to handle 5 fronts all at once?
To descripe my problem; I have to hold 5 different fronts all at once. 3 on land but on different islands and 2 on the ocean. Normally that wouldn't be such a big problem, this time however it is. I'm the largest civ on the world, have the biggest army the world has ever seen and yet I am outnumbered at every front with at least 1 to 3. There will be no reinforcements any time soon and the way it looks three riflemen and one cavalary is all there is to fight the entire expeditionary celt invasion force. That would be 4 units against 12 to 18 after my last my estimates. And that's just on my most eastern island which I have only recently conquered from the Vikings so there no decent defenses yet implemented. My army has been transfered to fight the Vikings on another island towards the south-west but is unable to leave because of viking counterattacks. 8 units of cavalary are currently being shipped to the front to fight the celts but they will not arrive for another 3 or 4 turns by which the celts will have easily overmastered my defense.
And my humble fleet of 5 destroyers and 6 submarines is nowhere near to be seen for at least 10 turns if I hurry them over which would expose my ocean defenses foolishly.
All other forces are indefinitly stuck at where ever they are because my transporter fleet is too occupied with other tasks. Also it has only recently been torpedoed by enemy subs in which it sustained heavy loses of ships which leaves me with 7 transports for half the globe. All cities capable produce military and ships.
Any ideas on what to do?

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
Old June 10, 2000, 14:26   #2
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yeah, pillage the roads on selected fronts with damaged units and build fortresses on your side of the old road. Occupy the fortresses with offensive and defensive units. This will really slow the AI down and leave them vulnerable to your cannons and cavalry. AI uses a sitting duck strategy. Then pick the enemy you want to attack.

I never build ships if I can help it...just coastal fortress with rifleman.

A railroad connecting all cities is great for defense.

Road pillage is great in multifront wars.
Old June 10, 2000, 15:24   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
I think I would try for some ceasefires to consolidate and reinforce what I have gained then go back at em.Sounds like you only need 2-4 turns to reposition your forces.A ceasefire or 2 can buy you that time.
Old June 10, 2000, 17:28   #4
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Well, there wasn't much left of any kind of infrastucture after I had taken over the island from the Vikings...
I arranged for 2 ceasefires which gave me a few turns of time to group my forces.
Those ceasefires don't exist anymore by the way.
I managed to occupy the celtic forts with cavalary. Unfortunatly my forces arrived to late to prevent the loss of one town. Now they have Tactics, too. But the town was retaken and destroyed 2 turns later by counterattacks. But the island is now mine. I kicked them all off. While I was at it I decided to attack on 2 other fronts after a small built-up of forces. My subs sunk the entire egyptian fleet and thuse enabled me to begin my invasion of their homeland.
Basicly I now have 6 fronts to hold and there are 43 units of cavalary available for this. Still, I'm thinly streched...
However, thanks to my forced effort to industrialize I now have more cities that support my various war efforts. Just my money is very low; 62 Gold only.
Old June 10, 2000, 18:02   #5
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
Can you force a government that will allow you to force new ceacefires with 2 of your attackers?

Definately break the roads adjacent to your city square. That will stop most AI units at your front door. When you attack with city units, make sure to also stop them from going (G on the shield) to the square attacked (refortify them within the city before your turn ends).

Sell some city improvements to raise gold to defend your most vulnerable cities.

Empty your interior cities of units. Send them to the forward cities.

Just some ideas.
Old June 10, 2000, 19:11   #6
Hasdrubal
Prince

Perhaps your main goal should be to try and get a cease fire/peace with at least some of them. Then you can concentrate on the really stubbornly belligerent ones. Multiple fronts are a killer, especially on several islands or before railroads. Try and call some up (though you'll probably will only get a 'we've wasted enough time' response). Offer them what it takes, gifts, tribute, etc. If they refuse negotiations, build an empty city near the front, or remove all units from little cities. After the AI has conquered one of these cities, it will offer a cease fire. Accept it. You need some time and, more importantly, you need to be able to concentrate your efforts on fending off the others. Can't fight them all at once, if you're not well prepared.

------------------
Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
Old June 10, 2000, 20:13   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:37
What is your government? If you are fundy in the true sense (not just via SoL), you will find fanatics useful for rush-buying defenders.

When sending large overseas task forces, always try to include a caravan and a diplomat. Pop in the caravan, and sometimes you can afford to buy a threatening city.

A navy has a function for sinking ships, but it is more important to use your offensive boats to help with the destruction of coastal towns. Once you have the cities by the sea the AI navy disappears - as there is nowhere left to support it. I very seldom build subs as they cannot attack land. Without Magellan they never worth considering.

I have noticed a trick the AI plays when it "knows" your navy is about to attack a city. Very often it sends out an empty transport. Don't be diverted and use up your fire power on this vessel - go for a city. But always sink the loaded troop ships!
----------
SG (2)

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited June 10, 2000).]
Old June 11, 2000, 04:49   #8
Hendrik the Great
Prince

I think I should mention that I do have the United Nations. That is very helpfull in getting a ceasefire when I want one.
There are no more roads connecting my cities with enemy cities. I pillaged them all.
I wish I could empty my homeland cities of units. But the defense of my home island is already at its minimum. I cannot risk withdrawing more forces from it.

I have a ceasefire now with 2 civs again. Vikings and Egyptians. Since all those frontlines are all on different islands and and those there are no railroads it is very exausting to hold out. But I believe I can win a war of exaustion. The problem is, what then? I won't sell improvments. Everything I don't need I have sold anyway.

My government is Communism. I do not have SoL neither Fundamentalism. My spies are everywhere.
That caravan idea I must certainly try!
To attack units on land I am now building a battleships. Thanks to Magellans they are fast enough to get where they are needed soon.

Generally I think I can hold my fronts but it will be hard to move deeper into enemy territory.