Old June 9, 2000, 15:05   #31
vik
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Campo,

I emailed my section to Paul as well. If I were to edit yours, I would be focusing on format, wording, etc., rather than strategy. I prefer to let Paul hash out any strategy flaws that might be in your document.

What I did is a huge elaboration on the 18 steps above. In it, I tried to take care of explaining why you do those 18 steps, and I've also expanded past the mere discovery of Space Flight and tried to include strategies for building space ships on a low budget.

Really, Paul's guide as it stands now is perfectly acceptable and helpful to me, but I wanted to try and expand on the philosophy and reasoning behind why you do what you do in OCC.

Old June 9, 2000, 15:41   #32
Campo
Warlord

Local Time: 18:37
Sounds good. I think we've taken complimentary approaches, not duplicate ones.

My intent was simply to summarize Paul's strategy. I just wanted something short to use for quick guidance while playing a game. I completely omitted any explanations.

My goal was to have a quick reference for those recurrent moments when I had to choose the next tech to research or improvement to build.
Old June 9, 2000, 16:18   #33
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vik, you said that you mailed your section to me. Unfortunately I have not received it, so could you please send it again?
Old June 10, 2000, 00:15   #34
Campo
Warlord

Local Time: 18:37
Absolutely. I had been planning on filling in the gaps and then offering it to you, but since the topic came up now I figured I'd mention it. Feel free to send a copy to Vik for his suggestions too. I don't know if it's anything like what he had in mind.
Old June 10, 2000, 00:46   #35
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It just arrived in my mail, thank you.
Old June 10, 2000, 02:23   #36
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Vik, that looks very good. It's basically a strategy guide on its own, so it could very well replace my guide. It contains all the strategy I have written and expands a bit on it. There are some things I would add or change in it, but if it's ok with you I would like to use it as the next version of the strategy guide. You will of course be credited for editing and expanding the guide. Let me know if that's ok with you.
Old June 10, 2000, 16:11   #37
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I updated the OCC strategy guide with the new stuff Vik sent me. I edited it a bit here and there, but most of it is what Vik sent me. Let me know what you think of it.

I also added a reference table with a recommended chronological order of research and building. It will print on one page, so you can keep it next to your computer while playing OCC games.

It's not exactly what Campo sent me, but I thought this might work better. Feedback is appreciated.
Old June 11, 2000, 00:33   #38
vik
Prince

Paul,
Do with it what you please. I don't even need to be acknowledged. It's not a big deal.

In any editing you may choose to do, though, I would first like your attention to go towards any strategical fallacies that might be in there.

Also, being an American, I tend to have this unsubstantiated notion that everyone else understands the American version of English as well as I do. As a result, there may be some expressions or figures of speech that may sound akward -- go ahead and change these around. For example, I think I said in there at one point:
quote:

"...you won't have to spend a dime..."

I ought to know that a dime is not a universally accepted type of currency. Stuff like that, and anything else you see needs improving. Thanks.

Edit: I also like what I interpret Campo's idea to be. It seems like he's going for a table-format that includes units, structures, wonders, and technology. That sounds excellent!

[This message has been edited by vik (edited June 10, 2000).]
Old June 11, 2000, 14:53   #39
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

New thread started; please post OCC strategy guide feedback there.
Old June 12, 2000, 00:47   #40
tonic
King

Vik:

I agree an elaboration of the detailed mechanisms required to achieved the broad strategy set out by Paul (dare I say, Paulicy ) would be useful to less experienced OCCers (and indeed, civers at large). After playing through my 5th and most successful OCC today (OCC5) I realize how tough it is to translate into action the requirement for caravans/disbandable units and cash in the coffers (and net income) to achieve the rate of one SS part per turn in the endgame. I think a detailed presentation of the cash equation would be helpful eg the dynamics of rushbuying with a "starter" eg a small disbandable unit making the production box >0 and also when there is no alternative but to start from 0 having to pay the 2x cost penalty (which hurts even with incremental rushbuying).

Also specific examples of the TLS ratios at the critical points of the game (eg to effect WLTxDs, balance the perennial cash, happiness with the primary focus on science) would be helpful. In other words help and detailed tips in achieving the Paulicy.

Paul, I've posted my feedback to your new thread - once again great prompt work.
Old June 12, 2000, 00:56   #41
vik
Prince

Paul,

I checked out the Strategy Guide. I think it looks really good.

Third paragraph of section 2.4 has a typo. Should be "two" instead of "rwo" in the 3rd sentence. I don't doubt what I sent you probably had some errors in it.

One thing I learned reading your edits (actually 2 things): 32-shield base production yields 80 shields after the factory/power/manu plant? Wow. That's helpful, because I always just estimated. I figured 4 specials and two or three mined-hills ought to do it. I was just hoping for the best, and I usually got close to 90 shields this way. That will lessen the load on me.

But, when counting for 32 shields, it sounds like you are including an off-shore platform and railroads (even though these may not actually have been built yet). Wow, that's easy. 32 -- a number to remember.

I also came into some personal confusion on the order to build a university, bank, and Isaac's. I understand better, now.

I can't really fairly comment on the helpfulness of the table, because most of that stuff is in my memory. It seems useful, though, and the important thing is that new players have two ways in which to get help. Sometimes pictures/tables help more.

One thing I think we can add is some strategy on when exactly to deliver caravans. I thought of this after I emailed you my section. We say "deliver them as soon as possible" when in truth we know it might be more beneficial to wait one turn to deliver a caravan. This is if you are close to discovering the next technology, or if you happen to be in a period of anarchy while switching governments. We also should state the part about maximizing the arrow squares when it is delivered. Just some thoughts.

But again, looks great, although I am biased. heh heh.

Edit: Also suggest starting a new thread or posting to the OCC#10 or the OCC#11 thread to get a wider array of feedback.
[This message has been edited by vik (edited June 11, 2000).]