View Poll Results: Bring back Guerilla Warfare in Civ 3?
Yes 11 78.57%
No 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4, 2001, 02:22   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guerrila Warfare
To improve realism civ 3 should have Guerilla Warfare brough back, for those who don't know what it does: when a city gets taken over few guerilla troops apear near the city of the nation that owns the city. I'm surprised nobody has said anything about this before, or have they?
Old June 4, 2001, 02:41   #2
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 05:36
i agree alex14, the partizan definantly needs to make a reappearance in Civ3, SMAC lacked both partizans and the senate and i think it suffered because of this

however i think that the number of partizans that appear should be influenced by culture and nationality and reputation...for example a civ with a low culture, a horrible reputation that attacks a city with a different nationality should create many partizans, while a civ with similar nationality and a high culture and good reputation should create few if any partizans

i would also like to see partizans have a chance to appear if city remains in riots for more than one turn

and i mentioned partizans just a few days ago in my questions thread

Old June 4, 2001, 05:06   #3
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 10:36
In the Partisan Post, someone mentioned having the best of both worlds with Geurilla Warfare, and I agree. Partisans (and rebels), should exist as both discrete units and random, invisible acts of sabotage. Essentially, the higher the culture (and unhappiness) of a captured city, the higher the chance of successful acts of sabotage (damage/destruction of tile/city improvements, disruption of trade routes, damage to units, loss of resources and loss of income/production shields).
This base chance will be reduced by assimilation, making peace with the former cities owner, reducing the cities unhappiness and placing large numbers of garrison troops in and near the city!
There would also be an equal chance, each turn, of a geurilla or partisan unit popping up near the occupied city: These units would be able to attack units directly, pillage tile improvements, attack supply lines, build hidden bases and forts and even move in and attack the enemies own cities. These units could be attacked, but they should be like a "Stealth" unit (Subs, stealth bombers etc) in that they can make a single suprise attack without retaliation and, if they retreat, they become invisible unless a unit has a very high "detection rating"
If the city from which a Partisan originates ever comes back into the control of the original civ, there should be an option of the unit turning into an ordinary "Special Op" unit!
Note that, everything I'v said above should also happen if your own people become unhappy (as a result of a dictatorship etc.) except that these would be "Rebels" not Partisans!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but these things had to be said.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old June 4, 2001, 06:18   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:36
I would prefer national sentiment to be represented by unhappy faces requiring military suppression and reduced productivity (like the CtP crime percentage.) The problem with random acts of destruction inside the city is that those darn buildings take centuries to build in the Civ system. You can still be replacing one of many buildings the "patriots" destroyed turns and turns after the last one converted into being a model citizen. I really hope the new culture model does not go down that route. On the use of partisan units I am ambivalent. I rarely found them to be more than a minor nuisance.
Old June 4, 2001, 12:01   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:36
The partisan was far too powerful for the game.
It was a unit that could destroy a cannon unit and a dragoon in the same turn.

If it is included, it should be tuned down.
Old June 4, 2001, 13:19   #6
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:36
I found the partisan units simply annoying and unrealistic. Partisans don't exist as regiments and brigades that the Civ units abstractly represent.

In Civ3 we can use the culture idea. As regular army units are not very good at guerilla wars, why not for several turns following occupation of a city, units in the city and nearby become subject to random events of sabotage.

This would help simulate the ellusiveness of partisans, people that a brigade of tanks can't fight.

The more friendly units there are in a city radius, the less likely sabotage is, however the presence of an enemy civ units in the city radius makes the sabotage more frequent and damaging. Also infantry units, like alpine troops, could have greater pacification abilities, ie, lower sabotage rates.

Its an idea, hopefully not too late (probably) if people like it
Old June 4, 2001, 14:20   #7
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 04:36
If Civ3 has a realistic model for guerrilla warfare, GREAT, but the Partisan unit isn't it. The way they pop out of a newly captured city is particularly stupid and annoying.

I once captured a city and IIRC 9 of the desperate bastards took "to the hills." (The city was in the middle of Grassland, BTW.) Well, if they were so desperate, why weren't they helping in the defense of the city in the first place?

And how incredibly realistic. I'm sure you all remember how, when the Allies captured Paris in 1944, tens of thousands of German partisans took to the countryside, ignoring Allied zones of control but exerting their own. Right?

The Partisan should only drop dead.