Old June 11, 2000, 02:59   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How Odd! I've Run Into a Unit Wall
Everyone:

Just what the subject line indicates — I can no longer build anymore units in my current game. Apparently I've filled up the program's memory buffer in that area. Huh. It says to disband existing units in order to create anew. Gee, I hope the AI is similarly limited ... I suspect it is, since its turns are taking a lot less time now .

BTW, I'm playing the Macintosh version of Civ II and am using the "Northern Hemisphere" map, which I downloaded from Apolyton. Great map, BTW ... kudoes to its author!

CYBERAmazon

------------------
Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
Old June 11, 2000, 13:48   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
there is a limit but you have to have a ridiculously high amount of units present.Something like 1000+ total units.Thats all civs combined.
Old June 11, 2000, 15:20   #3
Andz83

Northern Hemisphere map? Do you mean that map with the North Pole and the northern Hemisphere surrounding it? North America is antipodic there, isn't it? I mean it's turned upside down, right? And Europe should be normal, is it?

Old June 11, 2000, 18:22   #4
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Smash:

I'll take your explanation for this little situation. Really, it's not that bad ... soon after gettting the message, the AI civs hammered themselves senseless and I joined the fray by wiping out the Roman Empire.

So the message box hasn't reared its ugly head since **EG**.

CYBERAmazon

Andz83:

Nope. Take the standard world map, blow up it by 3 or 4 times, then chop it off at equatorial Africa. That's the Northern Hemisphere map. I like it ... in fact, it's bordering on replacing my personalized "Large World" map as perennial favorite.

CYBERAmazon

------------------
Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
Old June 11, 2000, 23:38   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
CYBERAmazon.... just how good is that customized world map of yours?? i would be interested.... i love maps but don't play many for i am lazy
Old June 12, 2000, 17:27   #6
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

War4ever:

Personally, I think it's pretty good ... then again, that's just MHO . In actuality, I've greatly increased the the living space available to the civs by doing the following:

1. Making Greenland infinitely more hospitable by using a "pre-Ice Age" topography for it. The Celts and English definitely like to expand onto this piece of real estate ... along with Iceland.

2. Pretty much eliminated jungles and swamps, replacing them with forests. So Southeast Asia has forests now, not jungles/swamps (only swamps left are on the Mississippi River delta in North America).

3. Reduced desert squares a bit. This had made northern Africa a lot more habitable, which the Carthaginians and Egyptians love. The landscape now resembles northern Africa as it was 9,0000 to 12,000 years in the past — much more fertile with rivers through it. Deserts still abound in spots, though.

4. Slightly altered the starting locations of some civs, in order to give them a better chance at survival. Especially that of the Mongols, Sioux and Aztecs.

5. Australia is much more friendly now. I didn't locate any civs there (Japan or the English) because, well, it looked odd despite the colonial connection Australia had with Momma Britain .

Suffice to say, War4ever, the AI is a bit more challenging on this map because I've made it easier to survive (better land). The continental shapes remain the same, though.

CYBERAmazon

------------------