Old June 4, 2001, 13:09   #1
LodeRunner
Settler

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New resources popping up
Hello out there. I'm fairly new to this board. I've been lurking for a while now and got a lot of good information the game. Thanks to all. This is a great site!

I've searched through many of the messages here, but I haven't found anything on new resources. I've recently been playing a SP game with the Consciousness and by I'd say MY 2250 I had three or four new resources pop up in a relatively small land mass. I did accuire the Weather Paradigm and immediately started building condensors. My question is, when these resources pop up, is it a matter of random events or is it climatic changes due to my terraforming? Thanks in advance!
Old June 4, 2001, 13:25   #2
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Interesting question, I've always assumed that they were random occurances, but now that you bring it up, I have no good reason that I recall for that belief.

I can't say that I've noticed any particular pattern to the appearing or disappearing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were biased according to the game difficulty, one's ecological behavior and/or the game standings. That said, I think I might have noticed it if it seemed to be "out to get me" in this respect, so my guess is that it is simply random.
Old June 4, 2001, 13:43   #3
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 10:37
I for one think it's totally random. I've had some games where I never got any, and others where I got plenty. I've even had games where my enemies got loads. But I still think it's a random pattern.
Old June 4, 2001, 13:53   #4
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
Another vote that it is random-- or at least a pattern that is beyond my understanding. Sometimes resources appear and sometimes they peter out and I have never seen a pattern to either occurance.
Old June 4, 2001, 14:05   #5
LodeRunner
Settler

I guess I should just consider myself lucky then... It just seemed to occur so often in this game that I thought maybe it was something that I did (and would like to do again). I've only played a handfull of games and this is, by far, my best outing. I'll prolly make the next step to Talent (I think that is after Librarian) after I get done wiping that self-righteous grin off of Miriam's face...
Old June 4, 2001, 14:32   #6
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

I have noticed new resource bonuses pop up from three causes
1. pods, of course, and sometimes they are triggered by AI units outside your viability, and then you suddenly find them where they were not before.
2. change in altitude bracket from falling sea levels or raising sea floor
3. out of nowhere, this and the vanishing ones appear to be part of "random events, if you switch to "Bell Curve", no random events they do not occur.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old June 4, 2001, 15:00   #7
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 11:37
I go for "Bell Curve" Random events. Switch it off and you'll get nothing.
Old June 5, 2001, 03:09   #8
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 13:37
Mostly, this is random. If you got Bell Curve on, this won't happen. However, sometimes due to terraforming still occurs.