Old June 4, 2001, 15:41   #1
Ben E Gas
Settler

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Greatest Cheating Wonder
What is your greatest wonder or acheivment you have made through cheating/changing terrain?

mine was: creating a Great Glacial Wall by changing the terrain. I put the wall completely around my continent. There was also a moat or ocean following that. The only way the AI could get in is by creating 2 cities next to each other on the glacier and passing their ships through. That would have to be done under my watchful eye too.
Old June 4, 2001, 18:41   #2
EdwardTKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:37
Umm - I assume that the glacier wall is two squares thick.

With CIV 1 a tribe could tunnel through with adjacent square cities; but with CIV 2, I am not allowed to found an adjacent city.

So it should work until the AI discovers flight etc. after which your cities will be vulnerable to being strafed and later on nuked and captured by helicopters or parachutists?!
Old June 4, 2001, 22:59   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Pretty cool trick...

The most memorable thing I've ever done is create an inland ship chain by building cities, moving ships into them, then building adjacent cities further inland to move the ships to... and finally disbanding the cities, leaving the ships 'marooned' on dry land. I picked up the idea from Apolyton and I'm not sure if it still works on ToT, though. Gotta try that again...

It was nice having a row of battleships as frontier defense... and I wonder if building fortresses around them would have helped even more?

STYOM
Old June 6, 2001, 11:56   #4
Ben E Gas
Settler

A very good idea with those battleships.
I've done that with only one, I've never tried doing a chain of them.
Old June 6, 2001, 20:11   #5
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben E Gas
A very good idea with those battleships.
I've done that with only one, I've never tried doing a chain of them.
It was fun to set up, but I'm not sure how practical it really was. I had about 1200 shields worth of battleships that couldn't move, and it was a purely defensive posture - something that won't help you conquer the world, for sure. I imagine it would have really p***ed me off if the AI had bribed any of them!

However, next time I have an ithsmus between me and the AI, I think I'll try it again, with one ship and maybe a mech. inf to prevent bribing. Ideally on a mountain... and with a fortress around them. What's that, def=72??

In my current game, on the large earth map, I'm trying to terraform all of Greenland and northern Canada with some excess engineers. Stay tuned.

STYOM
Old June 7, 2001, 06:02   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

You might want to consider a vet A cruiser with that stack or the same turn the AI gets cruise missiles, 40 of them will target every battleship in range. (Oh that's right, AI missiles don't worry about things like range)

RAH
Old June 7, 2001, 09:08   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
My impression is ships wouldn't from forts, they certainly don't benefit from city walls or coastal fortresses. (Message reads something about caught in port.) Anyone ever had one of those ships planted in the ground get attacked. Was it a "normal fight?" I know the theory is to build city, move in ship, turn city to settler, move settler one square inland, repeat. You do this until the ship is where you want (a decidedly tedious process in Civ II). However, I don't recall anyone saying what happens when the ship is attacked.
Old June 8, 2001, 14:05   #8
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I like the ship idea, but use a destroyer instead of a battleship. You don't want the ship defending with its 1/2 power - you just want it to maintain the seaworthiness of the lane. Build a fort and stack a muskie/rifleman/mech there.

Can you build roads through the square where your ship is parked?
Old June 11, 2001, 15:25   #9
Edward
Warlord

Earwicker,

Alas, the mere existence of a ship on a land square doesn't allow other ships to move into the square. You can't leave a string of ships high & dry to create a "canal". (You could use Six Thousand Year Old Man's trick to get a ship (or fleet) across a land mass to a sea on the other side, but you'd have to rebuild and redestroy all the cities each time a new ship/fleet had to cross.)

I think they're using the battleship trick to put a battleship on dry land as a defender. Here it would not suffer the "in port" penalty (since there's no city). In fact, it would have twice the defense and firepower of a mech infantry and more hitpoints too. It can also make a heck of an attack on ground units that stop next to it.