Old June 9, 2000, 15:41   #1
SilverDragon

Virus in my civ2 disk
I just had a virus infection in my civ2 disk, and it infected civ2 on the hard drive as well. The computer had to delete civ2, and if I try to load it back on I will just get a virus again. I will still post here, although I won't be able to participate in occ, scc, or soc until I get a new copy.
Good civin' to everyone except me

Old June 9, 2000, 16:15   #2
Aurelius
Prince

Local Time: 23:37
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Most sad. I've never had a virus to my knowledge. But I did get get some Anti-virus software that found trojan programs (much worse by my estimation)...can virus' be sent via .sav or any of the Civ extentions? I don't know much about these things but dread the day. I got a this software call ZoneAlarm...was wondering if anyone else knew about it?
Old June 9, 2000, 16:16   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

How do you get a virus on a CD if it wasn't there from the outset??
Are you sure that your virus package is not detecting a spurious 'Viral signature'??

Old June 9, 2000, 16:33   #4
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
Scouse, I agree that having a virus on a CD sounds a bit unusual. For that to happen, a the master file used for recording the CDs would have to have it, and that would be a whole production run.

Silver Dragon, is your CD possibly a copy made by a friend from their hard drive? If it is really a factory CD, it is probably safe to reload. You might want to install an anti-virus program first, though.
Old June 9, 2000, 16:37   #5
Aurelius
Prince

"Spurious Viral Signature"

I've got to set my paranoid mind on that one...

Old June 9, 2000, 17:38   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:37
if its an out of the box cd then the maker is liable for any damage.
Old June 10, 2000, 13:23   #7
SilverDragon

Actually, I am the first owner. Now that I think about it, you all are probably right. I tried reinstalling it, and the disk seemed fine. It worked. But then the next time I went into civ2, it said there was a virus again . So it's probably not the disk. It might be a scenario I downloaded from the internet or something. Anyway, I probably have to get a new disk . I have Norton Antivirus, but it says that the only way to get rid of the virus is to delete civ2. I still have the map editor, though .

Old June 14, 2000, 00:41   #8
Campo
Warlord

Local Time: 18:37
You really should not need a new Civ2 CD. There's no way for a virus to write to it; it would have to have come from the manufacturer that way -- not impossible, but unlikely.

Delete Civ2, run an updated virus scanning program to clean all your files, then reinstall Civ2. Just be sure your anti-virus program and definition files are up to date, and scan all files (it may take a while).

If you don't have a current anti-virus program I think you can download a demo version to at least get you working until you update your program. Check the Symantec,
McAfee, or other web sites.