Old June 5, 2001, 10:05   #1
Lordfluffers
Settler

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
On starving cities
Whe I captured enemy cities that I didn't want to keep either because they were too hard to defend, or strategically irrelevent, or too close to one of my own cities I had a rather nasty tendency to starve those cities until they were small enough to disband. This was quite a convenient really and best of all nobody battered an eyelid about the millions that I was purposefully starving to death, not my enemies, nor my allies. Want I want to know is that in Civ3 will other nations become incensed at you starving cities??? Also wouldn't cities that are being starved try to rebel??? I've never heard of whole populations giving up and meekly waiting to die!! Surely there should be some kind of penalty for this evil behaviour!!
Old June 5, 2001, 10:22   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 12:38
Sometimes I've turned to this dark side of being leader myself. I think you should be able to set a city to abandon it. That would take some turns, and result in Settlers and/or Workers for 2/3 of the original city population, and the ruins of the City will be set in fire.

Another thing to do is to make it possible to tell people to move to other cities or some things like that.

(I've always wanted to use the Tactic of Burned Land or what ever it is named in English. (På svenska: "Den brända jordens taktik". (Kan någon ge mig en korrekt översättning?)))
Old June 5, 2001, 10:30   #3
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 05:38
"tactic of burned land" = scorched earth

For historical reference so I'm not taking it out of context, what the Soviets did in retreating from Hitler, delaying the Nazi's enough to get caught by the winter.
Old June 5, 2001, 10:43   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Thanks Serapis. That was what I was looking for.

I've always wanted to use scorched earth in civ as the Russians have done many times.
Old June 6, 2001, 00:42   #5
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 05:38
Have you considered using spies? I find that having an army of spies posion a city down to size 1, and then capturing it is quite effective. And speis aren't very expensive.
Old June 6, 2001, 00:43   #6
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Have you considered using spies? I find that having an army of spies posion a city down to size 1, and then capturing it is quite effective. And speis aren't very expensive.
We were talking about starving our own cities.
Old June 6, 2001, 03:00   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:38
Yeah, a city disband feature would be very useful; at a cost. Obviously you shouldn't be able to recoup all of the original inhabitants (ie, a size 20 wouldn't yield 20 colony pods), and at a cost as well It shouldn't be a feature that is taken lightly...