Old June 7, 2001, 03:47   #1
effendy
Settler

Local Time: 10:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
World Map
Most of the time, I play with world map (medium) in Civilization II instead of the default random map.

I suggest that Firaxis gives the following three Map options in main selection screen:

1. Random map
2. World map
3. Load map

Any ideas what Firaxis plan on doing regarding this feature?
Old June 7, 2001, 04:03   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
I'd like to see the world map come in a series of sizes and Civ offer some popular local maps too e.g. North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Orient, British Isles. I know scenario makers will everntually do all these themselves but it will help to open up the game to the wider audience that won't immediately start surfing for optional downloads from fansites.
Old June 7, 2001, 06:14   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 04:41
The maps that came with CivII are crap. They shouldn't be included as a menu option unless they actually take the time to make good maps. Besides, the Load Map option is the world map option with one more step...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 7, 2001, 11:13   #4
effendy
Settler

Yes, by including the world map in menu option, they open it to wider audience. But they have to create a better, true-to-real world, 0ne standard size world map (than Civ2 ... then it will be really fun. Imagine playing against player located in France who chose Paris as an initial capital in multiplaying setting in a standard real world map.
Old June 7, 2001, 16:17   #5
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

More then three options for maps
I think these should be the options:

1. Random map >

1a. small (same as civ2)
1b. medium (same as civ2)
1c. large (same as civ2)
1d. X-large (one step larger then civ2 large)

2. World Map >

2a. Standard (X-large)
2b. Small (same as civ2 large)

3. Load Map >

3a. Small Maps (example: British Isles)
3b. Medium Maps (example: Europe)
3c. Large Maps (example: World)

The RANDOM MAPS would be like they are in single player civ2.

WORLD MAPS would be maps of the world.

The LOAD MAPS would be historical maps, such as, American Thirteen Colonies, British Isles, Med. Sea, Asia, etc.

and also, perhaps there could be a option to load maps that you made (make) in the map editor.
Old June 7, 2001, 16:34   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 05:41
hell, if you gave me a map editor I'd make maps of every concieveable landscape.

i wouldn't even need the game itslef.

although it WOULD be nice to test them.

(would a map maker allow you to place reosources?
Old June 7, 2001, 20:16   #7
To_Serve_Man
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

(would a map maker allow you to place reosources?
This is such an important part to the Map Editor. I hated in Civ2 when you would play on the World Map and theres Silk and Gems in North America. Plus, this would help scenario makers by letting them place resources in key places to advance the game. An example could be an American Colony scenario (just making this up). If it was random, the map would blow hard. But if the maker could place his/her own resources, they could then create area that promote conflict.
Old June 7, 2001, 21:22   #8
effendy
Settler

Firaxis should improve on map editor as well. Thanks for the reminder. Here's my revised Map Options:

1. Random map
2. World map
3. Load map
4. Edit map <- new addition

I think map sizes should be indicated in filename (under Load Map). Putting map size as part of menu option complicates selections options (easy-access problem) and makes it less appeal to wider audience

I'm surprised that no news and rumor regarding this world map issue.
Old June 7, 2001, 22:28   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
My first game of civ 3 will be on a large World Map..... i doubt i will play it after that if it is remotely like the civ2 world map.

I love civ.... but i hate premade maps. Once you have seen them its too easy to win.

I hate the map generator though equally as much. Small maps are full of rocks. Med Maps are often the best as they allow for continents with water. Large maps , my favorite as they allow at least one ai to grow are often full of winding crappy oemeba shaped shorelines.

A call out to Firaxis...dont' subject us to the waste of a map you call that map generator from Civ2...

Still its an amazing game
Old June 8, 2001, 01:11   #10
Captain
King

I understand Firaxis has been putting a lot more effort into making a good map generator, more continental instead of stringy blobs.

All your options mentioned so far sound good, but what the map really needs are these two things:

1) More ocean. The real world is 70% covered by water. In Civ 2, the world map was maybe 25% water. Just as we want land to be more continental in shape, the ocean should be "ocean-like", not like a channel running in between land masses.

2) More uninhabitable or poor lands. Fertile land in the real world is fairly limited. It's a premium that civs have fought over before. You shouldn't be able to have giant cities everywhere.

I remember in civ 2, the Europe map was ALL grassland. I had monstrously huge cities everywhere! You could have over 60 cities at size 35+!!!! It was ridiculous.
And on the so-called "world" map, I had my largest cities (size 40s) in the middle of Siberia!!!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 8, 2001, 06:00   #11
OneFootInTheGrave
King

The best would be if civ 3 will be able to convert civ 2 maps (as well as scenarios). That would give us access to most of the maps straight after the release.
Old June 8, 2001, 06:35   #12
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 11:41
A preview mentioned 12 scenario boundled with the game. I suppose their related map will be available as predefined map, too.

Of course, I hope not all the scenario will share the same world map!
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old June 10, 2001, 01:25   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i always played my first game of civ, (1 and 2) on the world map, its how i got a handle of the game.