Old June 16, 2000, 19:52   #1
Hackatic
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Cities.
I have been playing alot of civ2 latly. I was wondering how top players build so many cites. I try my best but I still come up short. I build a horse in my first city and then nothing but settlers. It just doesn't seem to help because some how I still don't build as many cities as players like EyesofNight does.
Old June 16, 2000, 20:42   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
well Eyes is a good player.

Do you incrementally rushbuy?

Did you know if you have only 1 city it won't disband?

Are you aggressive in hut hunting?Maybe he gets advancers and nomads.

Don't keep non settlers.Build a city ASAP.I have done a little testing and I beleive you are approx 2/3 more likely to get wandering nomads if you don't allready have a non-settler.

Maybe he sacrifices early science abit to up tax rates slightly for incremental rushbuilding.

Maybe he starts ICS then bleeds out cities later.

course there is another possibility.....I'm not goin there.
Old June 17, 2000, 07:20   #3
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:38
Sometimes when I get good democracy going, I'll find a city with 20+ free shields, get it celebrating WLTxD and designate it a settler city (kind of like a wonder city or a SSC). I'll set a few settlers (or engineers) aside for just building infrastructure roads to new city spots and every 2 turns, my settler turns out a new settler which simply goes to the ready-made spot and founds a city. This will churn out cities pretty fast, as long as you have free space to build. If the city has 10-19 free shields you can partially buy a unit to 30 shields after 1 turn to get the settler the second turn. Later in the game if you want go all out ICS, you can take several 40-shield cities and try it Usually helps to have a military city as well (1 turn defender units) and you have mass-produced, defended modular cities This method also works if you are just really lacking in settlers. build a settler, re-home it. repeat.

*thinks his ICS roots are showing*
Old June 17, 2000, 09:10   #4
East Street Trader
Prince

Smash

I,ve only just learned about the 1st city won't disband point (from another current thread). During dull moments when pursuing my less demanding but financially more rewarded pastime I've been thinking about how to make use of the point but am not making much progress (playing OCC games for the minute so no chance yet to try things out in practical play).

Can you give me any pointers? In the other thread the shields to buy came from hut money and a hut unit. Is that the sort of thing you need? Or is the trick to found somwhere where you can elect to produce shields not food in the first city? And do you crank out one settler only this way or hold back from starting a second city til the tactic has given you 2 (or 3/4/5???) extra settlers?

I'm intrigued.

If there's a lot to say on the topic I wonder if there are relevant archived threads which I could try to dig out?
Old June 17, 2000, 13:31   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Usually you have to find a gold hut 0r 2.Build your capitol and rush a settler before size 2.That settler founds a new city ASAP.

Meanwhile,your 2nd settler can explore a little or build some roads.

Usually just one settler is built this way but more can be done if you have enough gold.
Old June 18, 2000, 14:03   #6
East Street Trader
Prince

Thanks.

I think a gold outcome from an early hut has not thrilled heretofor. Might be a happier bunny about it now.