View Poll Results: would you like to see a version of civilization for a handheld or palm pc's
No, would ruin it with a small screen and all. Its a Dumb idea. 3 23.08%
Yes, wont be so long untill these things are common and will average over 128 megs of space. 8 61.54%
No I hate those things and will never buy 1 0 0%
Yes, but are you sure Palm pcs will have enough popularity and space/features to do this? 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7, 2001, 20:23   #1
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Make a version of civilization for Palm PC's
this concept would be hard but doable.. use low res graphics and other things to mniturize the size of the game to about 8megs and their you go Civilization for palm pcs. It would probably only work with higher quality and newer Handheld pcs but with the ever continueing march of Moores law it would be able to be done soon..
Old June 9, 2001, 03:05   #2
Darkstar
Prince

Local Time: 04:42
I was actually looking through the open source for likely candidates. If you can afford a P/PC, you can afford the storage space to house the game.
Old June 9, 2001, 03:47   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:42
Is this supposed to be a joke? Making Civ for a PDA is just as silly as WAP, maybe even more so.
Old June 9, 2001, 04:05   #4
Darkstar
Prince

Not at all. It's the graphics and multimedia that takes up all the room in Civ. The code isn't very sizable, actually. And things scale down pretty decently, code wise, from my experiments with such. Since most people don't play the movies much, we are already talking small space for the rest. The graphics might need tweaking, but a P/PC should handle the game just fine. It's not like Civ is really a serious number cruncher, so processor limitations shouldn't be a problem. Just a matter of which family of handhelds you are talking.
Old June 9, 2001, 18:33   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

SimCity has already been ported to the Palm OS--how long before someone does that for Civilization...?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 10, 2001, 21:00   #6
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 12:42
Uhm...when I play Civ...I usually play for hours and ususally don't really watch the time...Palm-pc's may run out of battery-power when used by me to play Civ...
Old June 10, 2001, 22:13   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Palm OS palmtops--as opposed to their Windox SE cousins--tend to be very efficient; I think my visor can run for twenty-four continuous hours before I have to consider slapping in another pair of AAAs/
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 11, 2001, 06:54   #8
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 12:42
Ow..I never knew that...that's quite impressive actually...but I'm still a person who's too used to a normal agenda with a normal pen...
Old June 11, 2001, 08:08   #9
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 11:42
System needed for original Civ was way lower than standard on new Palmsized. My sturdy ole PalmIII won't cut it, but I see no reason why I can't be done for VisorPrism, Jornada, iPaq or Cassiopeia.
I've played Civ-games for many years on laptops with way lower battery time than the new palm-sized systems. Screen size will be more of a problem than screen resolution, I think. But I doubt you will find a commercial market. It must be a freeware/GNU project to succeed.
Old June 11, 2001, 16:16   #10
ancient
Prince

No this isnt a joke, with in a few years these things will be very serious buisiness.

I was thinking of this because just the other day i was taking down notes in class with my Palm m500 color PC (with my handy-dandy-mini-keyboard) and I thought boy wouldnt it be kool if i could play civ on this thing. But the more you think about it. Puting this game into a a small portable yet expandable and continuously developing pc would be perfect aside from battery life and size downs. Then i got to thinking about how good the m500 series is and how soon these small pcs will have alot more memory and ram. So maybe make if firaxis would i think a civ for handhelds would be great fun asides from ruining your social life even worst than civ already has..
Old June 12, 2001, 02:26   #11
ACOLKitty
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
Location: Triangle of Death Founding Member and Ambassador to Polytubbie land.
I don't think this will be long in coming. Making games for palmtops will set the market on fire.

ANd Civ isn't that complex.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.
Old June 12, 2001, 16:53   #12
Bohlen
Prince

Although I don't own a Palm, nor do I plan on owning one in the near future, it would be interesting to see how Civ would turn out. That might even force me to buy one. Just think...you could civ anywhere - anytime.
Old June 12, 2001, 21:31   #13
ancient
Prince

could a mod edit the poll to make the poll last longer? the ten day limit was too short.
Old June 12, 2001, 22:48   #14
ACOLKitty
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Bohlen
Although I don't own a Palm, nor do I plan on owning one in the near future, it would be interesting to see how Civ would turn out. That might even force me to buy one. Just think...you could civ anywhere - anytime.
See. Already one person.

Mods can do that.

"ok, fine.
from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
--MarkG

and by MikeH
Old June 13, 2001, 18:03   #15
Darkstar
Prince

Actually, I was thinking of my Pocket PC when I first answered. I know my little Cassiopeia could handle Civ or Civ 2, minus the multimedia. And storage is pretty cheap, as long as you aren't going for the big stuff like IBM's 1 Gig micro drive or the biggest memory cards. The microprocessor in it is superior to the first computer I played Civ1 on... and Civ1's graphics weren't very big...

And if you have been keeping an eye on the whole PDA market, they think that it's going to make the console market look like chump change. There is interest and funding out there for getting games made... and I have yet to see a real ORIGINAL game. Most are clone ports of common games on the PC.

Now... keep in mind that most of those big thinkers and funders are COUNTING your cell phone as a PDA. They think there will be a convergence, and are planning accordingly. Although you can already get phone pdas, so I guess they weren't just blowing hot air.

Face it. If you got a PDA, you want games for it. And as the PDA's increase, so will the game sophistication.
Old June 15, 2001, 12:48   #16
ACOLKitty
Prince

Add a slot for game boy games and they can add the kids market.

"ok, fine.
--MarkG

and by MikeH
Old June 23, 2001, 03:17   #17
b&i_c
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:42
Well the poll is closed now , but I would have been a mix between the small screen ruining it, and the lack of controls.
Whenever I play SMAC on my laptop even, I have to use the "GoTo" option even for moving one square because to turn on the numpad I have to disable the keys: 789uiojklm,.

Using it on a palmtop with only 4 buttons and a stylus just doesn't sound like it would work.
Old June 23, 2001, 04:21   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You underestimate the power of the stylus...

Instead of using arrows, you simply tap the stylus next to the unit, on whichever side you want it to move to.

Taptaptap...
Old June 28, 2001, 17:47   #19
tniem
King

You can get Sim City and a host of other pc games now that have been ported to Palm. Does anyone know if someone out there with the skills to do this would be willing to convert the original Civ to the Palm?

The original Civ is now distributed free over the net so I don't think there would be copyright issues. Just a thought. I would do it if I knew how to.
Old June 28, 2001, 17:53   #20
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:42
If they port civ to a palm pilot, I think taking the bus in the morning won't be quite so painful.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 28, 2001, 17:58   #21
SerapisIV
King

Figure it would be a Pocket PC application first, less so then the PalmOS application. Much less porting needed.
Old June 29, 2001, 14:53   #22
pchang
King

Local Time: 10:42
Unless Palms get a holographic display, this is a pretty stupid idea.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old June 29, 2001, 15:03   #23
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:42
Why?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old June 29, 2001, 16:52   #24
pchang
King

Local Time: 10:42
The map would consist of one city and square immediately around it. You could never get a feel for the global situation.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old June 30, 2001, 10:51   #25
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Hey--perfect for that OCC I've always wanted to try!