Old June 8, 2001, 15:02   #1
Eternal
King

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CSPL help?
I'd like to use CSPL for a little scenario I'm thinking about where America is a dictatorship struggling for control over North America.

However I have no idea how to use the thing, so I may need someone's assistance. Would anyone here be able to make the CSPL events for me? I just want to know now because without CSPL I get the feeling it won't be worth the effort.
Old June 10, 2001, 12:30   #2
St Leo 2

Do you have anything resembling a C++ compiler? Microsoft's rather expensive Visual C++ (part of Visual Studio) is the compiler of choice for Wintel machines.

Old June 11, 2001, 02:42   #3
Eternal
King

Local Time: 05:42
I have Vis. C++ 6.0 starter kit that comes with a compiler that lets you know every time you run the .exe that that .exe is not to be distributed. I'll be able to get my hands on a actual Visual C++ 5.0 compiler I believe.

See I don't know anything about this compiler businesses.
Old June 13, 2001, 01:32   #4
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 03:42
Unfortunately, at the moment there aren't any CSPL experts out there (other than Angelo). On the other hand, as the "editor" of the CSPL manual (and a total C++ ignoramus), I must say it seems fairly straightforward. In Chapter 2, Angelo shows you where to get the free Borland C++ compiler and also provides links to free C++ tutorials. Best of all, the manual is VERY step-by-step, so if your scenario needs CSPL events, why not give it a shot?
Old June 28, 2001, 06:41   #5
Angelo Scotto
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Warlord

Local Time: 10:42
St Leo: Be careful, Borland C++ Compiler and Microsoft Visual C++ are not fully compatible.
I started to realize CSPL with VC++ but soon i moved to Borland platform ('cause it's free and i don't want someone has to buy VC++ just to use CSPL).

The problem is the library file, VC++ creates them using COFF format (if i remember well:Common Object File Format, yes, i checked) while Borland use OMF (Object Module Format) so you can't use CSPL library (which was created with Borland) with VC++ programs.
(Well, this is not totally true, you can try to convert CSPL.lib from OMF to COFF using EditBin, a VC++ program, but it's a bit complicate)

Maybe in a future version i'll add both lib versions (COFF and OMF) but for now i suggest you to download the freecompiler from Borland

Eternal: I'm afraid i cannot help you right now, try to battle a bit with the examples, you should be able to understand how things works.