Old July 3, 2001, 00:23   #31
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
never used stealth planes in a real game,, never had a need to .. ground units seem to do enough damage and then comes NUKES !!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old July 3, 2001, 00:42   #32
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Every government on Earth has a satellite schedule, yes, but they can only avoid the satellites they think have cameras. The problem is, there are so many hunks of metal in orbit by now that it is nearly impossible to find any time when no satellites at all are overhead. It's a game of chances; how many satellites will do fly-byes in the time it takes to do what we need to do, and what is the probability that one of them has an unannounced camera tucked away on it?
Let's just said, you should not believe your statement. You might be surprise about what the US Military knows.

Old July 3, 2001, 00:48   #33
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

the cia know exactly what colour underwear your girlfriend wearing ,, or not wearing for that matter !!!!
Old July 3, 2001, 01:06   #34
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

Let's just said, you should not believe your statement. You might be surprise about what the US Military knows.
The american military knows if the French decide to sneak a camera onto the latest Eriksson satellite just before it takes off?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 3, 2001, 01:50   #35
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
the CIA know exactly what color underwear your girlfriend wearing ,, or not wearing for that matter !!!!
President Jimmy Carter try to stop all of this. After the Iran incident in the dessert, had to start over. Regan lifted the band on their activity.
KrazyHorse; No comment.

Old July 3, 2001, 02:14   #36
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

i seen some pretty cool sat pics that get damn close up !! so if the free to see pics are that good would love to see the ones the military has access to ...

Big Brother is watching
Old July 3, 2001, 03:34   #37
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 12:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
the cia know exactly what colour underwear your girlfriend wearing ,, or not wearing for that matter !!!!
i would not be so sure about it.
it allegedly could not find chinese embassy on belgrade city map.
Old July 3, 2001, 03:39   #38
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

mmm...plausible deniability.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 3, 2001, 04:03   #39
Rollo_CH
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:43
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

Well...maybe they mistook "Belgrade" for "Beijing" and decided to have a go at it anyway and later shoot the navigator?
Old July 3, 2001, 04:33   #40
LaRusso
King

or perhaps they actually had those panties wrapped around their head when they were choosing a target?
Old July 3, 2001, 06:34   #41
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:

I for one would not believe that story. Every Gov. on Earth has a satellites schedule.
Hello Joseph1944!
May I try to clarify the news, as I know them?

OFF TOPIC

The problem isn't with survelliance satellite, is with ground based transmitter/receiver of cellular (mobile) net.

When a stealth plane flight near the terrain (common HiLoHi or LoLoLo missions), its presence can interfere with mobile net transmission: that "shadowing" effect can be monitorized and, with a crosscheck on more transmitter on the grid they can obtain the position of the "shadow", hence of the stealth plane itself.

If that's correct, is still not very useful, because of at least three reason:

1) stealth is not meant to be absolutely invisible to any radar or similar early warning instrument. It's intended to reduce the range of "visibility", so the enemy haven't enough time to react, and its low signature means that a enemy weapon have difficult to lock on the plane long enough to hit it.
2) during a main attack others planes have the job of jamming enemy radar: it's very easy to jam any civil net of mobile communication, because it's not built hardened enough to stay functional under electronic attack
3) the common mobile net is built to make it easy to follow any mobile phone that is made to be located, usually at speed quite lower than 300 Km/h
It's not as a walk in the park to modify a civil system to grab exact route of a plane flighting 800 Km/h, AFAIK

It seems to me lot of people mix satellite ability to take (very close) still shoot of terrain, buildings and vehicles with the ability to discover, follow and intercept in real time an attacking plane
"Look! It was a F117 than bombed us two hours ago! I can see the underwear of the pilot! Cool!
/OFF TOPIC

Really, Firaxis team should try to put some method into the news they publish:
- Draw the main concept of the game (eventually someone in the world can be too joung to know all the saga), then try to list features that are definitelly the same of Civ 2/SMAC - no way they change.
- Then tell us what is almost carved in stone, as probably are Tech tree (mostly at least), graphics (if not final, then tell us screenshots are displaying placeholders, not final tiles), etc.
- Then tell us some milestones, e.g. "first of september we'll chose if open a public beta or not", "Mid october we'll decide about a demo release before full game or not".

Heck, do they have a team leader,or not? It's not as we are asking to tell us real secret info about their project.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 3, 2001, 15:06   #42
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
The problem isn't with surveillance satellite, is with ground based transmitter/receiver of cellular (mobile) net.

A)When a stealth plane flight near the terrain (common HiLoHi or LoLoLo missions), its presence can interfere with mobile net transmission: that "shadowing" effect can be monitorized and, with a crosscheck on more transmitter on the grid they can obtain the position of the "shadow", hence of the stealth plane itself.

If that's correct, is still not very useful, because of at least three reason:

1) stealth is not meant to be absolutely invisible to any radar or similar early warning instrument. It's intended to reduce the range of "visibility", so the enemy haven't enough time to react, and its low signature means that a enemy weapon have difficult to lock on the plane long enough to hit it.
2) during a main attack others planes have the job of jamming enemy radar: it's very easy to jam any civil net of mobile communication, because it's not built hardened enough to stay functional under electronic attack
3) the common mobile net is built to make it easy to follow any mobile phone that is made to be located, usually at speed quite lower than 300 Km/h
It's not as a walk in the park to modify a civil system to grab exact route of a plane flighting 800 Km/h, AFAIK
It seems to me lot of people mix satellite ability to take (very close) still shoot of terrain, buildings and vehicles with the ability to discover, follow and intercept in real time an attacking plane
"Look! It was a F117 than bombed us two hours ago! I can see the underwear of the pilot! Cool! :LoL:
A) If this is the case, then China, US, Russia, Britain, Germany?, Japan?, France, Canada would be using this tech help to find Stealth Aircraft. If those country could monitor the cell ph. network and saw these shallow, they could launch aircraft to the area and search for the Stealth plane.
1. Correct
2. When the Stealth planes fly, they do not want anybody or anything near them. No jammer at all. Reason; if a jammer aircraft show up and start to jam, then the enemy know something is going to happen real soon. He can then fill the air with anit-aircraft flack or sent up fighter to look for what every is coming. We only have two jammer right now. EA-6 and ES-3 both Navy aircraft. The Air Force EF-111 has been retired. The Navy may have loaned the Air Force some of their EA-6.
3. N/A

Old July 3, 2001, 17:46   #43
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:43
Quote:
Really, Firaxis team should try to put some method into the news they publish:
- Draw the main concept of the game (eventually someone in the world can be too joung to know all the saga), then try to list features that are definitelly the same of Civ 2/SMAC - no way they change.
- Then tell us what is almost carved in stone, as probably are Tech tree (mostly at least), graphics (if not final, then tell us screenshots are displaying placeholders, not final tiles), etc.
- Then tell us some milestones, e.g. "first of september we'll chose if open a public beta or not", "Mid october we'll decide about a demo release before full game or not".
This would be great for Firaxis to do.
Old July 4, 2001, 03:34   #44
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:

A) If this is the case, then China, US, Russia, Britain, Germany?, Japan?, France, Canada would be using this tech help to find Stealth Aircraft. If those country could monitor the cell ph. network and saw these shallow, they could launch aircraft to the area and search for the Stealth plane.
That was the news as I have read few days ago. It emerged as a recent discovery (from australian researcher? i don't remember well). True or false, it doesn't surprise me that new discover about counter-stealth tech will appear for the next years.
Useful or not on battlefield... well, I hope we haven't the need to see it on real war.

Quote:
2. When the Stealth planes fly, they do not want anybody or anything near them. No jammer at all. Reason; if a jammer aircraft show up and start to jam, then the enemy know something is going to happen real soon. He can then fill the air with anit-aircraft flack or sent up fighter to look for what every is coming. We only have two jammer right now. EA-6 and ES-3 both Navy aircraft. The Air Force EF-111 has been retired. The Navy may have loaned the Air Force some of their EA-6.
Correct, AFAIK. But that is current tactic: change the menace and the tactic will change. Just for sake of discussion, I suppose that you can saturate with jamming an area large enough to make the flak response unuseful: to add more, some false alarm and they are in trouble. Or suppress with early attack the grid of mobile transmitter (easy target, AFAIK).
Again, you can already suppose from some electronic echo that a stealth is in flight somewhere into an area: intercepting it is another story.

We pleased ourselves with some chat about stealth, now back to the topic: is 4th july a good excuse for Firaxis not to update a world useful site?
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old July 4, 2001, 05:56   #45
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

This would be great for Firaxis to do.
every morning i log on, i cannot believe it has been month and a half since they bothered to post a piece of information on the so-called 'official website'.

the fact that one can learn more on apolyton than on firaxis site about the game is flattering for apolyton and embarassing for firaxis
Old July 4, 2001, 18:29   #46
TechWins
King

Local Time: 03:43
Quote:
the fact that one can learn more on apolyton than on firaxis site about the game is flattering for apolyton and embarassing for firaxis
No kidding it is. Their site is pathetic. At least they could do is inform us of something new each month and answer most of our questions. I find it hard to believe that they can only answer about six questions because I'm positvie they get more than six questions a month.
Old July 5, 2001, 03:44   #47
JellyDonut
Prince

Go ahead, Firaxis. Toss the dogs a bone. A screenshot, an FAQ extension, anything. I would like to hear about the "new ways to win."

Arf arf.
Old July 5, 2001, 04:35   #48
LaRusso
King

dream on.
arf, arf....