Old June 9, 2001, 04:42   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some interesting tidbits from Norwegian preview
This Norwegian Civ-3 preview gives mostly already known Civ-3 info, but some is interesting however:

About war:

- You have now the ability to build strategical ICBM's, which should mean that you freely can hit any spot on the worldmap. You can also build tactical nucs that you can place on appropriate naval vessels.
- The combat-system is tweaked so that if your army initiates an attack, then your attack-units is used first. If your army gets attacked however, then your most defensive units takes the blow first.

About diplomacy: (my underlining & my comments within bracketts).

"In Civ-1 and 2, diplomacy didnt play a major role. In this version, diplomacy is on of the most important ways to success. You have to have resource-access in order to build things (units). A legion demands iron, and nucs demands uranium, and so on. These resources is however not always that easy accessible though, and then one have a choice: Either you can get them by force, or you can get them by diplomacy. If you choose the first alternative, you can loose the support of previously friendly nations, and they can blockade your trade-routes. (the trade-routes that you previosly have established with them, and redirect their own ones with other AI-civs instead, I guess).

Because of this, its now very important that you establish serious diplomacy agreements & alliances with other Civ-nations. Such agreements could mean that you pay for imported resources, or exchange them with other ones. (in more binding, but time-limited trade-/resource-treatys, I guess). Here, its also possible to initiate "advanced" diplomacy, there you go deeper into the negotiations. If all your foreign affairs goes mostly through diplomacy, and less or none is dealt by active wars - then you have a chance of winning the game, by being appointed as the general secretary in the United Nations."

Last edited by Ralf; June 9, 2001 at 07:37.
Old June 9, 2001, 08:15   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 10:43
Thanks for the info Ralf!!

Very interesting indeed.
Old June 9, 2001, 09:02   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:43
Good, I always liked the diplomatic victory option.
Old June 9, 2001, 10:06   #4
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I'm doubtful of whether it's newsworthy, I'm afraid- none of this info is new, most of it probably from the PC Gameplay preview from two months ago.
Old June 9, 2001, 14:01   #5
Ralf
King

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
I'm doubtful of whether it's newsworthy, I'm afraid- none of this info is new, most of it probably from the PC Gameplay preview from two months ago.
First two positive responses, then Snapcase replies that hes doubtful whether it was worth posting.

Last edited by Ralf; June 9, 2001 at 14:32.
Old June 9, 2001, 21:19   #6
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I was just pondering whether to post it as a News Item or not. I decided against it- people have complained that we've been too generous with posting contentless previews in the past.