Old June 15, 2000, 13:44   #1
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Is he a vet?
Unless I've missed something the game doesn't tell us if an enemy unit is a greenie or a vet. Many times I'd sure like to know. Especially early on. Especially at sea.

Now I wonder if there are clues about. is it known that the Mongols always build barracks? Do the English always build ports? What about the less warlike civs? Maybe they never build such things. How often do surviving AI units get awarded vet status after combat? If the answer is known to be "always" any enemy unit seen to be carrying some damage is a vet.

Maybe there are other clues?

If we ARE told this and I've missed it, glad to be put right. Otherwise ideas or sign posts to earlier relevant threads welcome.

East Street Trader
Old June 15, 2000, 15:34   #2
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:38
IIRC, when all moves are done on your turn, right-click on the enemy unit and and it tells you what it is in the right-hand screen.
Old June 16, 2000, 03:21   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

Way to go, Steve! Just tried this in a saved game and I see where it is now. Looks as tho you can right click anytime to get the low down.

I'm a fairly militarily challenged dude as far as offense goes and I reckon I've got to improve that area of my game if I want to try MP and do more than just cling on. I'm hoping your tip will help.
Old June 16, 2000, 18:51   #4
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
D'oh! Thanks Steve, I did not know that.

Old June 17, 2000, 07:44   #5
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:38
Steve - I tried this on 2.42 and it didn't seem to work. I loaded an old save where I was the English, went into cheat mode, set map to German, and toggled vet status on an archer that the English could see. He showed as "vet archer" when I right-clicked on him as the Germans, but when I set the map view back to English and turned off cheat mode, he was just "German archer".
Old June 17, 2000, 08:49   #6
East Street Trader
Prince

I'm confused. I just tried to duplicate what I did before and I can't find an opponent unit who'se shown to be a vet. The status of my own units IS shown.

I'm starting to think that when I right clicked around before I accidentally clicked on one or two units of my own colour without noticing and they were the ones where vet appeared.

Even if Steve is wrong tho' I'm glad to have looked closer at this window. I've noticed that the little beaker changes from green to red just before research on a tech is completed. Can't see much use for that yet but information is power and the designers (whom I hold in the highest regard, sire) thought I deserved a constant reminder about this so I'm glad to have noticed.

In the same vein, anyone know what the figures ("5.0.5" or some such) are all about? The ones which appear next to the amount of gold my civ has?

PS I play on 2.42 also, in case that is significant to this. Also, Steve, I meant to ask before. "IIRC" appears quite often but I can't suss it out. Enlightenment welcome.
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 17, 2000, 08:55   #7
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 18:38
quote:

In the same vein, anyone know what the figures ("5.0.5" or some such) are all about? The ones which appear next to the amount of gold my civ has?

That shows you luxuries, tax and science settings not necessarily in that order (don't have Civ II here on this computer to look it up )
Old June 17, 2000, 09:18   #8
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The correct order is tax-lux-sci.

And IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
[This message has been edited by Paul (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 17, 2000, 10:29   #9
East Street Trader
Prince

Thanks SCG, also Paul. I'm certainly learning things from this thread - but not, unless there's something in Steve's notion after all that is, anything about how to tell if he's a vet?

Maybe I'll have to continue strolling up and making a polite enquiry. If I'm still around after the dust settles he probably wasn't.

Can't resist another question. On the screen of my computer (this is my daughter's (she's out) - better processor, better sound/video cards, ISDN connection - some people have all the luck) it's 300AD in OCC11 and my settler is awaiting instructions on whether to irrigate a plains square or to forest it. The answer may depend on whether silk turns to coal or wine when an engineer terraforms the land to make hills. I'm only here right now cause I saw the answer to that one in these threads BUT I CAN'T FIND IT.

Help appreciated.
Old June 17, 2000, 10:59   #10
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Silk -> Wine.

------------------
Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
[This message has been edited by Hasdrubal (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 17, 2000, 11:15   #11
East Street Trader
Prince

Thanks, Hasdrubal. Forest then. Got a feeling I'm wrong tho' - food is in even shorter supply than shields and maybe I need more food before I need more shields. But what the heh, if I spend this long on every decision I'm gonna reach Alpha Centauri in game year 2000 something, real time 3000 something.
Old June 17, 2000, 11:55   #12
East Street Trader
Prince

I asked for help here to recover from a blunder I made while playing OCC11. But then belatedly realised that a reader who intended to tackle the challenge but hadn't started yet would not welcome coming across information about it in an unexpected place - so I'm editing the post out.

Didn't think the earlier post caused the same problem so left that alone.

Still cross about the blunder. Do'h, do'h DO'H!!!
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 17, 2000).]</font>
[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 19, 2000, 13:39   #13
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:38
Me wrong? Naaaah.

In playing a scenario this weekend, I did verify that you can right-click anytime to get the type of enemy unit. I have used this since I started playing Civ so I can write down in my log the opponents and outcomes of each battle. You're probably right in that it would not say if it's veteran or not.

About IIRC. Up until recently, I have seen that without knowing what it meant. What I did was go to www.ask.com and type in, 'what is IIRC'. It also stands for If I Recall Correctly.
Old June 19, 2000, 17:02   #14
East Street Trader
Prince

Steve

Your link much appreciated. I tried it with "What's it all about?" but Jeeves frankly admitted he didn't know. He pointed me in the direction of some other experts and I thought "science" might have the answer. At the moment science is thinking about it. I'll let you know the answer when science gets through cogitating.

Probably should have asked about life the universe and everything. But I think some computer already computed that one.

Don't have the balls to ask about women.

Meanwhile, looks like I've drawn a blank on my question about vets. When that bloody ellie comes along I'll just have to keep hitting him first and worrying about his battle scars later.
Old June 19, 2000, 17:54   #15
Aurelius
Prince

They probably don't wear Vet on their sleaves--or I wouldn't want the enemy to know if I were vet or greenie. In fact, I think Vet's usually put a helmut on a stick and raise it in the air before they really come out from under cover....

Oh, and ask Jeeves about women and certainly don't take a civboy's advice
Old June 19, 2000, 19:30   #16
East Street Trader
Prince

Heah!

Not gettin' any answers here I decided to ask Jeeves my question about vets. Got lots of answers. Starting with stuff about some guy whose a veteran of 100 weddings!

Wow.

Now there's a guy who ought to have kept his helmut on. Don't know what he waves in the air tho'.

Kinda hard to tell whether he would be a guy who knows a lot about women or pretty much nothing at all.

Only thing I ever learned is not to underestimate the power of the demon drink. And I learned that far too late to do me any good.