Old June 19, 2000, 22:53   #1
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:38
Local Date: October 30, 2010
uncovering hidden specials
It seems to me that I've seen something about being able to turn certain squares into specials by mining them, if they "should" be specials according to the pattern, but aren't. But I tried doing this and had no luck. Can anybody point me to an answer?
Old June 19, 2000, 23:19   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In light of the much more considered information provided below, I've decided to delete my original and far less technically attuned advice.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 01:33   #3
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
If you are doing it after Apollo, look to see if the specials are a part of a 'real' 4 special pattern, they come in groups of three and 4, parts of the 3 may form half of a 4.
eg, if you look and see 'fish, fish, whale...now theres a 'hidden' silk, wait and find out if that is the 'real' 4 special square.
Old June 20, 2000, 01:52   #4
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Seeker

Read your post twice but can't catch your meaning.

Would it be a bore to repeat it with subtitles?

(Course I've only just woken up so maybe I'll get the point if I try again later when the caffeine level's been restored).
Old June 20, 2000, 02:02   #5
Seeker
Emperor

Specials come in groups of 3 and 4.

If you have built Apollo's to see the map, you can see if you're in a 3 special pattern for your new city, or a 4 special pattern area. Obviously, if you are in the middle of a three special area, don't waste your settler mining that grassland.
Old June 20, 2000, 03:34   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If you have the map editor installed, open it and generate a 'new' world--one that is all ocean. This will show you the 'true' pattern, of which the 4-special 'pinwheel' is the most recognizible aspect. Go to 'tools' and play with the 'Resource Seed'; you'll see that the way whales and fish are placed changes, but the overall pattern remains.

Now make a swath of grassland, as large as you like; you'll find that the shield pattern is really quite simple--sort of an elongated checkerboard. There may be exceptions to the pattern at the seam (on a round world).

Finally, make a swath of prarie, swamp, whatever. This will show you the pattern of the huts. With enough practice, you should be able to predict with close to 90% accuracy. Generally speaking, if it would complete two pinwheels, it's a sure bet; if it would complete four, look again, because you're seeing things...
Old June 20, 2000, 13:09   #7
jpk
Prince

This is the easiest rule for specials that I know:

If a square has a special and you count 8 squares either east or west, then that square will also have a special, perhaps hidden.

The only exception is if the circumference of your world is not divisible by 8. Then there might be goofy things going on in one vertical swath of the map. If you do not see any goofiness either north or south of the region in question then I do not believe there will be any goofiness pertaining to the square in question.

I never play on a flat map so I know nothing about the situation on such maps.
Old June 20, 2000, 14:12   #8
The Mad Viking
King

jpk:
that is correct, except some rows have bonus specials. These rows goe S-2-S-4-repeat, with the numerals representing the non-special tiles between the 'S' specials. Basically, there is an every 8th tile pattern, with an extra special off-centre between the every 8th. Again the pattern is discernable. Using these patterns, I have been 100% accurate in locating special grasslands. (I have not experienced the non-divisible by 8 map.)
Old June 21, 2000, 09:58   #9
East Street Trader
Prince

I suspect I speak for many when I say.

Wow.

Now, Debeest, aren't you just glad you asked!