Old June 10, 2001, 23:31   #1
ContradictioN

Editing the Graphics
I'm an artist, and want to edit some of the land graphics, but I dunno how to extract them from the files, if anyone can do it for me or teach me how to do it, I'd really appreciate it

thanks

Old June 11, 2001, 12:38   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The land and tile-improvement graphics are stored in the *.til files (default/graphics/tiles) but so far no-one has got into them

I sure hope anyone who can program will give it a go, if this letter fails. I sent the letter to Locutus to send it to Activision tonight, so hopefully we will get some response soon. Believe me, if there was any way, I would be as happy as anyone, and I have tried loads of ways.
Old June 11, 2001, 13:55   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 12:45
What is the exact meaning of land graphics?

Here are some possible answers:

Land graphics that could mean graphics of land units, land cities and land goods. No problems about that.

You could mean the graphics in the Great Library of land units. No problem about it.

But here is the final answer and I am afraid you mean this. Land graphics: You mean the graphics of land terrain or tile improvements. These graphics can be found in the *.til files but don't ask me how to extract the graphics from these files. There is no *.til file editor available yet.

Here is something from a thread:

Quote:
originally posted by Immortal Wombat at 30-05-2001 21:31 in http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=17367
On a related topic, I emailed Martin the Dane (creator of the *.zfs editor for CTP) about whether he would have a go at writing some software than will decompress .til files, cos Activision are such gits... He has agreed to give it a shot, so things are looking more hopeful.
I don't know how far is Martin the Dane, but he had not enough time to finish it either.

-Martin
Old June 12, 2001, 05:58   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Martin the Dane emailed me back and said, unfortunatly, he had had no luck in finding a way to decompress the graphics, so we're relying on Activision now.

However, as a temporary measure, if you create goods sprites that look like terrain, and have them as goods only for a self-made terrain which *has* the same graphic as say, Plains, then get every TERRAIN_NEW_PLAINS tile to spawn a good at start-up, then you could get any covering you want on top of the tile.
BlueO used this ability as a basis for the city expansion mod, but there is one disadvantage, and that is that you could end up with lots and lots of it on a map, and the AI would trade it quite frequently, making for some odd-looking trade-routes.